Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/15/2021 12:54:18 AM EDT
With all the stuff going on in GD lately.....we have a M1/M1A picture thread, but can I start one in here for carbines? My favorite gun, really....so light and handy, and the history of their production fascinates me.

Wish I had a better quality shot of this but it was taken pre-digital cameras. Need to do another "gun on the stump" shot sometime with it and a better camera (if I can find another stump, this one's long gone).

Attachment Attached File

It's an Underwood with a rather interesting serial number ending in 4444. Arlington Ordnance import (didn't notice that when I bought it 20 years ago, the mark is so small it looked like a scratch on the underside of the barrel) so it probably came back from Korea.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm always up to posting pictures of my Carbines

2 USGI Inlands, a Fulton Armory, a "Howa" Made in Japan Royal Thai Police issue based on a Winchester USGI receiver and a 1966 Plainfield.

I've been doing Boyd's stocks for the Inlands, just finished 1 this week for one and I'll be moving the stock from it to the Plainfield as soon as I change the barrel band from the Plainfield one to a USGI Type 2 repro.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Carbines are just wonderful !!

I need to go shoot ours sometime soon.
It's a 1943 Inland that we hand picked at the CMP South Store years ago.

Wish I'd bought two.

I'll toss up a pic from my phone later today.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you guys, they're wonderful! I think they're the quintessential self-defense rifle being light and handy. I keep two of my five in the house with a half-dozen 15 round magazines.

I have a four day weekend he'd, just got in from the shop loading a few more .30 Carbines and intend to do some shooting between now and Wednesday. I got some different powder in and want to chronograph some new loads. So, I'll try to get a family picture!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ggibbs:
I agree with you guys, they're wonderful! I think they're the quintessential self-defense rifle being light and handy. I keep two of my five in the house with a half-dozen 15 round magazines.

I have a four day weekend he'd, just got in from the shop loading a few more .30 Carbines and intend to do some shooting between now and Wednesday. I got some different powder in and want to chronograph some new loads. So, I'll try to get a family picture!
View Quote

Your killing me, I want to hit the range with the Howa and Plainfield but work slammed me with mandatory Saturdays for the foreseeable future and I won't get the time.

Maybe next month
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:56:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

2 Winchesters, an IBM and a Underwood.

1. Underwood
2. Winchester
3 Winchester.
4. IBM.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_0821__1__JPG-1781262.JPG

1. Underwood
2. Winchester
3 Winchester.
4. IBM.
View Quote

Nice. I wish I had the original stocks for my Inlands but they both came with post war birch stocks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:31:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel_J] [#7]

1. Underwood
2. Winchester
3 Winchester.
4. IBM.
View Quote
Interesting to see your #1 and #4 with the later adjustable rear sight, but without the bayonet lug barrel band. I don't see too many like that anymore. My Grandpa had one that was brought back from Europe in that condition, as well. Guess the sights were replaced in the field/by unit armorers without going through the full rebuild process? (His still has the pushbutton mag release (eta....pushbutton safety, not mag release), too. Only "upgrade" is the rear sight.)

Even though they were all rebuilds, I still kick myself for not buying several carbines when CMP had them available. Or even for not buying more at gunshows when they weren't $1000+ like they are today. Granted, I didn't grow up in the days of the $29.95 mail order carbine like some folks (even though, adjusted for inflation, that was still a decent chunk of change in those days).
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#8]

My 1944 Inland in it's new Boyd's stock I finished this week. It was a "Blue Sky" import marked one. I had Fulton Armory install a new Criterion chrome lined barrel, replace worn parts and repark it last year. The stock was a tad ratty and I figured a new stock would give it that new issue looked
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Grendel_J:
Interesting to see your #1 and #4 with the later adjustable rear sight, but without the bayonet lug barrel band. I don't see too many like that anymore. My Grandpa had one that was brought back from Europe in that condition, as well. Guess the sights were replaced in the field/by unit armorers without going through the full rebuild process? (His still has the pushbutton mag release, too. Only "upgrade" is the rear sight.)

Even though they were all rebuilds, I still kick myself for not buying several carbines when CMP had them available. Or even for not buying more at gunshows when they weren't $1000+ like they are today. Granted, I didn't grow up in the days of the $29.95 mail order carbine like some folks (even though, adjusted for inflation, that was still a decent chunk of change in those days).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendel_J:

1. Underwood
2. Winchester
3 Winchester.
4. IBM.
Interesting to see your #1 and #4 with the later adjustable rear sight, but without the bayonet lug barrel band. I don't see too many like that anymore. My Grandpa had one that was brought back from Europe in that condition, as well. Guess the sights were replaced in the field/by unit armorers without going through the full rebuild process? (His still has the pushbutton mag release, too. Only "upgrade" is the rear sight.)

