Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2013 5:18:55 PM EDT
I just got a stock a from the CMP for my M1 Garand. Shape wise it looks great and fits great.  It is an American Black Walnut with linseed oil finish. The problem is that it looks really dry almost ashy looking. It looks like it would soak up a ton of water is I was shooting in the rain. Anyone have experience in this? How or what I can do to make it look better? Pic looks better than real life.      
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not oiled, they had stained it, mine was like that. I used BLO
and 0000 steelwool to finish mine up. I have 10 coats of BLO
and rubbed it in between coats with the steelwool. I did mine
in the middle of summer here in Texas, didn't take long for the coats
to dry.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
ok good I was worried because it said boiled linseed oil in the description. Thanks for your help.

Did you use a rag to apply the oil or brush?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I used a paint brush, forgot to tell you, I cut the BLO with
mineral spirits 50/50, then painted it on. I did that for the
first 4-5 coats. The rest I had cut to about 75 BLO 25 mineral spirits.
Also, I applied BLO to the inside of the stock and handguards
but I didn't use the 0000 steelwool, I just wiped down between
coats. I did hand rub the BLO into the wood.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

NOTE:  Rags, paper towels, steel wool, and other articles soaked in BLO 'may' spontaneously combust.

BLO dries (more like, polymerizes) exothermically... i.e. it gives off heat as it "cures".

Make sure you dispose of your rags/paper towels/steel wool appropriately... burn them (in the woodstove, like I do, for instance) or soak in water and then let dry before throwing in the trash.

All that being said, BLO is just the ticket for finishing a walnut or birch CMP stock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

NOTE:  Rags, paper towels, steel wool, and other articles soaked in BLO 'may' spontaneously combust.

BLO dries (more like, polymerizes) exothermically... i.e. it gives off heat as it "cures".

Make sure you dispose of your rags/paper towels/steel wool appropriately... burn them (in the woodstove, like I do, for instance) or soak in water and then let dry before throwing in the trash.

All that being said, BLO is just the ticket for finishing a walnut or birch CMP stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do NOT put the oily rags in a sealed/covered container. If you put them in a can leave them uncovered outside so they will dry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always hung them up on a clothesline and dry, down
here even in the shade they would be dry in about 30
min in the summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top