Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2020 7:22:06 PM EDT
https://www.classicfirearms.com/m1carbine-surplus-rifle-30cal-w-15-rd-mag/

Anyone know where they got them? They don't seem to want to say in the Q/A on the site. Royal tiger imports? But they are charging more than royal tiger (and reviews of the royal tiger guns seem to mostly be pretty negative).

I would buy one up in an instant but in the past Classic has sent me items that were graded quite generously in their favor - pretty rough.

In the video most they show look decent.

Bet they will sell out fast. Going to give it the drive home from work to decide but I think I'm going to bite. Everytime I swear off Classic it seems like they get something else I want...

What does the hive think?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got the email and watched a few minutes of it. Went to their website and they had 2 left, which both sold in about a minute.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course.

Drove home and decided what the heck I’ll try classic again.

Too late.

Oh well. Probably better to try to snag a specific rifle through gunbroker for that price anyway?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My guess would be Ethiopia, same as the RTI carbines. The only other large "known" quantity of Carbines out there are the Korean ones and those are prohibited from being imported still
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Weird thing though, Classic state theirs aren't import marked.  If from Ethiopia they shouldn't they have been?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think everything that is imported from outside of the US has to be stamped. Unless it was US property like the garands. Maybe I am wrong though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird thing though, Classic state theirs aren't import marked.  If from Ethiopia they shouldn't they have been?

I think everything that is imported from outside of the US has to be stamped. Unless it was US property like the garands. Maybe I am wrong though?

Correct, the only rifles that can be imported back to the US are those the US Military "loans" to foreign governments can come back without import marks.  Somehow the Ethiopian Carbines were directly transferred to their ownership.

Most CMP M-1 Carbines during the last decade came back from other countries that way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a fair price on an M1 carbine currently? I know there are a lot of special cases but say an Underwood or National Postal Meter in re-arsenaled but not bubba'ed condition. Something like these classic firearms specimens purport to be.

I mentioned having been burned by classic a few times on condition. But this is probably the 3rd time I have also hesitated when they put something I really wanted up on the site and then missed out because I wanted to think on it. Previously - Polish RAK pistols back when they had them for like $600 about a year ago and special aluminum frame browning hi-powers they had briefly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is a fair price on an M1 carbine currently? I know there are a lot of special cases but say an Underwood or National Postal Meter in re-arsenaled but not bubba'ed condition. Something like these classic firearms specimens purport to be.

I mentioned having been burned by classic a few times on condition. But this is probably the 3rd time I have also hesitated when they put something I really wanted up on the site and then missed out because I wanted to think on it. Previously - Polish RAK pistols back when they had them for like $600 about a year ago and special aluminum frame browning hi-powers they had briefly.
View Quote

M-1 Carbine prices have skyrocketed the past few years. LGS prices ranging from $1200-1400 for  re-arsenaled ones. I've been steering clear of the RTI or now the Classic imports because with a little effort odds are you can find one real time you can inspect real time (that and I have 5 of them now)

A new production Fulton Armory, 2 USGI Inlands, a "Howa" based off a Winchester receiver and a Plainfield I bought 4 weeks ago. The HowaChester as I call it now looks like this

I'm trying the folding stock and tac rail with a red dot
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice collection!

I have a CMP Garand and a CMP 1911 so I want to pick up a carbine to complete the set (ha, yeah right, probably will want a Thompson or something after that, I guess its never complete...).

I wish CMP still sold them.

I'm thinking i'm going to take the plunge and start bidding on one from gunbroker.

I really like the idea of one of the models made by a non-gun manufacturing company like a rock-ola or national postal meter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice collection!

I have a CMP Garand and a CMP 1911 so I want to pick up a carbine to complete the set (ha, yeah right, probably will want a Thompson or something after that, I guess its never complete...).

I'm thinking i'm going to take the plunge and start bidding on one from gunbroker.

