Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2022 2:08:08 PM EDT
I've toyed with picking one of these up, but lacked the education to make an informed decision.  So I balked on it.  

I get a call a couple weeks ago from my favorite LGS owner and he says he's letting go of a few things, knew I had interest, and thought I'd want a "nice" M1.  He told me the price, I met him at the shop and bought it.

I had previously bought a Remington Rand 1911 from him and it was everything he said it was.  So I took him at his word and bought thr garand.

I have looked up all numbers and they're all SA and in the year of mfg for the rifle (969xxx, late 1942).  There's no rust, zero pitting.

Anyway, I still don't know everything about the rifle and had hoped you guys could help.  I bought a 1942 bayonet from him for $150 to go with the rifle.  He threw in a leather scabbard, also dated 1942.

Sorry for the bad pictures. If there's something else you need to see, let me know.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle, the Lock Bar sight is a nice bonus!  Might be a winchester lock bar sight drum with the open arrow ends,......if my rusty brain remembers the trivia right.  

Looks like a solid authentic rifle!  Having the WW2 era sight when most don’t is a huge plus as well as that original 1942 barrel!  My 10-41 barrel is muzzle worn but I leave it alone!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifle, the Lock Bar sight is a nice bonus!  Might be a winchester lock bar sight drum with the open arrow ends,......if my rusty brain remembers the trivia right.  

Looks like a solid authentic rifle!  Having the WW2 era sight when most don’t is a huge plus as well as that original 1942 barrel!  My 10-41 barrel is muzzle worn but I leave it alone!
View Quote

Yeah, I havent taken the sight apart and probably won't for a bit.

I did field strip and write down all parts numbers.  Trigger, op rod, hammer, etc etc. Are all SA and 1942 mfg.

Eta: if there's anything I need to check or look at, please let me know.  I'm trying to learn, but the minutia for these is as bad as old 1911s (which I know after 20 years).
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice!

I got a CMP fairly recently. It was in slightly better shape, but a complete hodgepodge of parts. I think it had IH, Winchester, and maybe H&R too in a Springfield receiver.

Still, shoots nice. Enjoy yours!  Pretty damned cool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice!

I got a CMP fairly recently. It was in slightly better shape, but a complete hodgepodge of parts. I think it had IH, Winchester, and maybe H&R too in a Springfield receiver.

View Quote

This one came from the cmp. I think he said it was 5-7 years ago.

The stock has some gouges in, pretty good ones. I'm not going to bother cleaning or sealing it.  It's an honest rifle and  the dents and dings add some character.

I got a little excited when all the small part numbers were SA and mfg within the same year.

Trying to revive the leather scabbard.  Slowly conditioning with Pecards.  Hoping to get it pliable enough for the rifle to fit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't see the bayonet very clearly, but those old sword bayonets were worth a premium. See them mostly on 03A3's a trench shotguns. You're M1 looks like a fine example to me. It appears to have a leaded receiver based on the two tone color on the rear, but that's just from re-heat treating. Shouldn't be an issue as I recall. Nice rifle scabbard too! Those are pricey! I'd say you made out pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Good buy
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice correct looking Garand, op. Looks good.

I picked up a CMP field grade Springfield Garand today, it came with CMP hardcase and papers. I traded a Blue Sky carbine for it. The carbine was nice but I think I got the better end of the deal. It's a Korean War era Garand with all correct Springfield parts. I'll post up a thread about it after I take it to the range.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Who’s cartouche is on the stock?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice. Ashamed to admit I don't have one yet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The stock has some gouges in, pretty good ones. I'm not going to bother cleaning or sealing it.  It's an honest rifle and  the dents and dings add some character.

I got a little excited when all the small part numbers were SA and mfg within the same year.

Trying to revive the leather scabbard.  Slowly conditioning with Pecards.  Hoping to get it pliable enough for the rifle to fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

I was happy to get a Springfield receiver, just because I tease my buddy that has an SAI M1A. Don’t miss a chance to tell him I have a real Springfield. I’d rather more of the parts were matching manufacturer like yours, but I’m still happy.

Enjoy shooting it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#18]
You just came here and posted all those pictures to brag and make us jealous.

It worked.

I'm especially jealous of the bayonet.

