Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2020 11:31:44 PM EDT
So, what would such a unicorn be worth in the wild?

Nothing rare, just an Inland, but assuming it went overseas during WWII and then got back into the states without coming through an importer.  Semi-auto only.

Just another M1 Carbine or worth a bit more?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, what would such a unicorn be worth in the wild?

Nothing rare, just an Inland, but assuming it went overseas during WWII and then got back into the states without coming through an importer.  Semi-auto only.

Just another M1 Carbine or worth a bit more?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ll give you a 50 dollar gift card for your illegal gun...
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be a DCM carbine.I don't know what current value might be......
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Not enough info. There are quite a few non import marked M-1 Carbines "in the wild" in the US, either bringbacks, or sold surplus through the DCM then later by CMP Program.

Even the ones brought back to the US through the CMP program will not have "import" marks unless the country we loaned them to put their own markings on them like the "Bavarian Carbines" have on them.

Decent condition non import marked USGI Carbines can run anywhere  from $1000-1500 in the current market depend on condition.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
So guns that were sold through CMP that didn't require a re-build or armory work wouldn't have anything other than original stamps?  With the ones that are pretty beat up coming in now I just didn't think about ones that would have been sold a long time ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
And even if you had one that was imported commercially, there's nothing preventing you from replacing the barrel with one that does not have an import mark.
More important is the overall condition and if all the parts are in Inland. Inland was the biggest manufacturer so they're not real rare but if it's all matching it's worth more.
My wife just retired from IBM and I got her and IVM oh, I was just happy that the receiver in the barrel matched and both said IBM on them. Most that went through Civilian Marksmanship Program and any rebuilding by the military have many different manufacturers parts
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So guns that were sold through CMP that didn't require a re-build or armory work wouldn't have anything other than original stamps?  With the ones that are pretty beat up coming in now I just didn't think about ones that would have been sold a long time ago.
View Quote

Unless they were imported back into the US by a private company, A M1 Carbine isn't going to have any additional non USGI markings on it. [other then the aforementioned one like Bavarian PDs and such] Tons of them were sold back in the day in the US, then they dried up, then they [CMP] sold some a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of "Blue Sky" 1980's-90's imported carbines got rebarreled .......
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
The chances of a DCM-sold non-foreign use M1 carbine never having gone through the postwar upgrade (sights & bayonet lug) approach absolute 0.

That was the military's standard.  DCM sold arsenaled / stored firearms.  

CPM M1 carbines have been military assistance returns.  There's a few oddities in those returns but a miraculously untouched ever carbine would have been auctioned & have CPM paper.  

It's either a 'converted to private ownership' carbine or someone "corrected" it or a CPM unicorn.

Without verified provence it's conjecture.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And even if you had one that was imported commercially, there's nothing preventing you from replacing the barrel with one that does not have an import mark.
More important is the overall condition and if all the parts are in Inland. Inland was the biggest manufacturer so they're not real rare but if it's all matching it's worth more.
My wife just retired from IBM and I got her and IVM oh, I was just happy that the receiver in the barrel matched and both said IBM on them. Most that went through Civilian Marksmanship Program and any rebuilding by the military have many different manufacturers parts
View Quote
All M1 carbines do.
Details

"None of the ten primary contractors manufactured all of the parts that went on their carbines. The majority of parts were manufactured by hundreds of companies that served as subcontractors to each prime contractor."

Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lots of "Blue Sky" 1980's-90's imported carbines got rebarreled .......
View Quote

If it was rebarreled with a USGI barrel then it's impossible to tell if it was a "Blue" then. Remember, even during the 1980's-90's USGI barrel's were out there if someone wanted one, postwar Springfield barrels being the most desirable IIRR.

The 2 biggest reasons "Blues" were rebarreled were overstamped barrels or worn out ones during the 90's, the Koreans got rid of their worn out ones 1st. I've owned 2 "Blues". The 1st was pretty banged up but worked. That I traded it around 12 years ago.

