Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2016 8:11:34 PM EDT
So i bought an ACOG with a 308 reticle for my MDR (haha i know) when it arrives. As that seems less and less likely now I want to throw it on the M1A i have. What is the best mount for achieving this? A lot of the mounts I have seen seem to place the sight/scope/red dot etc very high above the bore....which isn't ideal so recommendations are appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So i bought an ACOG with a 308 reticle for my MDR (haha i know) when it arrives. As that seems less and less likely now I want to throw it on the M1A i have. What is the best mount for achieving this? A lot of the mounts I have seen seem to place the sight/scope/red dot etc very high above the bore....which isn't ideal so recommendations are appreciated.
View Quote

You are going to have serious height over bore issues using that scope on a M1-A. Even scopes using low rings require some sort of support added to the stock to raise the shooters eyes. I see an AR10 in your near future.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are going to have serious height over bore issues using that scope on a M1-A. Even scopes using low rings require some sort of support added to the stock to raise the shooters eyes. I see an AR10 in your near future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol you know an AR10 or AR in 308 is the one common 308 rifle i don't own....you guys hurt my wallet so bad sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I like M1A's.   Not saying I wouldn't like an AR10, but my M1A has been real accurate so far.  

Do you have a mount for your M1A yet?  If not, I'd get a super low one, like an ARMS, and then just mount it with the TA51 mount.  Yes, it will be kind of high, but it's not like it's horrible.  I can still shoot pretty good groups with mine.  I have a Springy Gen III mount with some low rings.  But even though the mount is high, my scope is barely clearing the irons.  So if your optic is going to hang that far back, which it might have to, to get proper eye relief you need to clear the rear sight, or take it off.  My guess is the ARMS mount with the ACOG would be just about perfect.  

Can we get a pic of yours?  What kind do you have???????

This was a couple of weeks ago:

168 grain Federal ,forgot to put that in the notes

that's actually 6 rounds. But just 50 yards.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I'll post some pics up tonight. I'll try the ARMS out. For years I used my FAL with an old 3x9 scope on it as my go to 308 rifle but to be honest I got a little tired of the weight and the trigger on my M1A is 100 times better.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only shot an FAL once.  And the only comment I have is I thought the M1A is nicer to shoot.  Seems like the bore is so high in the FAL that felt recoil is more.  But I don't know.  Seemed more awkward to me.  But I'm kind of partial to a traditional stock.  Growing up hunting and shooting hunting rifles and BB guns.  

Looking forward to pics.

I guess it is kinda high....  but maybe doable....

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith has an ACOG specific model to move the optic back closer to the shooters eye, first one listed on the page.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html

If you've got money, then this trijicon specific M14 mount might be just for you

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116124/trijicon-acog-ta70-picatinny-style-low-profile-rail-mount-m14-m1a-matte
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol you know an AR10 or AR in 308 is the one common 308 rifle i don't own....you guys hurt my wallet so bad sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick with the M1A- it will serve you well Most people use the Sadlak mount with great success. Then just throw on a cheek rest if needed and say no to chin welds Then your GTG
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys sorry for no pics yet had some medical stuff come up with wife last night will try to post some pics later
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be praying for you guys.  Sorry to hear.  Hope she feels better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks JJ it's been a tough week, very sad for both of us. Anyway as promised here are some pics of my M1A from the last year or so:

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks JJ it's been a tough week, very sad for both of us. Anyway as promised here are some pics of my M1A from the last year or so:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/m1a2_2.jpg~original

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/xmas2.jpg~original

View Quote

Great rifles and hope your wife is feeling better ??
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/m1a2_2.jpg~original

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Aeneas2020/xmas2.jpg~original

View Quote

More impressive then your rifles are your guns!!!!  Boom.  LOL.  I'm all skinny so I have to give props.  

Hope your wife is feeling better.  Sorry about the crap. Medical issues are no fun.  We will keep praying.  

But nice looking rifles.  An ACOG on there would be sweet.  Although maybe you wanna trade me for my Aimpoint PRO and something else?    I so want an ACOG for my M4gery.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. JJ they look bigger in that pic than they are. I work out 3 hours a day so I try to keep in shape lol. That also means I run on about 4 hours of sleep a night though. I think I'll take the m1a hog hunting this fall.

Thanks also for the well wishes about the wife. Clearly I won't post the details here but I will say that it was a huge blow to both of us and it's going to be a while before she recovers. Anyway that's the last thing I'll say about it this thing is supposed to be about guns!
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ooooooo, hog hunting.  That sounds like so much fun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got several M1As and several ACOGs, but have never been satisfied with a pairing of the two.  The eye relief and check height combination never felt right to me, even with the suggested mounts.  It just seemed to kill any natural or solid-feeling fit or weld to the rifle for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got several M1As and several ACOGs, but have never been satisfied with a pairing of the two.  The eye relief and check height combination never felt right to me, even with the suggested mounts.  It just seemed to kill any natural or solid-feeling fit or weld to the rifle for me.
View Quote

I actually just ended up throwing the ACOG on my FAL for now. I'll wait to see if santa brings me a scope mount . I'll post pics tonight I guess lol

Edit:

Don't hate me

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good to me!!!!!!   Nice pic too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had an Accupower in LaRue low rings on an ARMS mount. With a padded cheek riser, it was almost perfect.
But that was about as low as a non-Scount style optic setup could get (from what I could find).
And ACOG would be much, much more difficult for the reasons people mentioned here (relief and height)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've only shot an FAL once.  And the only comment I have is I thought the M1A is nicer to shoot.  Seems like the bore is so high in the FAL that felt recoil is more.  But I don't know.  Seemed more awkward to me.  But I'm kind of partial to a traditional stock.  Growing up hunting and shooting hunting rifles and BB guns.  

Looking forward to pics.

I guess it is kinda high....  but maybe doable....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ChrisV196/199932.jpg
View Quote

I had an ACOG on my rife in that position.  The problem is that ejected shell casings hit the ACOG mount and were starting to chew into it.  I decided to get a Troy (I know, I know) Battle Rail and put it on.  The ACOG sits further back, and is a little bit lower.  Still, in my opinion, the ACOG and the M1A just aren't a good combo.  It's a pretty accurate gun, but its just not comfortable on the neck, even with a cheek pad.  I'm 6'2", and even with my size, shooting with this setup is just awkward.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#20]
ARMS makes a great receiver mount for the M1A, there may be a great condition one in the EE
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#21]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smith has an ACOG specific model to move the optic back closer to the shooters eye, first one listed on the page.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html

If you've got money, then this trijicon specific M14 mount might be just for you

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116124/trijicon-acog-ta70-picatinny-style-low-profile-rail-mount-m14-m1a-matte
View Quote

I've seen this in their shop and it's a really nice mount. IF I was gonna mount a ACOG I'd go this route.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out Black Feather M14 mounts.

Black Feather M14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top