Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2013 1:26:21 PM EDT
Picked up 100 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense .30 carbine ammo a couple months ago and took some out today to ensure it feeds through my Saginaw carbine.  I also had plenty of LC 72 ball ammo and a couple one-gallon jugs of water.

The jugs of water were both shot at approximately 30 yards, hanging on a chain connected to some sawhorses.  I double-tapped with the critical defense ammo, so the jug on the right had two rounds through it.  The jug on the left was hit with one round of LC72 ball.

Hardly an exhaustive test, but somewhat telling in the explosive expansion of the Critical Defense ammunition.  In fact, the expansion was so severe, it gives me pause.  The expansion appears completely uncontrolled.  The bullet jackets disintigrated in one gallon of water.

Jug on the left has a normal entry point and the exit is basically an uneven, five-inch vertical cut.  The jug on the right was shot twice with Critical Defense ammo and is completely shredded.  I will repeat this test shortly in a more controlled "one shot each" manner.  Until then, I'm sticking with Prvi soft-points.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent Old_Painless a link to this thread, maybe he can contribute.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool!  I didn't even know that they were going to make a .30 Carbine version.

Looks like it should feed well.  What weight is the bullet?

25 rounds is an odd package size.  I prefer my 15 round magazines, so a 50 round box worked fairly well.

The carbine is not my first line HD long gun, but with the right load it is very effective, and might indeed be perfect for the small framed or recoil sensitive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DocGKR is very positive about the M-1 carbine with good JHP ammo.  I haven't tested this ammo, but it looks like quality stuff.

Line up enough jugs to see if it will penetrate 24+ inches of water.  That will tell us something.

Will do.  I'll repost after the next test.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DocGKR is very positive about the M-1 carbine with good JHP ammo.  I haven't tested this ammo, but it looks like quality stuff.

Line up enough jugs to see if it will penetrate 24+ inches of water.  That will tell us something.

Hornady has a video of a gelatin test on their web-site.  They list the bullet as 110 grains.  Watching the video, it looks like it might be a good performer.  Hopefully, Hornady did it right.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I went out, shot it again into jugs of water.  Did the test twice--both times it went all the way through one of the larger water containers, then exited out the side of the second container, and lost.

I will try again, with jugs on the side to stop and escapee projectiles.  The jugs didn't explode like before--I'm wondering if one of my shots hit the chain the jug was hanging on...

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice.....

( I knew I should've patented broken M1 carbine bayonets....)

ETA: moar of my carbeen prön

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top