Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 11:39:55 PM EDT
I found one locally that looks to literally be unfired. I would like to have an M14 variant in my collection, because why not?

Are they worth $999?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have wanted one for forever.. or at least the early 90's.   From what I hear some were great and some were dogs......     I would probably be willing to pay that to find out.....    
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a little high. They were bringing $900 or so last I checked gb.
One sat at a LGS here for 3 weeks at $825.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go for $900. Most Polytechs and Norincos are side-stamped. The heel marked ones look a little nicer. I generally prefer the Norinco because the op rod is cut like USGI (for the connector) and they also use a USGI length connector lock pin, which makes swapping stocks less of a hassle. I swapped connector lock pins to mil-spec length on my Polytechs.

They are generally excellent rifles with forged receivers and good precision from their chrome-lined barrels, equal to US military M14 rifles. You are likely to have a rear sight which won't hold adjustment (all are copies marked WCE) but that's nothing swapping a couple parts won't fix.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go for $900. Most Polytechs and Norincos are side-stamped. The heel marked ones look a little nicer. I generally prefer the Norinco because the op rod is cut like USGI (for the connector) and they also use a USGI length connector lock pin, which makes swapping stocks less of a hassle. I swapped connector lock pins to mil-spec length on my Polytechs.

They are generally excellent rifles with forged receivers and good precision from their chrome-lined barrels, equal to US military M14 rifles. You are likely to have a rear sight which won't hold adjustment (all are copies marked WCE) but that's nothing swapping a couple parts won't fix.
View Quote
Agreed.  An added plus, if you decide to scope it, the mounting grooves are within USGI specs, so most, if not all, scope mounts fit without a problem.  Something some SAI M1As have a problem with. Many people consider the Polytechs to be superior to the SAI M1A.  
Having said that, Polytechs do have some potential problems spots.  One of which has already been mentioned.
#1.  Rear sight may not hold zero.  Usually a bad flat spring inside.  Easy fix.  Replace the sight knob with USGI.  Garand knobs will work, Recommendation..............all Chinese made knobs are marked WCE.  So don't replace a bad WCE knob with another WCE knob which may be bad.
#2.  Triggers and hammers could be soft.  Again, easy fix.  Replace with USGI.  Garand parts will work.
#3.  Springs tend to be a little soft and undersized.  Replace at least the op rod spring.  

I've got 3 Polytech M14S , and had one SAI M1A.  I got rid of the SAI due to its habit of sticking at least one empty per magazine in the chamber.  A somewhat common problem for SAI.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Some can  be miss. Mine had a few issues. First I checked the Rockwell hardness at work and it was 10 points lower than US military specs on the receivers. It was soft . I checked headspace and it was good but a tad long for A NEW RIFLE.  This is the fun part. I loosened the set screw that helps hold the barrel on and unscrewed the barrel by hand. It was loose . This is from Uncle ho's factory. End of story is I sent it to SEI and got it re hardened to spec and USGI parts swap. Its a great rifle now. The receiver is what your really buying. Congrads if you get it . But check it out. Mine is a Norinco built with all TRW parts . WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some can  be miss. Mine had a few issues. First I checked the Rockwell hardness at work and it was 10 points lower than US military specs on the receivers. It was soft . I checked headspace and it was good but a tad long for A NEW RIFLE.  This is the fun part. I loosened the set screw that helps hold the barrel on and unscrewed the barrel by hand. It was loose . This is from Uncle ho's factory. End of story is I sent it to SEI and got it re hardened to spec and USGI parts swap. Its a great rifle now. The receiver is what your really buying. Congrads if you get it . But check it out. Mine is a Norinco built with all TRW parts . WarDawg
View Quote
Me Norinco rifle having.

Bolt replacing with capitalist bolt TRW and fascist rear sights of Beretta.  

Rifle also Amerikanski flame hidener having.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's pretty wild. I've had 7 of them, and none had loose barrels. I read they used the side screw just as an extra precaution. I rebarreled one with a medium weight Douglas NM and swapped all GI parts onto it. Another has a GI bolt, trigger group, sight, and flash suppressor. The rest have their original bolts and have never had an issue. One actually had a good rear sight which holds adjustment. I don't think anyone replaced it previously. Still marked WCE.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine new in the box in 93, it's been a great rifle, consistent 2moa with handloads and irons, reliable. Had a scope on it for a while, just like it better without it. It is what it is, a battle rifle designed to shoot with iron sights. I ring a man sized silhouette at 300 with it with boring regularity. I have other rifles for scopes and precision work.

It's 100 % as it came out of the box, never had any issues that were the guns fault.

$999 seems a bit high in todays market.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found one locally that looks to literally be unfired. I would like to have an M14 variant in my collection, because why not?

Are they worth $999?
View Quote

Holy shit, $999?!?!  I bought mine brand new for about $425 CAD.  People like me always want Springfield but can't afford it so we end up with the Norcs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Knob Creej has had a used one on their shelf for over 18 months now, asking $1200 for it.  I've seen them used online for $800 in the past year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Knob Creek has had a used one on their shelf for over 18 months now, asking $1200 for it.  I've seen them used online for $800 in the past year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Holy shit, $999?!?!  I bought mine brand new for about $425 CAD.  People like me always want Springfield but can't afford it so we end up with the Norcs.
View Quote
You're not missing anything not affording SAI. I wish we could buy Chinese M14S rifles for $425 CAD. That's only $335 USD!
As previously stated, SAI receivers are known for having out-of-spec optics mounting surfaces, while every Chinese rifle I've attached a base to has always been in-spec.
I'd buy one of those Chinese bullpups in 5.56mm if I could. Supposedly they're going to sell the 12ga version in the US. Not sure if it's good or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Bought mine almost new in the box three or four years ago, $850 as I recall.  Replaced the rear sight, otherwise it's been good to go.

$999 is about an average price.  They seem to range from $800 to $1,200.  There's usually a handful for sale on GB.  Not exactly rare but not always easy to find either. I rarely see one on the gun show circuit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my Polytech. It's been a while since I have fired it. So many 308's in the stable that its been pushed aside. I did put it into an MCS chassis and it functions great, granted, it's always functioned great. Mine seems to eat anything I feed it, from shitty grimy steel cased, to match loads without issue.

After getting it I had one case head separation, and caused some concern. Checked the chamber. It's in spec, and acceptable. 3K rds later, with a USGI extractor on the original bolt, it's still working great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one it is a solid rifle.  At that price you are in the lower range of Springfield money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top