The only one with a bayo lug is a late war Winchester made right around the time they went with the adjustable sight and the lug. I don't think it's ever even had a sling and oiler put on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]

An IBM, and it's a Blue Sky Arsenal reimport, bought back when you get these for under $200.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:28:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn] [#11]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/798DD6BE-944E-430A-9A21-FB6F8F355DE3-691040.jpg

An IBM, and it's a Blue Sky Arsenal reimport, bought back when you get these for under $200.

View Quote

Everyone makes a big deal about the import mark but as long as it wasn't so heavy it warped the barrel "Blues'' are decent little Carbines. I've had 2 over the years, the 1 I rebarreled in the photo here and 1 I sold in 2011 when I got into building AR's and figured I owned 2 at the time plus 1 I got from CMP years ago.

Turns out when I sent both the CMP and Blue  I kept to Fulton for tune ups the Blue had a better barrel on it than my CMP "Service" Carbine.

Right now if I saw another Blue Sky import marked Carbine I'd buy it over the Royal Tiger Ethiopian imports people have been paying $1200-1400 for. I could inspect a Blue real time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Great pictures, guys!

I dragged mine out this morning for a photo-op, which I'd never done with all of them before.

L-R:    Inland, base model from RTI
          Inland
          Standard Products, base model from RTI
          Iver Johnson
          Universal from the mid-60's.

My 100 yd. backstop is in the background directly behind the carbines and you can just make out the 100 yd. target right of the Iver. If you look closely to the right of the carbines you can see my 200 yd. steel gong.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought this IBM M1 carbine for my wife for her retirement after 41 years with that company.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Had two. Sold the IBM, kept the Rock-Ola.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#15]
Bought an Inland for my dad a few years back.  He had one as his only weapon during the invasion of Okinawa during WW2.  Navy Seabee. He's now 94 years old and still enjoys plinking with it.

I'll try to get a photo of him with the "replacement" carbine,
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is one I had handy...

Built it off an SA Inc rec. back when they were literally giving them away and used a "blue sky" barrel that someone pulled off the rifle "because it was import marked".  Nothing wrong with it at all...shoots real well...  Had one old coot look at it at the range and handed it back in disgust as he said "import!" I said no it's a Springfield I built...  "It's an import!  I know what they are..they are junk!"  And yes he looked just like the fudd meme pic....

All together..I might have 3-400 in it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:

Built it off an SA Inc rec. back when they were literally giving them away and used a "blue sky" barrel that someone pulled off the rifle "because it was import marked".  Nothing wrong with it at all...shoots real well...  Had one old coot look at it at the range and handed it back in disgust as he said "import!" I said no it's a Springfield I built...  "It's an import!  I know what they are..they are junk!"  And yes he looked just like the fudd meme pic....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51024/48930738_950530101810012_246443824144134-1783438.JPG
View Quote

Sweet. I wish I had kept the barrel off the Blue Sky I had rebuilt, it gauged the best of any the USGI barrels I had. SA used LMT for alot of the receivers they made years ago, same outfit Fulton uses now for theirs.

I'll give youse treefiddy for it since the Fudd says it junk

I'm tempted to try building one myself using a Fulton receiver. I've got a 1944 Inland barrel that gauges 1.5 after I had FA crown it (it was on my Howa), spare USGI bolt that was with that barrel.....stocks...tempting (I'm saving that barrel for the 1944 Inland if I ever want to put it back to full USGI)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:

Sweet. I wish I had kept the barrel off the Blue Sky I had rebuilt, it gauged the best of any the USGI barrels I had. SA used LMT for alot of the receivers they made years ago, same outfit Fulton uses now for theirs.

I'm tempted to try building one myself using a Fulton receiver. I've got a 1944 Inland barrel that gauges 1.5 after I had FA crown it (it was on my Howa), spare USGI bolt that was with that barrel.....stocks...tempting (I'm saving that barrel for the 1944 Inland if I ever want to put it back to full USGI)
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51024/48930738_950530101810012_246443824144134-1783438.JPG

My dad panic bought a carbine in 1994 at a gun show.  It was a Blue Sky that was stamped so hard that a 0.295" plug gauge wouldn't drop down the bore.  It was visible oval. it didn't shoot for shit until the barrel was replaced.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By p3590:
My dad panic bought a carbine in 1994 at a gun show.  It was a Blue Sky that was stamped so hard that a 0.295" plug gauge wouldn't drop down the bore.  It was visible oval. it didn't shoot for shit until the barrel was replaced.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p3590:

I've seen a few overstamped Blues in my time. Any that have survived this long more than likely didn't get mangled when the importer stamped them. If I saw another "Blue" Inland I'd be tempted, I could use the barrel I have here now on it
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Saginaw SG Division, May 1943. It’s a mixmaster of parts.

