[#2]
Junk Lithgow receiver?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Junk Lithgow receiver?
View Quote

Yeah, cast Lithgow. Lucky just the heel went, bolt lugs held up, though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy crap! Are these receivers just crappy or is this something I need to look out for in my Springfield Scout Squad?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Holy crap! Are these receivers just crappy or is this something I need to look out for in my Springfield Scout Squad?
View Quote

This is a Garand receiver that was made by Lithgow and they have problems.  It is not a Springfield M1A.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is a Garand receiver that was made by Lithgow and they have problems.  It is not a Springfield M1A.
View Quote

I was just worried about the whole "cast receiver thing". I love my M1A Scout
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. ... There's a reason M1 Garands were built on forged receivers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to clarify.. What supposedly happened here?  I see that the bolt came back forcefully and broke the heel of the receiver off, but why the overpressure?  Why did a reenactor at an event have a projectile in the barrel?  Did a blank firing adaptor get plugged or what?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a M1-A break the exact same way minus the OOB kaboom. It was at a NRA Highpower tournament the weekend before the 1994 AWB was set to begin. I think he sent the rifle overnight to Springfield Armory for replacement.

The heel of M1 Garand and M14 based receivers absorb an impact every time they are fired. Normally they rarely break. I have one M1-A that hammers the tang on the firing pin. I don't know why, it just does.

Hit on something long enough and things can break.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Every time that I have seen the M1/M14 receiver blow out like that, blanks and extremely dirty rifles were involved. (each and everyone was VFW rifles)
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep. ... There's a reason M1 Garands were built on forged receivers.
View Quote

Someday soon, I'm going to order a forged receiver and build out a nice standard length M1A.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
cast or forged is irrelevant..

the ONLY reason this happened was an improperly set up BFA and it was over gassing the weapon and/or also weak oprod springs..

period..
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Yikes thats pretty scary
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a grenade launcher for my garand. The only reason I have not shot it is I'm afraid of this. Lol. Yes it has a new oprod spring. I'm just a chicken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the ONLY reason this happened was an improperly set up BFA and it was over gassing the weapon and/or also weak oprod springs..

period..

I have a grenade launcher for my garand. The only reason I have not shot it is I'm afraid of this. Lol. Yes it has a new oprod spring. I'm just a chicken.
With the "poppet" gas cylinder lock screw installed...go shoot it...
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

period..
View Quote

These were particularly shitty castings and are known for this and other issues. Lithgow in Australia made these for Springfield’s  M1 “reissue”. They’re in the same realm as National Ord 03A3 receivers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

These were particularly shitty castings and are known for this and other issues. Lithgow in Australia made these for Springfield's  M1 "reissue". They're in the same realm as National Ord 03A3 receivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

period..

These were particularly shitty castings and are known for this and other issues. Lithgow in Australia made these for Springfield's  M1 "reissue". They're in the same realm as National Ord 03A3 receivers.
But the only reason this happened was because of the improperly adjusted BFA

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks more like weak grain structure and a casting inclusion in the right hand side of the heel wall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looks more like weak grain structure and a casting inclusion in the right hand side of the heel wall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the oprod velocity wasn't excessive due to an improperly adjusted BFA we wouldn't be seeing this pic....just saying...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top