Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 1:19:10 PM EDT
Anybody have any experience with the Leatherwood M1A mount? Would anybody recomend it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I put one on my loaded M1A; it held zero and worked well for me.  But reading the reviews on midway usa it looks like not everyone was so lucky.
However I suspect some folks over tightened their windage screws and stripped them, so be careful of this if you decide to get one.  Follow the directions closely to get  the mount aligned as much as possible, then use loktite on all the main screws.
I found the large screw going in the side of the receiver was slightly too long and contacted the bolt on the inside(might not happen with all rifles). I ground it to be flush and it never gave a problem.

I like that the mount sits low and you can use the irons over the top of it, but a disadvantage of this is that I was unable to remove the bolt with the mount in place.  I cleaned and lubricated the bolt as best I could without removing it. This didn't bother me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the Leatherwood ART-II scope and mounts when they were new ( 1980s) . While they are still good , I think they are obsolete . I use the ARMS mount , and Smith Enterprises 'Navy' mount , with Leupold Mark 4s. I think there are few others that are good , as well . The M1913 Picatinny-rail platform is a lot more versatile than the Weaver rail that Leatherwood used ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top