Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2010 2:34:45 PM EDT
I've been looking at all the various scope mounts available for the M14 rifle. It's hard to decide on a particular model, and tough to know which mount works and fits best. So, I'd thought I'd present the question here.

I like the Sadlak mounts, but it may not mount the rail as low as an ARMS #18. The ARMS #18 seems to have the lowest rail, but is it so low that it interferes with the ejection of cartridge cases? The Leapers is available at a good price, but how rigid and sturdy is it?

Is there any model to stay away from? Or a mount that fits better than another?

I'll be fitting the scope mount to my Polytech M14s. While I won't be jumping out of aircraft with the set up, I would like the mount to be durable, and hold zero well.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
We need a sticky on this subject. I run a sadlak without issue. I would stay away from anything Leapers or SA. Smith and arms are two other decent choices. And i have heard good things about the Badger mounts
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We need a sticky on this subject.

Amen.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sadlak here too.

MPD165
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Old ARMS #18
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I run a Bassett low standard mount. I have to remove the rear sight assembly  because the eyepiece won't fit between the ears even with the apperture removed.
I run a 50MM objective and with medium rings it just touches the handguard, so I had to file a little off the handguard for clearance.
The good thing about this setup though is that I don't need a cheek riser. I don't have ejection issues. The mount doesn't shoot loose and removal/reinstallation is a breeze.
If I went with a picatinny version things would be easier on me. I would not have to remove the rear sight or clear material off the handguard but I would need a cheek riser for proper cheek weld.
If you get the right version, you can use the iron sights too.

It doesn't really bother me to have to remove my rear sights. It takes me less than 5 minutes to remove the scope and reinstall the irons back to known good zero.

My next scoped M14 might just be a LRB M25 or a Sadlak Airborne mount.

Here's what she looks like...

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#6]
McCann
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the newer Bassett Machine low Picatinny Rail Scope Mount.
http://www.bassettmachine.com/

It fits perfectly on my Springfield M1A, holds it's zero when removed
and reinstalled, and doesn't shoot loose.

It has a simple one screw attachment point, so you don't have to
remove the stripper clip guide on the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#8]
On a related note..... How the heck does one remove the handguard on an M1A that has an ARMS #18 mount without having to remove the mount first?

That little screw that helps support the front of the mount is in the way of the handguard!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On a related note..... How the heck does one remove the handguard on an M1A that has an ARMS #18 mount without having to remove the mount first?

That little screw that helps support the front of the mount is in the way of the handguard!

One way is to take off the gas plug, unscrew the gas lock and slide the gas cylinder forward. This will allow you to slide the handguard forward and off the barrel. You don't need to remove the flash suppressor or anything, just slide the gas cylinder forward enough and let it hang there until you are ready to reseat it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Replace the screw with a Allen screw.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We need a sticky on this subject. I run a sadlak without issue. I would stay away from anything Leapers or SA. Smith and arms are two other decent choices. And i have heard good things about the Badger mounts

I've got all three.  Sadlak, Smith, and an old and new style ARMS.  I also have an Ultimak on a SOCOM.  I've used the SA mount before and I would not buy another one.  Of the three I have, I like the Sadlak the best.  The mount is really solid.  ARMS old-style second, ARMS new third, and Smith fourth.  That's just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm currently running a Troy Battle Rail on my M1A.  Before that, I had an ARMS18 mount.  With just the mount,  I had no problems with stove pipes.  After I threw the ACOG on top, I'd have about a 10 percent rate of stove piping, but it was because the brass was hitting the ACOG mount, not the ARMS18 mount.  Its a good mount IMO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot my M1A today. I got the promo from a couple years ago, get an M1A, sent in $250 bucks and get a knife, mount, and scope.

Well my M1A shot off to right, the left, all over the place. The scope was in mounted in the rings SA sent me, and the rear was loose.

As well as the mounts, what rings do you use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:35:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I shot my M1A today. I got the promo from a couple years ago, get an M1A, sent in $250 bucks and get a knife, mount, and scope.

Well my M1A shot off to right, the left, all over the place. The scope was in mounted in the rings SA sent me, and the rear was loose.

As well as the mounts, what rings do you use.

Good point many people spend big bucks on a mount and than scimp on rings. Bad move. I use TPS low rings. 1" steel. And I run a Leupold 3X9
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:36:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Replace the screw with a Allen screw.

I'll be trying that....
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm running the ARMS #18 mount on mine (even though currently I don't have the optics for it yet) and I've had absolutely no problems with it yet. Sits low enough to use the irons, but not one ejection problem yet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Had an ARMS #18......sold it.......wish I didn't.

Currently using a Sadlak mount and happy with it.  Regardless which mount you choose, find a good cheek riser/pad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw a Millett mount {T6} and rings, are they any good?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm running the ARMS #18 mount on mine (even though currently I don't have the optics for it yet) and I've had absolutely no problems with it yet. Sits low enough to use the irons, but not one ejection problem yet.

Desert Fox; That was one concern I had with the ARMS # 18 mount, ejection issues. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rings and optics are a piece of cake once the mount is secured.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm running a Smith mount with Badger rings; it's (very nearly) grunt-proof.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Running an old Armscorp mount on my Armscorp rifle.  Rock steady
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top