Thanks for sharing.  It's a beauty!
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I own two from CMP.  You did real good on the bayonet!
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I own two from CMP.  You did real good on the bayonet!
View Quote

ETA:  I got my C&R to have my rifles delivered to my door, because WA state is fucked by liberals.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can't see the bayonet very clearly, but those old sword bayonets were worth a premium. See them mostly on 03A3's a trench shotguns. You're M1 looks like a fine example to me. It appears to have a leaded receiver based on the two tone color on the rear, but that's just from re-heat treating. Shouldn't be an issue as I recall. Nice rifle scabbard too! Those are pricey! I'd say you made out pretty well.
View Quote

Thank you for the info on the receiver.  I didn't know that and appreciate the information.

I just thought the bayonet was a nice addition, so I bought it.  

I'd like to find some original straps for the scabbard.  I just applied the second coat of pecards to the leather...its gonna take time since the leather is really hard.  It's softening some, but I'm going slow so I don't change the color.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who’s cartouche is on the stock?
View Quote

It's got a P on the grip.  Where would other cartouches be?  If they aren't gouged up, I'll find them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You just came here and posted all those pictures to brag and make us jealous.

It worked.

I'm especially jealous of the bayonet.

Thanks for sharing.  It's a beauty!
View Quote

I was pretty excited to luck into a locally owned M1 from the cmp.  Even moreso since I know the prior owner well and he's trustworthy.  I rarely if ever buy a firearm or vehicle without researching it to death so I took a leap of faith on this one.  Just glad I didn't end up with a POS.

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
You lucky schmoe
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice.  Congrats
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I took a leap of faith on this one.  Just glad I didn't end up with a POS.

View Quote
You did extremely well for a blind purchase.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Springfield also made an open arrowed rear sight if I am not mistaken.
View Quote

Correct but that one looks quite rough so it "could" be a WRA windage knob.

To me it also looks like it may be a type I that someone had put a dab of weld on the end of the pinion to keep it in place.  Which is both a shame and a pretty neat way of fixing the problem the Type I's had.

Personally I would not removed the rear sight as it may never go back together.

The front sight has a later style hex head in it as well.  The early ones had more space around them as they were meant to have a tamper seal over the head.  But with the gas cylinder being cut like it is it makes sense the hex bolt was changed.

Would love to see the guts on this one.  It looks like a wartime field rebuild rather than a post war factory rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice Garand!  The Lockbar is a nice addition.  Congrats on your first Garand.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#29]
You did really well.
6 digit with lock bars, possibly the original barrel and an og bayo for 150. wow.
If he didn’t overcharge you for the rifle you should buy him lunch.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Nicely done...yours was made a couple months after mine.

Always loved the super deep serial stampings on the SA receivers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

To me it also looks like it may be a type I that someone had put a dab of weld on the end of the pinion to keep it in place.  Which is both a shame and a pretty neat way of fixing the problem the Type I's had.

The front sight has a later style hex head in it as well.  The early ones had more space around them as they were meant to have a tamper seal over the head.  But with the gas cylinder being cut like it is it makes sense the hex bolt was changed.

Would love to see the guts on this one.  It looks like a wartime field rebuild rather than a post war factory rebuild.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Springfield also made an open arrowed rear sight if I am not mistaken.

I'll get it apart and take pictures of the guts.  I'll take all the information I can on this.

Just not real sure what I should looking for other than the numbers on the parts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You did really well.
6 digit with lock bars, possibly the original barrel and an og bayo for 150. wow.
If he didn’t overcharge you for the rifle you should buy him lunch.

View Quote

I paid $1,050 for the rifle which I thought was fair.  Again, flying almost completely blind on the purchase.  I figured that even a POS M1 would be worth that much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#33]
As stated earlier, need to see any stock cartouches. If it has any, they will be on the left side of the stock under the elevation drum. Also, is the gas plug a single slot or poppet type?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As stated earlier, need to see any stock cartouches. If it has any, they will be on the left side of the stock under the elevation drum. Also, is the gas plug a single slot or poppet type?
View Quote

Thanks. I'll get some pics of both and post them here.

Work has been a little crazy and I haven't been able to break the rifle down again and post what I see.  But I'll get on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top