Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:13:47 PM EDT
I'm about 2 weeks away from turning 18 and am interested in making my first purchase an M1. I would like something i can take out and shoot preferably GI wood. I'm not real worried about serial numbers or matching parts or a perfect finish but could use any info on what I could expect to pay and where i could go about finding/buying one. I live in Northwest Ohio and I've checked into CMP but it seems there numbers are little to none now a days and Im not sure where to look past CMP. Any suggestions or advice as to what to look for and where to find one would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
CMP has them and are worth the wait.  You will also get a weapon that is worth far more than you paid for it.  I'd swing by the store if I lived closer to either one of them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, go CMP especially if you live in Ohio. They still have them. You'll pay at least double on the secondary market (which are mostly CMP guns anyway)
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to the CMP store. It is Garand Heaven.................

You live in Ohio and have NO EXCUSE.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
OR....Order one from the South store, have it shipped to Ohio and save the sales tax $$$$ for ammo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the advice! Looks like I'll be checking out CMP. I only live like 30 min away from north store so I'll definitely check it out. Only problem I'm running into with the requirements is the proof of marksmanship. Any suggestions for meeting this requirement?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I took a CHL class and that worked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot in a 22 league.  That will count
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep CMP.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Store shelves have been bare for months,call before you go to see if anything is in stock
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of the time people post in this forum regarding the store inventory if you don't want to call the store directly.
Looks pretty bare right now.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a GSM (Garand / Springfield / Military) Clinlic at a club close to you.  The club generally shoots a match after the classroom portion.  Club will generally have rifles to loan and you can buy ammo for the match.  Coaches often are setup and will let you use their mat, spotting scope and possibly even a coat and glove if it will fit.   Should be fairly inexpensive and it will meet the requirements for marksmanship participation.  Or go to an Appleseed event.  

There are a number of events that qualify as marksmanship participation.

The North Store has been pretty barren as of late and if there are Service / Field / Rack grades available you want to be there the day they are put out and well before the store opens to be at the front of the line.  The vultures will be there waiting to pick them clean.  

Be aware there are new prices.  The price of the rifle now includes the shipping.  Regardless if you ship it or not.  Since you are an Ohio resident you also have the pleasure of paying 7% sales tax on top of that.  So you may as well take it home with you.  

The store currently has some .308 Specials (CMP built guns with new criterion barrel and new wood).  Plenty of C and D snipers but those are pricey and pretty picked over.  

Pay attention to the North Store area of the CMP forum to stay up to date and if you do want to go, call the afternoon before to see what the inventory expectations are.  The staff is very helpful, especially if you tell them you are shopping for your first Garand and that you are 18.  Bob, Jim and Mike won't steer you wrong.  

I'll be down there the last weekend of the month taking the GSM Master Instructor course.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I sent my paperwork in on 12/19/14 and received the rifle on 12/26/14......YEP, 7 days front sent to received.  If you want one, the CMP will have one for you.  

What your looking for is exactly what you'll get from the CMP.  A shooter, with a mixup of parts.  If your lucky you will get an original barrel to your receiver, and USGI walnut!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Take an Appleseed course, that will meet the requirement AND provide you some valuable training
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the suggestions I will most likely take an Appleseed course to meet the marksmanship requirement. Seems to be simple and something that will help improve my shooting ability.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the advice! Looks like I'll be checking out CMP. I only live like 30 min away from north store so I'll definitely check it out. Only problem I'm running into with the requirements is the proof of marksmanship. Any suggestions for meeting this requirement?
View Quote

Join the Garand Collectors Association ($25)

http://www.thegca.org/membership

They will forward your membership information to the CMP. If you sign up online, you will be given a drop-down menu that will allow you to choose to have them forward the info to the CMP. This will avoid having to fill out a form and fax or mail it. I have been a member for several years now.

Here is the link to the CMP Eligibility Requirements.