And not to brag...but I have the best M1 carbine stock of all M1 carbines

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 80thdiv313fa:
Saginaw SG Division, May 1943. It’s a mixmaster of parts.

https://i.imgur.com/G3eAKHb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

And not to brag...but I have the best M1 carbine stock of all M1 carbines

https://i.imgur.com/Cpncz8e_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

Nice "cartouche" That done by you or the GI who was issued it. I can't see that getting past CMP or a arsenal rebuild
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80thdiv313fa] [#24]

Nice "cartouche" That done by you or the GI who was issued it. I can't see that getting past CMP or a arsenal rebuild
View Quote

Original USGI artwork

ETA: as far as I know. It was on there when I got it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Original USGI artwork

View All Quotes

Original USGI artwork

Cool
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotta admit I've never seen a stock carving like that one! The carbine my Grandpa had has two names carved in it, one on either side....previous owner's wife and daughter? wife and girlfriend? two girls back home? We'll never know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had these for years.  Glad to see there is no shame in the BS imports.  This is my Winny.

I also have a pure Inland from 8-44 with the leather grip bayonet.  Someday I will get a decent shot of that one too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#29]
My brother gave me this CMP Inland 1943 vintage years ago.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I built 2 Carbines using SAI receivers in the late 90’s using all USGI parts kits. Both turned out nice except stocks were trash and I didn’t feel like refinishing them so I replaced both with new.
Both shoot great, I eventually sold my WW2 Inland Blue Sky Import.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Princeton:

I built 2 Carbines using SAI receivers in the late 90’s using all USGI parts kits. Both turned out nice except stocks were trash and I didn’t feel like refinishing them so I replaced both with new.
Both shoot great, I eventually sold my WW2 Inland Blue Sky Import.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1241/C085F4C6-99BB-489E-9817-9972C6D4D437_jpe-1846384.JPG
View Quote

Nice looking Carbines. SA used LMT for their receivers and their supposed to be the same quality as the Fulton Armory ones. For some reason every SA based Carbine on GunJoker always lists for ungodly amounts of money, more than actual USGI WWII issue ones.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#32]
My ‘44 Rock-ola on my ‘64 Rock-ola.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By VAhasnowaves:

https://i.ibb.co/VxNSxGg/AD9-BE603-8384-4339-BF40-4068-B2-DC889-B.jpg
View Quote

Now that is badass!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

Agreed!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Originally Posted By edwin907:
Originally Posted By VAhasnowaves:

https://i.ibb.co/VxNSxGg/AD9-BE603-8384-4339-BF40-4068-B2-DC889-B.jpg

Now that is badass!

Agreed!

The Carbine runs flawlessly with no effort. The Jukebox is a pain in my ass. Some part is always breaking! Then I gotta hunt eBay and hope I can fix it myself.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone has to bump this thread

"New" National Postal Meter "Bavarian". Barrel gauges under .05. Ran 100 rounds through it with a couple stovepipes, I'll change springs as I get new ones in or have Fulton Armory check it over.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ggibbs] [#37]
OK...so last weekend I had to travel 6 1/2 hours south in my state for a funeral. So just in case, I checked the state-wide gun classifieds for Carbine's and lo and behold there was one listed for about 1/2 the going rate, and less than an hour off my route.

So I met the guy and bought it, and it is a somewhat pathetic looking IBM. It's really been rusted at some point in it's life and the bore is moderately pitted. The neat thing is the only parts that aren't IBM are the bolt (Inland) and the reproduction rear sight. I haven't taken lots of photos of it yet, but I have shot it quite a bit and it's not a bad shooter at all as this 100 yd. photo shows.

I'm going to try to get more pictures as time allows.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#38]
OK...so last weekend I had to travel 6 1/2 hours south in my state for a funeral. So just in case, I checked the state-wide gun classifieds for Carbine's and lo and behold there was one listed for about 1/2 the going rate, and less than an hour off my route.

