Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2020 4:45:25 PM EDT
Gun Broker auction ended with no bids so I made the seller an offer of $1500 and he accepted.  When I spoke to him and was filled in on the back story of how his father came into possession of it. He was on a supply ship in the pacific when Japan surrendered and they were ordered to dump much of the material overboard.  Well he made sure they didn't all go to waste.  He had only seen his father shoot it a couple of times when he was a child and that was it.  I am hoping to meet the guy at some point and get names and as much info as I can to keep some kind of history with the rifle.

This is a list of the parts as I, not an expert, have identified them from online resources.  I am open to any information offered and can get pictures of any of the parts.

Barrel Band
Type 1: No markings  Swivel: No markings

Rear Sight
Type 1: Left base “S”  Right base: No Markings  Leaf:?

Front Sight
Type 1: Top “.U.”  Underwood

Bolt
Type 2 Flat: Right Lug “EM-Q”  Quality Hardware

Extractor
Type 3: IQ Quality Hardware

Firing Pin
Type 1: HS Quality Hardware or Standard Products

Slide
Type 3: Outside “U”  Inside “DA-Q”  Quality Hardware

Trigger Housing
Type4: “.U.”  Underwood

Trigger
Type 2: ROCK-OLA Rock-Ola

Trigger Spring
Type 2

Sear
Type 1: “W”  Winchester-No grind mark

Hammer
Type 3: “SG”  National Postal Meter

Safety-Push button
Type3: Q-NL Quality Hardware

Mag Catch
Type 3: “.U.”  Underwood

Stock
Type 2: “M-U”  Marlin for Underwood

Handguard
2 Rivet: “JL-B”  Jamestown Lounge Co.

Looking for some feedback/value on an unmolested M1 carbine bring back. Only info I have is that the current owners father brought it home from the Pacific theatre at the end of the war. Barrel is stamped Underwood 12/43.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice looking carbine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Done
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Dollar value? $$$$ depending on how the barrel gauges. Hopefully the family keeps it or if you can get it keep it minty
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The bore is immaculate. I didn't have a bore gauge but it stopped nicely on a 308 round. It will be going up for auction soon and as much as I would love to have it I have a feeling it will be above my current cash flow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks pretty much original. Which means that it's going to go for a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#7]
A much better place to get info on your carbine would be either the Carbine Collectors Club or the CMP Forums.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you're buying the rifle and not a story.  

I know next to nothing about carbines, but I'd have someone look real hard at that ordnance wheel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you're buying the rifle and not a story.  

I know next to nothing about carbines, but I'd have someone look real hard at that ordnance wheel.
View Quote

Is there something that makes you think it is faked?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The old cartouche stamps could be purchased many moons ago. Maybe still can be idk. But they aren’t fake in that sense.

“When” it was stamped however..

No way of really knowing unless you study this stuff in depth.
It’s been a number of years since I was into researching these things but you can verify a lot.

For example your receiver and barrel are Underwood. You can check the serial number and find out if that serial range actually used their in-house barrels or a barrel from another subcontractor of the war.

A WW2 American rifle isn’t always going to be all matching MFG parts. It can be 100% original off the assembly line with mismatched mfg marks.

Especially with the Carbines.

That stock is in really good condition for going through a war. And it doesn’t look like is has the M2 selector cutout like many replacement stocks will have.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey OP - can you let us know when and where it goes up for auction?

Thanks,

Red
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

the cannons look off to me.  But like I said, I know next to nothing about carbine stocks and it might be perfectly legit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#13]
On the CMP forum I found a post of another Underwood that was very close to this one and it shared a unique feature. The U is missing from the barrel roll mark and the month of manufacture is nearly invisible. I can also say that the stock has not been separated from the action in a very long time, if ever.

I know you can't buy the story on something like this but the owner really has know idea what he has or the value.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh man is that the one from Armslist last week? I emailed the guy and but he wouldn’t send me more pics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh man is that the one from Armslist last week? I emailed the guy and but he wouldn’t send me more pics.
View Quote

Unless it's a dealer with a store front, RUN, don't walk, from ANYTHING on Armlist, ESPECIALLY if they're refusing more pictures. That place is fraught with scams.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has not been on Armslist.

It will be on Gun Broker soon.

Not my rifle and I am not the dealer selling it.  It is a dealer I trust and he usually texts me when something interesting walks through his door.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's a link to the auction.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880599933

I stripped it down and helped with the pictures. If you have any questions about it please contact the dealer, he is very responsive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I stripped it down and helped with the pictures. If you have any questions about it please contact the dealer, he is very responsive.
View Quote

I can't understand what dealers such as the one that listed the carbine in question have against shipping to a C&R. Lord only knows how much money they lose in bids. That and the absurd $60 shipping chills me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#19]
With the guys 800 something feedback...

kinda surprised he needed your help in the listing.

Oh well - guess I will cont to work at paying off the house...

Red
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Red
View Quote

Looks like 99% of the current/sold auctions from that dealer come straight from distributors.....probably just takes the stock photos and copy/pastes the distributors description
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Red
View Quote

Small one man shop that does mostly new firearms and only carries a limited selection at whorehouse prices. When it comes to older pieces and mil surps he really doesn't have a clue.  I am by no means an expert in this area but I am good at the details and sifting through information to figure these things out. I find it fun and educational to handle and identify rare or odd pieces.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I can't understand what dealers such as the one that listed the carbine in question have against shipping to a C&R. Lord only knows how much money they lose in bids. That and the absurd $60 shipping chills me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I thought.  It does look like a really nice carbine though.  Interesting to see what it sells for.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump for the update in op.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bump for the update in op.
View Quote

Congrats
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
The stock shows signs of a type II or III front band having been installed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The stock shows signs of a type II or III front band having been installed.
View Quote

I agree, you can see the wear mark in this photo

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry but this is a mixmaster gun someone tried to “correct”.

It is not a veteran bring back!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sorry but this is a mixmaster gun someone tried to “correct”.

It is not a veteran bring back!
View Quote

Is it me or does this mark on the barrel look like it's from a Type 3 barrel band with a bayonet lug

Don't get us wrong OP, if you paid $1500 that's about the normal price anymore for a USGI Carbine in decent shape but there's a good chance the owner bought it post war. I'm thinking during the 60's DCM program.

Someone added the early band and flip sight IMO
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#29]
After tearing it down I really don't think it's ever been apart. Beyond a basic field strip.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
agreed...just a T1 band shadow..not a T2/3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top