CMP
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't notice that these were your first posts.... Welcome  
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
You have to also be a member of a CMP affiliated club, or belong to GCA.

The selection at the North Store isn't like it used to be. The headquarters down south usually sends some nicer Garands up north in time for the Camp Perry matches so you could wait till then, or if you have $1,035 + tax get a CMP Special which has a new stock & barrel and is essentially a new gun compared to the WW2/Korean war remnants.  Compared to a couple years ago, the current field and service grades aren't as nice as they used to be and need some stock work & reparking to clean them up compared to the rifles in the past.

Shuffs Parkerizing is just to the NW of Toledo in far southern MI does a great job for a reasonable price to repark all the metal & clean  up a dinged up muzzle.  If you know someone in your area that's good at refinishing stocks, or can do it yourself you could still get a field or service grade & fix them up. The guys at the North Store are very helpful.

My. 02
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't hesitate to order from the CMP, personally it's worth the wait
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#19]
There's no reason to order & wait months when the North Store is close by.

Once you have your qualification paperwork just drive to the North Store at Camp Perry/Port Clinton since you're in the same area. This is much better vs. ordering through the mail. Its much more satisfying to pick out the Garand that catches your eye & meets your standards vs. waiting for months & getting something blind.

Service grades ($730) will be in better condition than Field Grades ($630).

If you find one that needs reparking you're in the same area as Shuffs Parkerizing (Jerome, MI). He's a great guy and has a good turn around time. The guy can take apart & put together in his sleep he's done it so much. For reparking you won't be disappointed.

Shuffs Parkerizing

Even if the metal needs reparking look for Garand with as low a TE (throat erosion) and decent wood (if you don't get a CMP special - $1030) as you can find, and an OK ME (muzzle erosion).

The guys at the North Store have gages & can help you use them, and likely any other Grand-nut there will help since you'd be a new-be. Then take it to Shuffs & have him repark it, re-crown the barrel to clean that up & regain a low ME, and have him do a 5 lb. trigger job. This all would be a  "Shuffs Special" (the repark, recrown & trigger job) at $178. Pick up a web sling and a can of 06 ball at the North Store also.

He's done several Garands for me & I've stopped by his shop a couple times on trips back that way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's no reason to order & wait months when the North Store is close by.
. This is much better vs. ordering through the mail.
View Quote

Not anymore it isnt. No selection at either of the Stores. Its been that way for many, many months
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes I know the selection hasn't near as good for awhile & have stated that above. I haven't been to the NS in about 3 yrs. and will likely be surprised when I swing by there sometime this summer. IMO the golden age is over.  But we all know there are plenty of folks that are at the NS when it gets a shipment in.

But if you're willing to find a field/service grade in as good as a condition as possible, take it to Shuffs for the work I described above, then there are still options for the OP to put a nice shooter together vs. waiting. You can have a nice restored shooter Garand done & in use well before an order arrives in the mail.

IMO I have always liked getting mine by picking them out at the NS then restoring them, although I still value my DCM gun & a couple others that I got in the mail.

Plus there are still CMP specials there if you have the extra $$ and not hard up about getting an original barrel.  Still plenty of options.

I'll likely get a Special this summer when I stop by since I have plenty of standard Garands when I stopped by regularly from 09 to 11.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to hit the NS several times a year. Selection has been so bad I stopped going about a year ago. Havent had any Fields or Service Grades at the NS for some time. Even during the National Matches last summer they just didnt have the rifles they did a few years ago.
Best bet is mail order a Service Grade
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#23]
According to the CMP Forum they had service grades at the NS the middle of last month. Considering the holidays its not surprising the stock is out for FG & SGs. But there are 30-06 and 308 M1 Specials there if he wants one of them. The latest report indicates there are Winchesters SG's and FG's at the South Store, so  something should be heading north soon.

All the OP has to do is to monitor the CMP Forum to see what's happening at the NS since he's so close. Regardless he needs to get all his paperwork/quals together whether he orders one thru the mail or visits the NS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top