Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2020 5:27:36 PM EDT
Why would I choose one over the other?
Hard to pass up on the Standard issue rifle.
The Scout is nice with the shorter barrel. A red dot could easily be mounted.

What is your decision making process for choosing one over the other.

Finally, where would one actually get one? These are hard to find.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the scout because with a GLFS on it and something like a Vortex it is king.

GLFS
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get both...I did.

Or actually turned my old mid 80s SAI receiver into one with piles of parts I had laying around.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the full length rifle, if only for nostalgia and the way it looks.  

PSA in Greenville, SC had some in stock last weekend, including the SOCOM, Scout, and full length variants.  You could try giving them a call.

Edit:  "Last weekend" meaning this past Sunday....so two days ago.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both, and even tried the Socom 16 for some time.  My favorite is the Scout Squad.  Changed out the SA for a Vortex and it's a lot of fun.  I didn't like the different sights on the Socom 16, but the Scout is the same as a standard M1A, just handier and shorter.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a scout and a socom. I'd like to add a full size eventually too. I have to say though, from my experience between the 2 I have and some traditional ones I've shot, if I could only have one of those 3, it'd be the scout. Really a nice do-all setup. I do love how handy the socom is though, makes a nice brush/truck gun. Out past 200 the sights are lacking though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Get both.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had both. I like to shoot long range with them (600-1000yrds) and the scout held its own up to the 500yrd line, but beyond that it started shotgunning. So if you plan on a under 500yrd gun, the scout will work fine. This is my long range M1A (double lugged NM).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck.  Even guns that nobody wanted are OOS or 2-3x the price on GB.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Monitoring GB and a NIB sold for $1,875 and a used one for $1,400 which seems to be pretty close to older prices.

Have not seen the Scout yet which is what I am leaning more toward.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]
They look really good in milsurp stocks by the way.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My choice was easy, SA did not make em when I bought mine.

I use min for CMP type matches, sunk a lot of coin into that rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20200401_112934460_jpg-1708174.JPG
View Quote

How do you like the Vortex Scout optic?

Nice Tiger Birch!
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have must have been good this year.
Santa is bringing me a Scout.

Where to get most reliable mags??
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have must have been good this year.
Santa is bringing me a Scout.

Where to get most reliable mags??
View Quote
Get the real deal, https://checkmatemagazines.com/product/m14-m1a-magazine/

And if shit goes really bad you can always beat the bad guys to death with one of the mags!  
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How do you like the Vortex Scout optic?

Nice Tiger Birch!
View Quote

Thanks! To me that stock just put it over the top.

The vortex scout scope is OK. It's not stellar, it's not junk, it's just OK. The eye relief is spot on, but once you get above 5x the eye box gets pretty tight. I usually just leave it at 4x and it's happy there. I've got qd rings on it and have popped it off and on a few times when I wanted to shoot irons, and so far it's been pretty good at holding zero so that's nice. I'm not sure I wouldn't look at other options for scout scopes having experience with that, but it performs decently for what it is. Full disclaimer: I've only had it out to about 250, so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And if shit goes really bad you can always beat the bad guys to death with one of the mags!  
View Quote

Thanks. Hoping Santa puts a couple in my stocking with the Scout under the tree.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks. Hoping Santa puts a couple in my stocking with the Scout under the tree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are fun rifles and certainly have the historical element to them.  Like is being discussed in another thread they don't have the utility/ergonomics/accuracy, etc like the AR-10 platform does out of the box, but they are one of the ultimate expressions of the traditional wood/steel military rifles (great evolution of the WW2 Garand for sure).  I've debated selling mine as it sits mostly now that I built my first AR-10, but with iron sights, its a heavy, but rock solid rifle and now I'm keeping it (and everything else!).
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They are fun rifles and certainly have the historical element to them.  Like is being discussed in another thread they don't have the utility/ergonomics/accuracy, etc like the AR-10 platform does out of the box, but they are one of the ultimate expressions of the traditional wood/steel military rifles (great evolution of the WW2 Garand for sure).  I've debated selling mine as it sits mostly now that I built my first AR-10, but with iron sights, its a heavy, but rock solid rifle and now I'm keeping it (and everything else!).
View Quote

The reasoning for purchasing is the determining factor.
For me, the M1A scout fit the bill.
Even if the price was the same for either, my reasoning would still have me selecting the Scout.
There is a reason there is an unlimited selection of firearms out there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
IMHO. The Scout rifle is the best of the bunch.   Barrel length is perfect.  I like the scout long eye relief optic mount.

The SOCOM is too short for my tastes.  There was really no reason, except for the looks and marketing, to make the SOCOM

Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Monitoring GB and a NIB sold for $1,875 and a used one for $1,400 which seems to be pretty close to older prices.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my like-new Scout for 17-something. The gun-store I bought it from said a guy bought it and then resold it back soon after. It still had the trigger tag and then when I tried to register it with Springfield's warranty I was pleasantly surprised that i was ablle. I bought some mags and a sling with the new gun registration coupon.
Still haven't had a chance to shoot it, though.
Want to bad too. I've got a couple of surplus handguards I want to use after taking off the mount and a GI flashider. Plus, I'm thinking of getting a GI wood stock. The Springfield one is chunky.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20200401_112934460_jpg-1708174.JPG
View Quote

Those stocks look nice!
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IMHO. The Scout rifle is the best of the bunch.   Barrel length is perfect.  I like the scout long eye relief optic mount.

The SOCOM is too short for my tastes.  There was really no reason, except for the looks and marketing, to make the SOCOM

View Quote

I am in complete agreement. The Scout is the perfect size rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That 1875 one was probably my win.
I got lucky on that one. Turns out it was a used, but never shot piece.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
My home build..sorry for the bad lighting...
Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top