Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2002 11:08:55 AM EDT
Are there any scope mounts that do not require you to virtually take the whole rifle apart? The Springfield 3rd Generation scope mount has a 6 page instruction booklet on how to mount it. I want something that I can slap on and off. Any options?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
There really are only a few choices for mounts and none are a quick detachable type.None of the ones I know of are that big of a deal to install.

1.Brookfield-in current use by the military,the best,good luck finding one.

2.Smith-a clone of the Brookfield.I have one on my M1A,good solid mount.www.smithenterprise.com

3.Arms-another fine solid mount.www.armsmounts.com

4.McCann-another clone of the Brookfield

5.Springfield-some people say they are fine but the majority don't like them.They don't seem to hold their zero under the recoil of a .308

The 2 most popular are the Smith and ARMS.

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#2]
John, a rock-solid mount on the M1A is critical for accuracy.  I have found that the ARMS #18 with the #22 throw rings is the best combination of versatility and stability.  I can remove my scope in about five seconds and install it in the same amount of time.  My 300 yard zero repeats nicely.  The only drawback with the ARMS is that you cannot use the irons with the scope and rings installed.  There are other options available.  The Brookfield Precision mount is the best, but rarely available and very expensive.  I have not used the Smith Enterprises mount, but it is supposed to be comparable to the Brookfield.  The SA mount is absolutely a POS, IMHO.

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. These options are freaking $200 or more. Add a good scope and I'm looking at a grand or so. Damn. Almost the cost of the gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
A.R.M.S. #18,#19A (not ACOG)& #21 STANAG Rings

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You definately do not want to go cheap on your mount.You can put a $2000 US Optics scope on your M1A but if you've got a cheap mount you might as well have a $100 Tasco scope on it.I know what you mean about the prices but you will get what you pay for.I want a US Optics scope so bad I could scream.Right now I'm in the middle of a year long project of rat holing enough money from momma so I can have one.But I will have my US Optics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Grey, you will never be sorry.  I purchased a 10x SN-6 for my PSS this year and it is just unbelievable how clear the scope is when compared to my Leupold LRT 4 x 14 50mm at 14x, at  measured distances.  It is rock solid in every aspect and money well spent.  My eyes never get tired even after long periods of using the scope.  I highly recommend the USO 20 MOA Picatinny rail as well, along with the USO titanium tactical rings, depending on your rifle platform.

Sorry, John, I did not mean to hijack your thread.  FYI - The Leupold mentioned above is on my M1A.  Scope, ARMS mount and rings were about $850.  For good optics it is very common to spend as much on glass and mounts as you do on the rifle.  Also, GIBrat has a great combo as well.  His quick disconnect capability is on the 19A rail rather than the throw rings.  Because of the 19A slots he has more options for adjusting scope eye relief than I do with just the ARMS #18.  While the #18 may work for me, Brat's combination is a good one for greater versatility and adjustability because of the many slots on the #19A.

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry, John, I did not mean to hijack your thread.  FYI - The Leupold mentioned above is on my M1A.  Scope, ARMS mount and rings were about $850.  For good optics it is very common to spend as much on glass and mounts as you do on the rifle.  Also, GIBrat has a great combo as well.  His quick disconnect capability is on the 19A rail rather than the throw rings.  Because of the 19A slots he has more options for adjusting scope eye relief than I do with just the ARMS #18.  While the #18 may work for me, Brat's combination is a good one for greater versatility and adjustability because of the many slots on the #19A.

No apologies needed. I'm learning quite a lot from people like you. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll have to "bite the bullet" once, when attaching the scope mount.  All have some details, but that's what will buy you the solidity.  Any with the thumb-screw/knurled knob are about the same, which is NOT high precision.  Save your money.  If someone wants that type to fiddle with, I have two for $50. I'm going to put on the equipment exchange when I get to it.

For your use on a good optic, look into the ARMS # 18 as other have mentioned.  It's good quality, and mounts low so it's almost part of the receiver rather than something sticking up.  Get the ARMS scope rings (#22, I think), because their lever disconnect works great.  That's if the eye relief works with only the two small attachment points of the #18.  Otherwise, the #19A gives you a nice platform.  It sounds complicated but really isn't.  Rather, the system is quite flexible.  For most uses of just a scope, only the 18 and the rings will do.  If you want other devices, such as Aimpoints, then you;ll need a 19.  

When mounting the 18, remember that there is a 3 point mounting system.  That is, there are two connection points to the receiver other than that side screw.  That allows for some pitch in the  mount, which affects the up/down settings of the scope.  A trick is to zero your scope, mount it, and use a boresighter to do the final setting of the setscrew on the 18.  Avoids a lot of difficulty some complain about.  Again, a lot simpler than it sounds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I just sold my Springfield mount. I'm leaning towards the Smith mount. I went to their website to order one, but they give you an option of either a Weaver or a Picitinny mount. What's the difference between the two mounts?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
the slots on a picatinny rail are evenly spaced.On the weaver they are not evenly spaced.Go with the pic rail.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the slots on a picatinny rail are evenly spaced.On the weaver they are not evenly spaced.Go with the pic rail.

Thanks for the input. The pic rail is the same as the one on my M-4 flat top, right?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks for the input. The pic rail is the same as the one on my M-4 flat top, right?

Thanks,
John

That is correct.You made a good choice with the smith mount.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

For most uses of just a scope, only the 18 and the rings will do.  If you want other devices, such as Aimpoints, then you;ll need a 19.  

I have a Aimpoint mounted on my M1A. I use a ARMS 18 mount and a Leupold QRW 30mm ring. It works great. Doesn't need a #19.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That is correct.You made a good choice with the smith mount.

How hard is it to mount the Smith mount? Dos it require me to take the rifle apart like the Springfield Mount?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
All it takes is a crescent wrench and a allen wrench.The allen wrench is supplied with the mount.It's easy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
From the instructions on my smith mount---

Tools needed-
(3) allen wrenches-supplied with mount

(1) 3/8 open end wrench or small crescent wrench-you supply

I don't know why any mount would require you to take the rifle apart. If you want to get a head start,I'll fax you the smith instructions.On 2nd thought I think they are on their website.

Basically,you slide the mount into the stripper clip guide,center,snug the allen wrench nuts,check to make sure everything is centered to the eye,then tightened down.

I never could get anybody to boresight my M1A because of the flashider so you'll just have to go to the range and start punching holes in paper.By centering the mount by eye you should be reasonably close.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
P.S.,you can use your iron sights with the smith mount.The only exception is when you have a scope with a big objective-56mm- as I do.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all your help, GreyGhost. If you ever come out to Laguna Beach, CA, e-mail me and I'll buy you and yours dinner by the ocean.

Thanks again,
John
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool, your from Laguna. I'm from Long Beach. To bad the Army's got me stuck out here in Hell Paso, TX. But hey, at least the guns are cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Cool, your from Laguna. I'm from Long Beach. To bad the Army's got me stuck out here in Hell Paso, TX. But hey, at least the guns are cheaper.

Isn't it hot out there? Yeah, the guns are cheaper, but can you bring them BACK into Cali?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top