Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2020 2:52:12 PM EDT
This would make my second M1 Garand.  

Trying to decide between; CMP Special Rack Grade(Refinished receiver and a New Criterion barrel).
Or a standard CMP Service Grade.  

Anyone order the special rack grade and have pics?  

Previous Garand was a service grade.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
There were a few guy posting on the CMP forum with pics.  Some were pitted enough to scare me off, but you never know, could get a gem.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a guilt-free user/high-volume shooter, they are a good deal. Mine did not have any above-the-wood pitting and very little below the wood, but the receiver must have had a lot of light rust going in, as it is clearly been blasted heavily. The markings are visible/readable, but nothing like my service grade WRA.

The only other one I have seen in person had substantial visible pitting.

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Appreciate the feedback. Decided to go with a service grade. Dropped the packet off at the post office today. Guess I'll know how I did in 4-7 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The Specials that I saw on the rack at Talladega last week were nasty.

The receivers looked like coral, with a new park job.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Specials that I saw on the rack at Talladega last week were nasty.

The receivers looked like coral, with a new park job.

View Quote

While I think you have a high chance of getting a pitted receiver ordering a special sight unseen, I wonder if the store “on the rack” inventory is often worse than the median condition of the mail order rifle inventory. Those ‘coral receivers’ were probably the population left behind after the nicer guns were sold.

I used to wonder if this was the case after going to Perry- the nicer guns in each grade that trickled out went fast, but the dogs always stayed on the rack.

WRA rack special (mail order) above has no visible pitting above the wood, although it has clearly been blasted before re-park.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Rack Special , Just got it last week,

Attachment Attached File

2 Shot groups at 50 yards.
Attachment Attached File

My M1 Garand CMP Rack Special .
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Hoping to make a trip to the south store this month. Someone tell me why I should buy a service grade instead of a cmp special rack grade.

Just call me the thread killer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Still playing the waiting game.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hoping to make a trip to the south store this month. Someone tell me why I should buy a service grade instead of a cmp special rack grade.

Just call me the thread killer.
View Quote

I drove down to Anniston about 2 weeks ago.  The store is MUCH smaller than I was expecting.  They had a few nice rifles out, and some that were the "Specials" that had LOTS of pitting.  I picked up a Harrington and Richardson M1 and a M1917 Enfield.  I apparently just missed getting a 1903.....they had run out of a small influx that they had.

Were it me, I'd pick up the service grade rifle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Service Grade, no question. The only advantage the Rack Grade has is a new barrel. After multiple thousands of rounds, you might want to replace the Service Grade's barrel, something you can do relatively little difficulty or expense.

You can't un-pit a receiver.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
For a second M1 Garand, I'd look hard at finding one chambered for .308/7.62.  Mine seem less blasty than their .30-06 siblings  - and with their Criterion barrels, they've all proven to be very accurate out to 300-yds, the furtherest I shot them.

Not to mention if you don't reload, finding surplus 7.62 or commercial .308 FMJ will be easier and cheaper than chasing down so-called 'Garand-safe' .30-06 ball ammo   - at least in normal times.  Admittedly 2020 has been a shit-show for the ammo market, severely skewing prices and the availability of popular cartridges.  Even still, going forward there's no downside to having a .308 M1.

One of mine rides in my truck, affixed with an Olongapo M1 stock pack holding two loaded clips. Under the back seat are 4 bandoliers of clipped ball ammo. It's sort of a 'beater' and impromptu range plinker, or for go-to emergency use.

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If traveling far, drive to Anniston on a Wednesday. Visit the Talladega marksmanship park and look through the racks there. Then be at the CMP store in Anniston at around 0700 Thursday morning to beat most of the rush. Extra points if you already have your purchase paperwork printed and filled out. Head in and pick up a service grade or three. Decide beforehand what in particular you are looking for. Do you want a particular manufacturer, WWII serial, collectability due to more correct parts, GI stock, or just a good barrel? Then have at it. It is like Christmas morning as a kid for me every time. Don't forget a sling and bayonet. I have never mail ordered. I always travel to Anniston and hand pick. They have had some really nice rifles recently. I picked up an all matching (except trigger group) March 45 Springfield in October. I picked up two Vietnam era refurbs in November. One was a LEAD rebuild that appeared unfired since rebuild. The other was a 280k SA with a 1944 barrel that went through refurb in the early 60s. Both rifles had good barrel numbers. Then head back to Talladega for a free range trip on the way home. Good times.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Just went to the North Store today.  They had a nice supply of rifles. I was lucky to be able to drive there and pick the rifle out I wanted

I picked up a nice 1953 Springfield Service Grade.  The barrel , op rod and bolt are correct. The bore gauges  1 Muzzle and a 1 Throat.  Like new.

