Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2020 3:24:39 PM EDT
Might have to let this thing go due to everything going on. Any information on parts and I'm curious about the finishing on the gas tube and the blue finish on the rest of the parts and stock as well. Ive heard stories about a few of the Blue Sky imports were refinished in Korea for ceremonial purposes which mine looks like the drill rifles we use for ceremonies today. Thanks for you time!
Receiver S/N indicates Dec '44 manufacture. Springfield Armory
Bolt - D28287-12SA
FCG - D28290 - WRA
Op Rod - 7790722 - RA w/ NM marked handle
Barrel - P marked S-A-5-49
https://imgur.com/a/h2erA6F
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typical mixmaster as far as parts. It's in nice shape. I would say you can sell it for what service grades are going for.
View Quote

Probably true, ...

... or he could ship his M1 to Tim @ Shuff's Parkerizing for the full treatment, which could include re-barrelling it with a new .30-06 or .308 Criterion tube, and maybe even new wood. $1K later he'd have a great shooter that will make the old farts at the range drool with envy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn’t look blued to me. Looks like parkerizing that is oiled. Stock may have a varnish or something and gas cylinder is bare. Pretty nice looking the way it is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Garand gas cylinders are stainless steel and were originally either left “in the white” dull grey production color or they were colored by an elaborate dichromate blackening process or iron plated (I think only Winchester did the latter).  Yours appears to have been polished at some point.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Garand gas cylinders are stainless steel and were originally either left “in the white” dull grey production color or they were colored by an elaborate dichromate blackening process or iron plated (I think only Winchester did the latter).  Yours appears to have been polished at some point.
View Quote

none were left in the white, all were blackened in some method,

re the OP's rifle,  

solid $800 rifle in this area, and it would sell relatively quick if the bore gauges well
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

none were left in the white, all were blackened in some method,

re the OP's rifle,  

solid $800 rifle in this area, and it would sell relatively quick if the bore gauges well
View Quote

How then? Most I’ve seen are a dull grey which is “in the white” for unpolished stainless. The dichromate process wasn’t universally used because it was both expensive and elaborate. The iron plating was only used by Winchester which would’ve then used a standard blackening method for oxiding ferrous steel and there wasn’t any type of reliable cold blackening process for stainless steel at the time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#8]
How deep is the import mark on the barrel?  Some looked hard enough to do damage to it.

That really kills any premium for it. Rack grade would be the most I would offer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How deep is the import mark on the barrel?  Some looked hard enough to do damage to it.
That really kills any premium for it. Rack grade would be the most I would offer.
View Quote

Not to mention the 'upgrade' costs needed to turn it into a decent 'shooter,' as opposed to a very-low value collector/Safe Queen. (I personally wouldn't waste the space in the safe for it).

I have an old Blue Sky import Garand that I did just that to years ago, starting with a new standard M1 barrel from Fulton Armory. About the only thing salvageable were the receiver, sights, and trigger group. The op rod needed a new piston.  Everything else had to be replaced, starting with the gas cylinder.

If I were doing it again today, I'd buy  a G.I. profile tube from Criterion and pay Tim @ Schuff's to parkerize and install it, including finish-reaming the chamber if needed.

Then there's the issue of op rod and gas cylinder condition. I'd for sure install a new op rod spring from Orion 7.

The cost increases if other parts are out of spec and need replacing to get the rifle running. CMP's supply of in-spec NOS parts is dwindling, if you can still even get them.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Might have to let this thing go due to everything going on. Any information on parts and I'm curious about the finishing on the gas tube and the blue finish on the rest of the parts and stock as well. Ive heard stories about a few of the Blue Sky imports were refinished in Korea for ceremonial purposes which mine looks like the drill rifles we use for ceremonies today. Thanks for you time!
Receiver S/N indicates Dec '44 manufacture. Springfield Armory
Bolt - D28287-12SA
FCG - D28290 - WRA
Op Rod - 7790722 - RA w/ NM marked handle
Barrel - P marked S-A-5-49
https://imgur.com/a/h2erA6F
View Quote

The pic is not working for me.  If you want to sell I would definitely not do anything to this rifle as others are saying.  Sell the rifle as a Blue Sky that has not been modified.  There are plenty of people, myself included that would easily pay market value for a Blue Sky but would not spend extra money for one that has been "upgraded".  Let the buyer handle that as you would not see an increase in your return.  Blue Sky rifles are effectively part of M1 history now and some may want one as imported.  If it's your only M1, I would just try to hang on to it if you can.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Your rifle looks nice.  You can get stainless steel blackener for the gas cylinder.  I used some on my M14 gas plug, and it worked really well. Don't consider changing the barrel until you have shot it.  IF you want to change it and can find someone to do it for you, Numrich has new GI contour Criterion barrels in .308 Win for $186.  Free shipping since it's over $80.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
For a Blue Sky import, the metal on your rifle looks very decent.  I've seen several from that importer that came in from SK during the mid-80s and looked like they were blasted with a very course media that excessively etched the metal prior to being reparkerized at whatever South Korean depot or shop that did that kind of work.  That does not appear to be the case with yours, since the machine marks on the heel and sides of the receiver look intact and clearly visible (unpolished).

The bore appears to be corroded, so that's a definite negative as far as selling.

Totally up to you but you originally purchased your M1 to scratch whatever itch you had at the time and if you sell it, you'll probably have regrets since they only go up in value with time as they become less available.  Like others have said, you may just want to rebarrel if it doesn't shoot to your liking (M1s can be a lot more accurate with good ammo than many are willing to acknowledge) and bring it up to depot-level rebuild standard when your financial situation gets better (unless you just want to sell due to an advantageous market).  Ceremonial rifle or not, if the rifle was blued while in SK service, I'd have Tim Shufflin zinc parkerize it (light grey color-common with rebuilds) but that's just me.  

If the gas cylinder still gauges good, you could just have it bead blasted like the Danes did IOT reduce any reflection / glare from unfinished stainless steel.  The dull, dark grey color of a bead blasted M1 gas cylinder isn't unattractive to my eye at all.  If your gas cylinder needs to be replaced for whatever reason (fits loose and you don't want to peen the splines on the barrel, etc.), you can still find used USGI replacements that'll pass a gauge test.

I'm not an expert, but the bolt may be correct for the manufacture date of the receiver.  If not, I believe it's in the ballpark.  If it bothers you, the trigger group could easily be replaced with one made by SA during WWII.  Of course if you do that, you'll have a spare Winchester M1 trigger group laying around that may grow into a complete Winchester M1 since spare parts have a tendency to do that.  The rebuilt "mixmasters" never have bothered me personally, but everyone's different.    

Your late WWII-era M1 rifle may have some history to it:  Rebuilt at least once before or after ending up in Korea.  Who knows where it has been or who carried it?  You may have more interest in your M1 if you overhaul it mechanically (as needed) and improve the cosmetics to look more like a standard issue, no-frills service rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I got one of the Blue Sky M1's when they were offered in the early '90s I believe it was. Paid $270 for it. Shot it for about a year. The accuracy was terrible. I bought a Douglas barrel from Champions Choice in LaVergne, Tn as I lived close to there.
Rebarreled and parkerized it at work. Shot fantastic after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top