Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2016 10:18:42 AM EDT
A friend and I both bought Service Grade Springfields about 5 years ago.  He kept his, I sold mine shortly after.  

I keep seeing the values rise and the CMP keeps running out of things little by little, I decided I needed to get another one before I couldn't afford one anymore.  So I bought this Springfield off my buddy.

I would like a little help figuring out which bayonet I have.  They don't interest me at all honestly and I'm probably going to sell it at some point, I just don't know which one I have.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
You got a good one.  It looks like everything matches except for the op-rod.   Keep it as is or see if someone wants to swap for a post war SA op-rod on CMP's forums.  I has a similar gun and swapped op-rods.  You have a good barrel too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Great information below... (In response to the bayonet inquiry)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjXjdTRuvvQAhXKwFQKHWbfD3UQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthegca.org%2Fpdfs%2FBayonets409.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHkYO9jarYSwQdhuYsS2-I6RAUMbw&sig2=nhjIS05X7LQ7EDSuF6Tq-w
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on what point grind you have it looks like an M1905E or M1905E1. Basically an M1905 bayonet that has been rearsenaled and cut down from 16" to 10". A chisel point would be an E and a spear point an E1. And an M7 sheath.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This will give you the lowdown on your bayonet: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_36.htm

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice SG from back when the Really nice Greek Returns were being sold by the CMP.

Bayonet is a Greek Made one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Your safety is a foreign made one IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Op Rod, safety , hammer , buttplate , trigger guard and spring plunger are also not correct. Trigger guard is stamped but has a milled hook which was used at the end of WWII
Nice Garand, sure it will make a great shooter
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, great looking M1. More or less a mixmaster, but who cares?  There are M1 collectors whose rifles never see the range, and then there were guys who buy these old warhorses to shoot  - a lot.

Some Garands are even showing up at 3-Gun matches, in the Heavy Metal Division, where they're being shot by young guys whose Grandfathers or Great-Grandfathers carried one in WW2 or Korea.

So clean yours up, lube it properly, get a goodly amount of decent "M1-safe" ammo, and then get out to a range where you can zero it @ at least 200-yds.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, great looking M1. More or less a mixmaster, but who cares?  There are M1 collectors whose rifles never see the range, and then there were guys who buy these old warhorses to shoot  - a lot.

Some Garands are even showing up at 3-Gun matches, in the Heavy Metal Division, where they're being shot by young guys whose Grandfathers or Great-Grandfathers carried one in WW2 or Korea.

So clean yours up, lube it properly, get a goodly amount of decent "M1-safe" ammo, and then get out to a range where you can zero it @ at least 200-yds.
View Quote

I've only had mine since the summer and have 1k rounds through it. Out to 200 yards in the field with 2 backpacking hunting trips under our belt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've only had mine since the summer and have 1k rounds through it. Out to 200 yards in the field with 2 backpacking hunting trips under our belt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.
I just hate the thought of "pure collectors"  buying up all these historic rifles to do nothing but gather dust as Safe Queens, never to be shot again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's awesome.
I just hate the thought of "pure collectors"  buying up all these historic rifles to do nothing but gather dust as Safe Queens, never to be shot again.
View Quote

Well between those people and the CMP running out of them, it's increasing the values of the rifles that are for sale.  I don't think these will ever see NFA rifle prices, but already around me it's hard to find one under $1200-$1500 at a gun shop, and they don't last long at that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top