Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2011 5:56:15 PM EDT
I know nothing about WW2 era firearms (save the 1911) and I saw an add on the local cork-board that looked like a steal.

30 M1 Carbine - Synth stock - Spare mags - works great - purchased through DCM - rear sight covers mfg. mfg. unknown. - S/N 48280XX - $250

Should I jump on it, or let it go? I figure for that price, I can at least buy it and sell it for a profit. But then again, I know nothing about them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go for it. What MFG is it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That serial number should be from Quality Hardware's last assigned block. But I am no expert.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That serial number should be from Quality Hardware's last assigned block. But I am no expert.

That appears to be correct. Are they any good?

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
For $250 I would probably buy it if it looked good. Stick a .30 caliber carbine round in the muzzle. If it does not go all the way down to the brass it may be a very good buy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Well look at the overall condition.   if it looks serviceable, non rusted in chamber and barrel, has rifling (they were always shallow rifled) I say for it at that price.  

I'd shy away from the commercial clones like plainfield, iver johnson, etc.  They tend to be junk or even dangerous.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Even if the barrel was bad, if it is a USGI Carbine, I would be jumping all over it.  One can get new made barrels, and have it installed for un $300.  So, one would have a USGI M1 Carbine for under $600, and that is cheaper than the going rate right now for USGI Carbines.  Snap it up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I am seeing them go for much more. If its all USGI I would get it at that price with no hesitation at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy it.  Unless it has been used for a boat anchor for the past 20+ years, you'll be way ahead.  Great little rifles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Another person I know who saw the ad went and looked at it. He said it was "sporterized" and a whole mess of changes have been made to it. He is heavy into CMP and wanted to pick it up, but he had no way of telling all the changes that were made to it. He didn't buy it. He knows far more than I so I will probably pass on it as well.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
still worth the $$$ for a parts rifle
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
still worth the $$$ for a parts rifle

Heck, at $250 it's worth it just so you can take pics and post them on the CMP forum. If it's as tricked out as it sounds, that should be fun
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another person I know who saw the ad went and looked at it. He said it was "sporterized" and a whole mess of changes have been made to it. He is heavy into CMP and wanted to pick it up, but he had no way of telling all the changes that were made to it. He didn't buy it. He knows far more than I so I will probably pass on it as well.

Thanks for all the input guys.

If it was a WW2 Carbine it still might be worth the bucks to buy it.  If it has been blued, it is fairly easy to bead blast and parkerise.  Stocks can be changed, or stripped of shiney finishes.  Hardest part would be fixing any holes drilled in the receiver.  But even that is fixable giving a little time and effort.  With USGI M1 Carbines climbing in price, it might be worth it to get and fix it up.  Especially if it is one of the rarer makers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys, I have an Inland #428XXX.  Is this a very early GM Carbine?  According to the posted list?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top