Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 4:08:52 PM EDT
My local funshop has a SA M1A, OD green synthetic stock, national match barrel for around 1500 bucks. I'm going to try and get it.
I've always wanted one. I know nothing about them. What can I expect as far as range accuracy/reliability? Caveats? While not exactly cheap, .308 is always available around here, so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interests as well. Know very little about them but i have plans to acquire one when the funds free up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
After reading up in this section, I also notice there are some differences in the loaded model and a true NM gun. I'd like some detailed info, and hopefully pics of the correct parts, such as buttplate, sights, etc so I know what to look for when I inspect this gun 'm looking to buy. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
One version of the loaded came with the air guaged medium weight NM barrel.  Had NM front sight and flash hider, Rear sight was NM aperture but non-hooded.  Also comes with a NM trigger group.

A true NM that I"m familiar will have everything above except a hooded rear NM sight, unitized gas cylinder, NM recoil spring guide and should come with a glass bedded oversize wooden stock.  Not sure if a true NM has the double lugged receiver.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
At that price it is likely a Springfield Armory Loaded model.  At $1,500 that would be a good deal for even a standard M1A, especially in the current market.

As far as expectations, depends on what you want it to do.  If you want a sub-MOA scoped rifle, you might be chasing your dream and putting in a lot of work handloading.  If you want Minute of Man, then you will be fine.

Beware of any ammo labeled "Light Magnum".  M80 ball for the M14 is 150 grain at 2,800 fps.  You should be okay with 168 grain match ammo, but anything heavier can be sketchy.

Most shooters will recommend that you do not disassemble the rifle frequently.  Most cleaning can be done with a pull through kit, such as an OTIS.  That's what I prefer.  

Search for the "tilt-test" videos from tonyben on YouTube.  He also has a series on complete disassembly and lubrication.  Grease what needs grease, oil everything else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't want it, please message me and let me know, because I'll buy it over the phone and have it shipped to my FFL, I am not joking one bit.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a wealth of knowledge on the following forums: #1 and #2
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've always wanted one. I know nothing about them.

Congratulations!

Go here > http://www.m14.ca/ and scroll down to the M14 reference section.

One thing you should know is that these rifles are addictive.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Get it. At that price, you'd be crazy not too. I bought my loaded M1A back in '01, and never looked back. You're gonna regret it, if you let it slip by!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]
They are a great rifle. I shot an accurized M-14 type (armscor) in competition for 10 years. They require a little more TLC than an AR. For optimal accuracy you will want to bed the action, unitize the gas cylinder, ream the flash suppresor and have the trigger smoothed out by somebody who knows what they're doing. I still have one but personally if I were looking for a 308 today I think I'd go for an AR type. They run better out of the box and parts are cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
The M1A is next on my purchase list......  do want badly
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's a wealth of knowledge on the following forums: #1 and #2

What he said +1 and

There are a number of scope mounting options, bipods etc. if you wish to go that route.

Enjoy it,  they are a lot of fun...

Regard, Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top