Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2013 1:59:12 PM EDT
Just curious what you all think.  It's purely a mental exercise since there's no way in hell I can afford either option right now .  I've just been jonesing for a Mini-G when it struck me - if I'm ever going to drop that kind of coin, what's the practical difference between the two options (aside from adding a new caliber to the stable)?  Is there a clear advantage of one over the other that I'm overlooking?
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a fan of the AR15, and the M1Garand. I have a Tanker Garand.
Here are some random thoughts...  With a good 16" AR 15 you can easially have a choice of great optics, making it a valid 500 yard gun, with good ammo of course. It is easy to add lights, they are light weight, easy to shoot/carry, etc.  Hold 30 rounds, very quick to reload.  Ammo, mags, parts, etc are most every where.

With a Tanker Garand, or a Shuffs Mini G, you have the following advantages. AS a 308 or 30/06, it has a lot more thump, penetration, and wind bucking abiity.   But they are very hard to fit optics to.

They only hold 8 rounds, BUT you could have 1000 8 round clips, and thus have 8000 rounds loaded in those clips, or even more.

The Garand is a Classic, fun gun to shoot, and own. I love them...

However IF I could have only ONE for the Bad Days, IT would be a good AR15...

That being said I have many times carried my Tanker Garand, when traveling when going into California to visit friends, or when going on a hunting trip in bear country, as it can double as a spare hunting rifle, where I consider a 223 a "little" light for bear...
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I'm not looking for a "zombie gun" - I've got the AR for that .  I'm just wondering what would be a more worthwhile expenditure of $1,500 - a Mini-G or a Springfield SOCOM-16.  Both are Garand-style actions.  Both are ~ 16" barrels.  Both have "thump".  Both have similar if not identical ergos and handling characteristics.  I'm leaning towards the Mini-G simply because I already own a Garand and have a bunch of M2 ball but I didn't know if the price tag for a Shuff's was worth it when compared to a new Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the Mini-G simply because I already own a Garand and have a bunch of M2 ball ...
View Quote

That alone is good enough reason to get a Mini-G
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the Mini-G simply because I already own a Garand and have a bunch of M2 ball ...

It's killing me .  Sole income, two single-digit-age kids, crappy economy and the only thing to catch my lust costs a grand and a half.  Someday... someday....
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The real advantages of the Mini-G are it's availability in .35 Whelen and that it's 50 state legal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The real advantages of the Mini-G are it's availability in .35 Whelen and that it's 50 state legal.
View Quote

still legal in NY? im surprised.
but yeah, I have a Garand and a SOCOM, and love both. a Mini-G is on the wish list.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

but yeah, I have a Garand and a SOCOM, and love both. a Mini-G is on the wish list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might need to reduce the capacity in NY.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a SOCOM, but I own a Mini-G and love it.  Beautiful rifle and a lot of fun to shoot.  Customer service with Tim is top notch as well.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Garand is still legal In ny. The only rifle we can shoot in a service rifle match that won't need registration next year. I am looking for an affordable beater garand as a base for a mini g as we speak. For us ny people another option is lrb's neutered m14 style rifle but that is priced about the same as two mini g's!
I am hoping SA inc comes out with a more affordable ny compliant option as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top