Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2021 11:38:12 AM EDT
Started going down the rabbit hole on m1 carbines and realized there's way more to these with all the manufacturers and parts so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what I have and what it may be worth in the world of m1 carbines.

The receiver is marked quality h.m.c (had wrote universal but that was a mistake) sn starts 163xxxx. The barrel is marked rock-ola and there is an M on the mag release.  Appreciate any insight.

Eta is quality h.m.c
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Universal was a commercial concern making M1 Carbines after original production ended.

Some were OK, the later production was/is not well regarded.

Pics would help.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats not a commercial Universal, that is a GI Quality Hardware Carbine.

Is the rear sight missing or just removed?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Just removed, the rear sight covered the mfg info.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Try here

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

As mentioned, Universal was a commercial manufacture from 1961-87. Pictures would help.

If your has a Rockola barrel it's been replaced by a former owner, those were WWII production and Universal used commercial production barrels on their Carbines
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just removed, the rear sight covered the mfg info.
View Quote

Be careful taking that sight in and out.  it is out now but those were generall staked heavily and can break the receiver itself forcing them out.

Nice M1.

It appears to be a GI rifle dropped in a commercial stock.   Better than a commercial gun in a GI stock!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Nice, you have a USGI . As mentioned, if you removed the rear sight be VERY careful when you try and put it back on. If it was adjustable (I'm assuming so since you had to remove it to see the manufacture) it's been through the post war rebuild program
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok,  not sure why I said universal, been reading all sorts of stuff and its overlapping. It's quality hmc on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nice, you have a USGI . As mentioned, if you removed the rear sight be VERY careful when you try and put it back on. If it was adjustable (I'm assuming so since you had to remove it to see the manufacture) it's been through the post war rebuild program
View Quote

It looks like a cheap rear sight. Just loosened with allen wrench and slid out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317873/20210109_120314_jpg-1771475.JPG
View Quote

Now you need to get a usgi sight off eBay. I would suggest the later style sight because it is more adjustable and you have the later bayonet lugged front band.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a cheap one all right.

I was going to post a link to Fulton Armory for their sights but their OOS from the looks of it. Try signing up here and do a want to buy post for a used USGI sight

Carbine Collectors Forum

I'm leery of buying Carbine parts off Evilbay, too many fakes IMO.

Numrich has this in stock

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/542350B

LGS used one on a "Howa" model M-1 Carbine I bought last year that had a bad rear sight, it's gtg IMO. I also believe Fulton uses them on the new production Carbines, I have one of those and it's similar to the one on the "Howa". I also had Fulton use one on a USGI Inland Carbine I had them rebuild last year with no problems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top