Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2013 10:53:12 AM EDT
I almost filled out the CMP paperwork a couple of years ago to get a M1, then never got around to it.

Now, the CMP site has .308 MI, for a grand:

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.308)
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

Sounds like a nice set up.  What do you like about the Garand?  How are the sights in action?  I've felt them at shops but never shot one.

Is a 1000 a decent price for the above set up?  Anyone have one of these CMP Speicals?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
if you are a true American Patriot we shouldn't have to talk you into it... you should just have something in your blood urging you to purchase one!

in all seriousness, get one. They are a hoot to fire and are dead sexy. There is just something about them that feels right in your hands. Honestly I could take my Garand or my AR into a combat situation and feel comfortable.

*NOTE* I am Pogue as fuck and have no actual combat experience.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:29:12 AM EDT
[#2]
My M1 Garand feels better in my hands than my M1A.

There is something cool about a rifle that shoots through vehicles at 600 meters.  That shoots through 20 plus inches of oak at 200 yds. (remember that thing about turning cover into concealment).

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought two years ago with plan to keep the one that shot best.  Eventually after a lot of fun it was a coin toss as they were evenly matched. I was also surprised it seemed so much smoother to shoot than my m1a.  I guess it has less recoil impulse?   Buy and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Garand a year or so ago. I liked it, but kept getting bitten by the tacticool bug. Sold it and bought an M1A, which was an OK gun, but REALLY made me appreciate the Garand. The Garand pointed better, felt more balanced, rattled less and just generally felt like it was a lot higher quality. And in CA, the M1 does 95% of what the M14 types do, at half the cost ($625 service grade, looks brand new).
Edit: Sold the M1A and bought another Garand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The Garand is one of my favorite guns to shoot. The Garands your looking at are not as collectable as some of the others available, but for that price youll get a great shooter!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Out of curiosity, why are you interested in the .308 version?  Unless you have a large stockpile of .308 ammo, you might want to go with the .30-06 since you can still get it fairly cheap from CMP and the ammo is very good.  Plus, you have history on your side with the .30-06.  If you are worried about supply drying up, you can always replace the gas plug with an adjustable one to shoot commercial loads.

I love the Garand.  I bought my first one at a gunshop and at the time was lukewarm on it.  Once I started learning about it and shooting it I fell in love.  Since then, I have bought 4 more from CMP.  I love the history, taking them apart, working on the stocks, looking for parts in the marketplace, and of course, shooting them.  There aren't many firearms that will get attention at the range, but an M1 usually will.  There is so much power in that rifle, and of course the 8th round ping.  Nothing like it.  

I'll just leave this here:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top