So I met the guy and bought it, and it is a somewhat pathetic looking IBM. It's really been rusted at some point in it's life and the bore is moderately pitted. The neat thing is the only parts that aren't IBM are the bolt (Inland) and the reproduction rear sight. I haven't taken lots of photos of it yet, but I have shot it quite a bit and it's not a bad shooter at all as this 100 yd. photo shows.

https://i.imgur.com/sGknY2vh.jpg

I'm going to try to get more pictures as time allows.
View Quote

Sounds like a bargain. Is it worth getting a better barrel for it? Sounds like it's a base for a restoration job
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, with a new addition to the family we need a new group photo

The NPM, 1944 Inland, Fulton Armory, 1943 Inland, "Howa" and the 1966 Plainfield

I stuck the NPM in a spare stock for now, I want to clean up it's Bavarian stock some
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Sounds like a bargain. Is it worth getting a better barrel for it? Sounds like it's a base for a restoration job
View Quote

Well....if it keeps shooting like it did tonight just before dark, I guess the existing barrel will be fine!!

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Well....if it keeps shooting like it did tonight just before dark, I guess the existing barrel will be fine!!

https://i.imgur.com/nlmXbzSl.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/nlmXbzSl.jpg

Ain't nothing wrong with that grouping

I ran a 100 round test through mine today at the local 25 yard indoor range, did ok also
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Ain't nothing wrong with that grouping

https://images46.fotki.com/v297/photos/9/4114449/16341166/photo-vi.jpg

I ran a 100 round test through mine today at the local 25 yard indoor range, did ok also
View Quote

Very nice shooting!
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn] [#43]

Very nice shooting!
View Quote

It's only 25 yards, I wanted to function check the Carbine. 2 stovepipes 1st 10 rounds, changed mags and ran the next 90 rounds no issues

That carbine evidently has a newer Erma Werke barrel on it, not a USGI/WWII issue one. That explains the .03 gauge reading I got. I was sort of wanting a all USGI Carbine but thought that was a better deal with what was at the show yesterday.

The trigger group has a slight "wiggle" in it but I understand USGI armorers tended to loosen the receiver tabs up with a wood block to have a easier fit of the trigger group. I've seen worse and have a email into Fulton Armory to see if they can tighten it up. If they can't I'll change the springs all way around and change the extractor myself. I need a bolt assembly tool anyway with the number of Carbines I own now anyway, do want to take them apart once a year for deep cleaning

If they can I'll waste the $80 bucks and have them do at least a Tech Inspection on "Hilda" (it is a ex Bavarian after all ), and give it a once over.

I was wanting 1 100% USGI "spec" Carbine as a safe queen, this should fill the bill. That means in my world 1 of my USGI Inlands with the new Criterion chrome lined barrels becomes a full time shooter (500-1000 rounds a year, if I can find ammo ever again) and the 2nd sees the range on Memorial Day for 100 rounds a year

I'll post my write up on Hilda from the CC Club later
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I have twin boys that claim my rifles when I pull them out of the safe or bring a new one home. Lucky for my son Colt he was with me when I picked up my latest carbine. He says it is his.

Attachment Attached File

Doll house is my daughter’s. She has a contract with GI Joe for security.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By rugerdog:
I have twin boys that claim my rifles when I pull them out of the safe or bring a new one home. Lucky for my son Colt he was with me when I picked up my latest carbine. He says it is his.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97915/17F23784-50DA-4D48-B80F-FB0862E4AB4E_jpe-1897456.JPG

Doll house is my daughter’s. She has a contract with GI Joe for security.
View Quote

Nice looking boy and I love the stock on the Carbine
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Original stock on this Inland had a bunch of Korean Jibba-jabbah painted on it, Attachment Attached File
so I tapco-fucked it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By llanero:
Original stock on this Inland had a bunch of Korean Jibba-jabbah painted on it, https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25010/4C668C38-8BBD-4D2F-B4B8-F246D43E31F1_jpe-1897730.JPGso I tapco-fucked it.
View Quote

Looks fun to me
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Original stock on this Inland had a bunch of Korean Jibba-jabbah painted on it, https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25010/4C668C38-8BBD-4D2F-B4B8-F246D43E31F1_jpe-1897730.JPGso I tapco-fucked it.
View Quote

Is that really TAPCO furniture?
Looks like Choate to me. Not bad.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RCRTR:

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View Quote

You caught me.  It’s just that “Choate-fuck” isn’t really in our lexicon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RCRTR:

AIRBORNE!!!!!

I kind of like the Choate folding stock I have for my Carbines, paid $40 bucks for it at gun show. If I saw another cheap enough I'd snag a 2nd for one of my other Carbines. In  SHTF situation it would come in handy for anyone I let use it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top