The trigger group is not the original but a mix of SA and WRA parts. I need to check but I think it is all original except for the trigger group

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Got an email Sunday afternoon telling me that my card was charged and such.

No updates since the card charge. May just wrap it and put it under the tree depending on when it comes in.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Most recent South store is much, much smaller than the prior two (of which I am familiar).  As other posters stated, go with the Service Grade.  The only exception to this is a personally selected Rack Grade, inspected on the spot by an armorer.  I don't think they have the volunteer program anymore, however.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Found a markingAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#20]
It's what I'd guess. Although in person it looks like 1-6 st lol.
Springfield Armory, May 1945 receiver with a January 45 barrel.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
@DG_NorthTX great looking M1.  Point of clarity you mailed your package of on 9/30 and didn’t have any contact from CMP until 12/6?  No confirmation of receipt of your order?  I ask because I just mailed off my package for my first M1 on 12/18 and was wondering at what point I should get concerned on if my order even made it there.  USPS is not exactly performing at their best at the moment.  I have an estore account but nothing yet to validate my order was received.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah luckily I mailed it priority so I had tracking to confirm they got it.
I understand they have been absolutely slammed.
Got a shipping notice 12/22 received my order 12/24.
FedEx delayed my package for a day for some reason.

My first experience was uncommon and only took a week, but that was 2017.
I told my Dad that we may need to take a road trip to Alabama next time lol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#24]
@DG_NorthTX These arrived yesterday.  Two SA  8/43 and 6/45.  Both stocks have Rock Island Arsenal EB stamps from being rebuilt between ‘47 - ‘58.  A few nicks and dings and lots of grime on the wood but there’s good looking grain under there.  I’ll get them cleaned up a little later.  No rust or pitting on either.  Pure luck of the draw I didn’t ask for anything specific when ordering.  Very pleased with what CMP sent me.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Very nice, you even got a lock bar sight on the one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, those are really nice! Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@DG_NorthTX These arrived yesterday.  Two SA  8/43 and 6/45.  Both stocks have Rock Island Arsenal EB stamps from being rebuilt between ‘47 - ‘58.  A few nicks and dings and lots of grime on the wood but there’s good looking grain under there.  I’ll get them cleaned up a little later.  No rust or pitting on either.  Pure luck of the draw I didn’t ask for anything specific when ordering.  Very pleased with what CMP sent me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191136/C3716488-57A8-4245-87B4-D963238D89FA_jpe-1876568.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191136/9F4980AD-4549-493F-A0C6-054019DB241A_jpe-1876570.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful Rifles!  I threw my name into the proverbial ''CMP Hat" again lol.  Wanted to scratch the Winchester itch.  
Kinda hoping that they email me and ask if I want to upgrade to a service grade, but will be happy with whatever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Beautiful Rifles!  I threw my name into the proverbial ''CMP Hat" again lol.  Wanted to scratch the Winchester itch.  
Kinda hoping that they email me and ask if I want to upgrade to a service grade, but will be happy with whatever.
View Quote

I noticed the Winchester’s were closed while they fill current orders.  Looks like only SA/HRA service grades and IHC are available.  

@Ar15Jason how much pitting was on the receiver of the Rack special you got?  Description leads me to think it’s a lot.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I noticed the Winchester’s were closed while they fill current orders.  Looks like only SA/HRA service grades and IHC are available.  
View Quote

I think I was able to get my order in before they cut sales off.  
Here's to hoping.  

Meanwhile my Springfields; New potato cam is arriving Friday.  Maybe better pics in the future.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Any clue as to what these markings mean?  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#30]
bump
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Not able to help with the barrel markings.  Proof test stamps are the best guess I have.  I was able to clean the two Springfields up.  
Attachment Attached File

Pup approved.

Attachment Attached File

Rock Island Arsenal stamps

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top