Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2011 2:43:32 PM EDT
First time trying the Fiebings leather dye. Turned out pretty good; I'm finally happy with it; this was the 3rd or 4th time I stripped it down since it came on my SG Special years ago.

I swapped stocks between my SG Special and my SA SG to make my Special correct. I've been using my SA SG in matches anyways.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty dang good......And+ 10000000000000000000000000 for a garand I love those things, finally got one a couple years ago and man I should have gotten one many many years ago.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks pretty dang good......And+ 10000000000000000000000000 for a garand I love those things, finally got one a couple years ago and man I should have gotten one many many years ago.

Thanks. I just love the Garand! I have 3 of them now. I shoot service rifle matches with my AR, but started shooting them with the Garand this year and absolutely love it! I haven't shot my AR in a match since May.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You did a beautiful job !!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice! I've always wondered why the Garand has that extra sling swivel near the gas block. Is it only used during formal formations?
I don't even remember seeing it being used in old WWII pics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very nice! I've always wondered why the Garand has that extra sling swivel near the gas block. Is it only used during formal formations?

Stacking swivel to make a three gun stand  while on bivouac.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhhhh,ok. Now I get it. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhhhh,ok. Now I get it. Thank you very much.

Stacking swivel. I have 3, so I'll have to stack them and take some pictures some day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks really good.  I have an SA Special model with the new CMP stock, and I've been looking at refinish jobs trying to decide what to do.  I need to read up on this method a bit more.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I got my Garand from DCM in 1989 and left the stock as is, it was marked up from the way they stacked the Garands on pallets but to me it adds character.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#10]
beautiful.  That's the red brown tone I always try to target.  

Very nice job!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got my Garand from DCM in 1989 and left the stock as is, it was marked up from the way they stacked the Garands on pallets but to me it adds character.

That's what I do with my other stocks, but this was a new manufacture stock.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I just love the Garand! I have 3 of them now. I shoot service rifle matches with my AR, but started shooting them with the Garand this year and absolutely love it! I haven't shot my AR in a match since May.

I havnet shot my AR much after I got a Garand and a M1A. I have to admit I just love shooting the Garand as the AR feels like a bb gun after I am done on the Garand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I havnet shot my AR much after I got a Garand and a M1A. I have to admit I just love shooting the Garand as the AR feels like a bb gun after I am done on the Garand.

I hear that. I figure it this way, the better I get with the Garand, the easier it'll be to be good with the AR with little to no re-coil.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear that. I figure it this way, the better I get with the Garand, the easier it'll be to be good with the AR with little to no re-coil.

It was shocking - SHOCKING I tell you! - when I first shot my Garand and felt the recoil.  I've shot 30-06 bolt guns, and the M1 is so smooth and easy to control compared to those.  It's heavy, shoots rounds with a bit less pressure, and has a gas system.  Makes for a very controllable rifle.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Stock looks Great !!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks terrific. Very authentic. Is there a specific shade of Feibings that you used? How many coats? Briefly describe the application, please.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:48:45 AM EDT
[#17]
OUTSTANDING!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks terrific. Very authentic. Is there a specific shade of Feibings that you used? How many coats? Briefly describe the application, please.

I used acetone and a green scrub pad to strip the finish. Then I wiped it down with denatured alcohol and let it dry. I used fiebings dark brown alcohol based leather dye and wiped the stock down and let it dry for a few hours. Re-apply again to make sure everything is even. I used 0000 steel wool to wipe down the stock and lighten up the finish. I then used 3-4 coats of pure tung oil, wiping off the excess after 30 minutes and allowing to dry for atleast 3-6 hours. The final coat I allowed to dry for 24 hours. I used the steel wool in between each tung oil application. Finally, I used 3 coats of Tom's 1/3 mix paste wax following the instructions.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a fine looking rifle.  Very well done.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Got to love those M1 Garands!  I've got an HRA Correct Grade that I love.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
What's that on your op rod handle?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's that on your op rod handle?

It's a rubber vacuum line cap(automotive). I put them on my Garands to keep them from scratching the rifles next to them when they're in the safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top