Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2011 10:25:08 PM EDT
I had the hardest time getting that stupid roll pin out
After a good while of careful hammering and a few punches later I got it out and put the #18 on it...
Nothing as frustrating as a problem like that messing with a new rifle
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a 3/32 drill bit tap it through with the flat end works like dream no problems for me put my #18 last night too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That's exactly what I started out doing, but the hole must not have been drilled all the way through as it wedged the bit in and broke off...
So had to ride into town and buy some steel punches to hammer the bit back out...

I may have had a heart attack at some point during the ordeal but I'm not sure
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh no, I'm about to take mine off as well, hopefully I'm not going to end up with heart problems

ETA: Reporting back... Using a small tap hammer, I was able to drive out the roll pin but then the 3/32" drillbit was stuck in it's place. I drove the 3/32" bit back out with a smaller size bit held by mini vise-grips. Whew! No breakage. I'm planning to install an Arms 18 & possibly an Accupoint, not certain about that yet though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you hitting it from under the bolt? Flip it upside down. move the bolt forward, a few taps on mine and it was out.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you hitting it from under the bolt? Flip it upside down. move the bolt forward, a few taps on mine and it was out.

I drove my rollpin out from top to bottom and then drove the stuck 3/32" drill bit out from bottom to top.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a photo tutorial on the proper removal procedure for the stripper clip guide

Stripper Clip Guide Removal
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The proper way is to remove it from the underside, and make sure you remove the guide the proper direction too.

When all else fails use the proper tools, and the job goes much smoother
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The proper way is to remove it from the underside, and make sure you remove the guide the proper direction too.

This is sound advise ^^^^
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is a photo tutorial on the proper removal procedure for the stripper clip guide

Stripper Clip Guide Removal

Exactly what I did and it only took a few taps. If you want to be safe and it's an older m1a, put a few drops of Kroil oil in it, let it sit overnight and it will be very easy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1

Do NOT pay attention to the direction with the ARMS #18 because they say to drive the pin out from the top... The hole is slightly smaller on the underneath than on top, and a 3/32 pin will get stuck

Hope this will save some more people headaches if they read this thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top