I really like the idea of one of the models made by a non-gun manufacturing company like a rock-ola or national postal meter.
View Quote

Gunbroker unfortunately is not the place to find deals unless it is a mislabeled, underpriced buy it now that goes instantly, or you roll the dice on terrible pictures/item description. It is absolutely an easy way to find decent stuff if you are willing to pay.

"Hometown" or in-state sale forums are often a good place to pick up very good deals on C&R firearms if you can move fast and/or drive to meet.

Seconded above on LGS carbine prices; <$1000 is rare for anything. Expect to pay to 10-20% premium for anything but an Inland.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Gunbroker unfortunately is not the place to find deals unless it is a mislabeled, underpriced buy it now that goes instantly, or you roll the dice on terrible pictures/item description. It is absolutely an easy way to find decent stuff if you are willing to pay.

"Hometown" or in-state sale forums are often a good place to pick up very good deals on C&R firearms if you can move fast and/or drive to meet.

Seconded above on LGS carbine prices; <$1000 is rare for anything. Expect to pay to 10-20% premium for anything but an Inland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice collection!

I would go with the Inland myself, of the WWII manufactures they had the best rep overall for quality. Gunbroker is chancy for getting what is in the description. That's why I suggested taking the time to search LGS's. Get this if you do

Barrel Gauge  

Expect the average barrel to gauge a "2", these are 75 year old rifles.

Honest, the best way to get a decent, reliable M-1 Carbine in 2020 is bite the bullet and get a new production Fulton Armory version. Their expensive, but given well cared for USGI Carbines command prices close to $1400-1600 bucks it does have advantages. You get a lifetime warranty, a rifle with zero rounds on it and one made to USGI or better specs compared to current or past commercial Carbines
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would go with the Inland myself, of the WWII manufactures they had the best rep overall for quality. Gunbroker is chancy for getting what is in the description. That's why I suggested taking the time to search LGS's. Get this if you do

Barrel Gauge  

Honest, the best way to get a decent, reliable M-1 Carbine in 2020 is bite the bullet and get a new production Fulton Armory version. Their expensive, but given well cared for USGI Carbines command prices close to $1400-1600 bucks it does have advantages. You get a lifetime warranty, a rifle with zero rounds on it and one made to USGI or better specs compared to current or past commercial Carbines
View Quote

Yeah. Those are nice, but they weren’t carried in WW2. I want the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel Gauge  

i can understand that, since I own 2 USGI models already. I would still try realtime 1st before buying from Classic or RTI, there have been enough issues posted on them I'd be leery as a 1st time buyer.

Just get the gauge if you can, it'll help with shot out barrels.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the advice. After spending some time sorting through gunbroker I think I get it - hard to tell what is what and if you will actually get what you intended. Going to keep looking local and if those show back up on classic I will probably pull the trigger - although my experience has been whenever something sells out instantly there when they get more it goes up at an even higher price point the second time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#15]
They're back on Classic Firearms. Looks like now they have even more and a greater variety of manufacturers.

This time I snapped one up fast. We will see how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They're back on Classic Firearms. Looks like now they have even more and a greater variety of manufacturers.

This time I snapped one up fast. We will see how it goes.
View Quote

Post pictures when you get it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will do. Ordered a National Postal Meter and paid an extra $50 for hand pick - we will see.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Will do. Ordered a National Postal Meter and paid an extra $50 for hand pick - we will see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about ordering an Inland but I've got a Fulton Armory M-1 Paratrooper model carbine on order I talked myself into so that'll give me 6 of the damn things, that's enough

I'm curios on how their doing the import mark, Classic is claiming these don't have them but if their from Ethiopia they have to have one on them
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
What were they priced at?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What were they priced at?
View Quote

$1300ish IIRR. Out of stock from the looks of it. That price it's worth looking around at LGS to see if you can find one real time you can inspect and look over before you buy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes and I paid a bit more to get a national postal meter and another $50 for the hand select that I’m not sure really gets you anything. Total around $1500. Ouch, but I have wanted one forever.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes and I paid a bit more to get a national postal meter and another $50 for the hand select that I’m not sure really gets you anything. Total around $1500. Ouch, but I have wanted one forever.
View Quote

Ouch......$1500 bucks I know of a really nice Carbine at a local shop. I've been avoiding it because I own 5 of them already plus I ordered that Fulton Armory model last month that'll run me some money.

