Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2015 2:02:59 AM EDT
I know some here would probably think this sacrilegious but I've been considering taking the M1A out for a little deer hunting before I get too old to shoot irons proficiently.
Anybody here been doing it old school with irons?  If so, how did it go, ammo selection, pics, etc etc.

Old Marine

SA M1A Standard, GI fiberglass stock with auto selector filled, fore end reinforced, NM guide rod and 4.5 lb trigger.  (my version of a Marpat finish)
" />
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I used my M1A one season hunting in Montana, took a mule deer buck at a little over 200 yards.

I didn't use irons though because of the ranges you tend to shoot out west. My rifle was set up with the factory fiberglass stock, Nikon Monarch scope and a Harris bipod. Unfortunately, I didn't care for the setup, it was heavy to pack all day and it tended to be noisy when moving around.

I've since ditched the Springfield stock and bipod and have a beautifully refinished wood GI stock now, it packs a lot better but I prefer bolt guns for hunting.
I don't have a picture with the wood stock, but here's one with the Springfield stock (It was my first attempt at a camouflage job)

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hell yeah buddy!  

I can't say m1a, but I can say m1.  Honestly,  id stay similar bullet weight to surplus,  but go for your favorite hunting bullet.
View Quote

I thought about my Garand also but CMP charged me more for it than I paid for my M1A Standard so it'll continue to be a safe/range queen.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Never hunted with my M1A with iron sights.  I put a scope on it shortly after I got it and it's been scoped since.  I'm not one to take the scope mount on/off the rifle.  Maybe that's why I've never had an issue with the mount coming loose.

I also hunted with my 03A4 but never saw any bucks when I was carrying it.

I'd be hunting with my M1 Garand these days, if I was still deer hunting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost exclusively hunt with my m1a. I recently got my suppressors and wanted to use them for hunting . I built myself a 6.8 earlier this year but have had bad luck with blood trails and decided I didn't want to risk not being able to find my game. I suppressed my m1a and I am absolutely loving it. I have been using 150gr Hornady American whitetail and it's incredible how much the blood trails have improved.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a hankering to use my older milsurps for deer but I didn't draw a doe tag.  I only have the one tag.  

Anyways I would definitely look at using it, I like irons for rainy or snowy days so I'm not looking through a moisture covered scope.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot a moose with mine a few years ago.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've taken a couple bison with mine no issues
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know some here would probably think this sacrilegious but I've been considering taking the M1A out for a little deer hunting before I get too old to shoot irons proficiently.
Anybody here been doing it old school with irons?  If so, how did it go, ammo selection, pics, etc etc.

Old Marine
View Quote

Hunt almost exclusively with mine. Hogs and whitetail.  Used irons for pigs several times.

Used everything from 168 gr bthps to 147 gr FMJ. Almost always dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Wear a brimmed hat.  I missed a dear because the sun was at my back and my rear ap lit up like a drag strip tree and I couldn't see the front sight or deer for crap.  But I think if I would've hat a baseball hat on, it would've alleviated that problem.  Or if you're sitting under a covered stand then you have no problems.  I was on a push.   I probably would've gotten that one if I had my .30-30 that time.  

Actually that was a garand, but the irons are the same, so.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a hankering to use my older milsurps for deer but I didn't draw a doe tag.  I only have the one tag.  

Anyways I would definitely look at using it, I like irons for rainy or snowy days so I'm not looking through a moisture covered scope.
View Quote

I don't have that problem here, 3 does a day and I have plenty of people who say, "Come over here and kill some deer".  I donate all my extra kills to Hunters For Hungry or others in need.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
My M1A with irons IS my deer rifle.
Works great, points great, accurate, great stopping power, and doesn't weigh a ton.

Only complaint is that when you brush the flash hider off of a branch you get a distinctive TINGGGGGGG
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't have that problem here, 3 does a day and I have plenty of people who say, "Come over here and kill some deer".  I donate all my extra kills to Hunters For Hungry or others in need.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the scope fogging up thing was an issue when I was growing up.  If it was too moist a lot of guys with scopes had issues with em getting too foggy at times.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got the bhd setup on mine.  Split rail, aimpoint, the whole nine yards.  It is my preferred hunting rig.  I don't sit in stands.  I walk the trails and usually jump the deer.  Sometimes I get right up on them.  The red dot works great for leading a bolting deer.  Winchester silvertips are my favorite round.  They never make it more than a few yards.  I generally don't take any shots over 300 yards.  Most are within 25.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup.  My DMR clone has long been my favorite hunting rifle.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Works great, points great, accurate, great stopping power, and doesn't weigh a ton.

Only complaint is that when you brush the flash hider off of a branch you get a distinctive TINGGGGGGG
View Quote

This right here.

Mine is an '82 Springfield, all GI (less receiver), and it's my go to. I love that rifle. Shoots way better than it should.  It rivals the accuracy of my 2004 NM M1A, yet it is as basic as can be.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I take my m1a to elk camp every year, its my bad weather gun, we get all 4 seasons of weather, when its snowing or raining to hard, scopes are useless, haven't shot an elk with it yet, but one of these days
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top