The 2nd I bought soon after that was in much better shape, barrel gauged a "1.5" according to Fulton Armory when I had them work it over last year. I should have kept that barrel when I had them replace it and recrown it last year but wasn't thinking at the time. I hated the import mark and wanted a new barrel since it was going to be my main "shooter" Carbine at the time.

"Blue" as I still call it is 2nd from the left in this photo from a few months ago. The funny thing about Blue was it ended up having the best barrel of 3 Carbines I had Fulton work over. The "Service" grade Inland I bought from CMP in 2007 gauged a "3+" according to FA (CMP said it was a "2" when I bought it and I only fired a few 100 rounds through it over the years before the rebuild. It has a new barrel on it now)
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Blue Rockola... normally I wouldn’t by a Blue Sky import, but I really wanted a Rockola and the price was right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it was rebarreled with a USGI barrel then it's impossible to tell if it was a "Blue" then.
View Quote

I've probably rebarreled 7 or 8 of them.....two actually due to distortion of the bore from the marking.......Still have 2 Winchesters and an IBM.....They ran about 250-275 a pop when I was buying them......a proper barrel on Ebay was another 100 bucks......

I wish I had kept them all.....they would now be suddenly 1600.00 "non import marked" guns......
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#16]
What is a 1945 manufactured Inland all matching carbine worth on today’s market?
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is a 1945 manufactured Inland all matching carbine worth on today’s market?
View Quote

Depends on how the barrel gauges. 2 and under, $1300ish. 2.5 and up, maybe a grand  imo.

Alot of it will depend on where you live
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've probably rebarreled 7 or 8 of them.....two actually due to distortion of the bore from the marking.......Still have 2 Winchesters and an IBM.....They ran about 250-275 a pop when I was buying them......a proper barrel on Ebay was another 100 bucks......

I wish I had kept them all.....they would now be suddenly 1600.00 "non import marked" guns......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was rebarreled with a USGI barrel then it's impossible to tell if it was a "Blue" then.

You ain't kidding there. I have a 44 Inland barrel off of one of my Carbines pictured that I keep in case I ever want to put it on my 44 Inland receiver that was a Blue Sky import marked Carbines. I doubt I will, it's my main USGI shooting Carbine which is why I had a new barrel installed last year
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The chances of a DCM-sold non-foreign use M1 carbine never having gone through the postwar upgrade (sights & bayonet lug) approach absolute 0.

That was the military's standard.  DCM sold arsenaled / stored firearms.  

CPM M1 carbines have been military assistance returns.  There's a few oddities in those returns but a miraculously untouched ever carbine would have been auctioned & have CPM paper.  

It's either a 'converted to private ownership' carbine or someone "corrected" it or a CPM unicorn.

Without verified provence it's conjecture.
View Quote
Quite a few NRA carbines came out with the early features.

Also many CMP white bag carbines came out with only rear sight upgrades....some weren't upgrades but originally were later guns with adjustable sights.

Then you have '45 era guns that were built with both sights and bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here is my 5.7M Winchester.

Don't think it has ever even had a sling or oiler on it.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]

I finished a new Boyd's stock last weekend and moved stocks around on my Carbines  

Left to right, the Fulton, 2 USGI Inlands (43 and 44), the "Howachester" as it's become known and my 1966 Plainfield in a USGI style stock with the Plainfield metal handguard. I found the barrel band on the Plainfield sits better with the metal guard over the wood one
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also many CMP white bag carbines came out with only rear sight upgrades....some weren't upgrades but originally were later guns with adjustable sights.

View Quote
"CMP white bag"?  No you mean DCM? (CMP =/= DCM).

All the CMP M1 carbines have been foreign returns.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

False...quite a few thousand US mil carbines were released in 2003 IIRC...the majority were post war rebuilds that had been used inspected and packed in clear/yellowish sticky VCI and were in various conditions to well used to very nice.

Then there were the "white bag" VCI carbines.  BRAND NEW from rebuild in late 40s or so.  May or may not have had bayo lugs added (usually not).  There were a lot less of these.  Carbine Club guys got first pic on them.  I only got a few of them...all as new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top