Hopefully yours is a nice one, post pictures when you get it
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Ok.

Finally have pictures.

This is what you get from Classic.

Imported by someone called Ioinc. Some quick googling reveals that is interordnance - who's website just links to royal tiger. So looks like these are likely royal tiger imports guns after all - my initial question. Would have been a similar price from RTI anyway $999 +200 for national postal meter + $200 for very good to excellent condition.

The import markings are pretty shallow - not too bad.

The gun is dirty as it gets but seems like its in pretty good condition. I don't really know well enough how to objectively say - some dings in the wood. Some areas where the metal finish is worn. The bore is super dirty but I can see rifling that looks pretty normal in depth to me.

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok.

Finally have pictures.

This is what you get from Classic.

Imported by someone called Ioinc. Some quick googling reveals that is interordnance - who's website just links to royal tiger. So looks like these are likely royal tiger imports guns after all - my initial question. Would have been a similar price from RTI anyway $999 +200 for national postal meter + $200 for very good to excellent condition.

The import markings are pretty shallow - not too bad.

The gun is dirty as it gets but seems like its in pretty good condition. I don't really know well enough how to objectively say - some dings in the wood. Some areas where the metal finish is worn. The bore is super dirty but I can see rifling that looks pretty normal in depth to me.

https://i.ibb.co/TWXCGY4/1.png https://i.ibb.co/L5cR8Vn/2.png https://i.ibb.co/fkqPbz0/3.png https://i.ibb.co/dPYR2Xg/4.png https://i.ibb.co/qpGJWR3/5.png https://i.ibb.co/6s8XxmR/6.png https://i.ibb.co/6s8XxmR/6.png
View Quote

Can't tell anything from your photo's, they won't enlarge when I click on them.

Sounds like a average RTI import IMO. Clean it, see how it runs then make a decision from there. I know of several people who bought these running them through Fulton Armory for checks and work as needed, hopefully yours won't need it.

Hopefully you snagged ammo before the price hike on the Korean surplus that hit this week, SG raised it $15 bucks on the 120 round bandoliers and $100 bucks on the 1080 ammo cans. IMO it's no longer worth the prices when you can find new production brass cased similar price with some work on Ammoseek
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hopefully you snagged ammo before the price hike on the Korean surplus that hit this week, SG raised it $15 bucks on the 120 round bandoliers and $100 bucks on the 1080 ammo cans. IMO it's no longer worth the prices when you can find new production brass cased similar price with some work on Ammoseek
View Quote

Funny you mention it. Just by chance I picked up a can a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you, because it went up big time. I'm hoping retailers realize people won't pay that for surplus, I've 2000 rounds of it myself that should last me through the winter (I shoot a couple of my Carbines alot ) but I ain't paying $548 a case for ammo I have to inspect every round on.

I would do that with your lot also, I've tossed 30-40 rounds of what I've bought this year due to corrosion or the like. I've spent time cleaning soot off quite a few rounds last couple batches I've shot
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I also recently picked up one of these Classic M1Carbines.  I got an Inland and like you said, it is dirty as all get out.  I have had a Blue Sky import Inland that I bought 20 years ago for $350 from an old lady who was selling her deceased husband’s collection.  I wanted another as backup/parts/whatever since they aren’t making any more old ones.  I need to get it cleaned up and checked out.  They certainly are fun little shooters.  Fortunately I have been accumulating ammo over the years so I don’t need to scrounge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top