Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2010 9:48:46 AM EDT
ok, I've owned a Springfield M1A for a little while now.  I love the gun, but I have an obsession to know how the gun works.  I believe I understand just how the semi-auto rifle works, but I can't find anything online as to how the full auto selector switch works.  I was wondering if someone could school me on how it works?

I believe the connector arm works as an auto/safety sear which doesn't trigger the mechanism until the bolt is in the firing position.  However, other then that, assuming that is correct, I have no earthly idea how it works.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
This is an outstanding reference book that I personally believe all M1A/ M14 owners should have.

The Last Steel Warrior: U.S. M14 Rifle by Frank Iannamico (Paperback - 2005)
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually borrowed this book from a friend.  Can you point me to the page(s)?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure if I have the nomenclature correct,

the connecting rod  is 'hit' buy the op rod, when the round is chambered,
it trips the auto sear,
which in turn trips the sear on the trigger,, releasing the hammer,

self load and repeat,

when you rotate the 'switch' it disconnects the auto sear, (the 'switch is spring loaded)

hth
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
And if you were thinking of just adding a few parts to an M1A receiver and converting your rifle to full auto selective fire, fuggitaboutit.
The M1A receiver is machined differently enough that the connector assembly will not assemble to the receiver.

Because of the way they designed and machine the rail area, should one try to machine out the areas on an M1A receiver to accept the connector assembly, that person will soon find out that the operating rod will not stay in the rail track when the weapon cycles.
If they try to reheat treat the newly remachined receiver, they will find that it will warp itself into nonfunctional.

The full auto selective fire M14 was the most stupid idea the government designers incorporated into the design.
It is best left as a historical oddity because it serves no useful purpose.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The full auto selective fire M14 was the most stupid idea the government designers incorporated into the design.

+1

The cadets here tote M14s as their parade rifles, and each year I take a few to the range with the select fire parts reinstalled. It is pretty much the most entertaining range day we do- that damn thing is totally uncontrollable for about 95% of the shooters.  I only load a few rounds into the mag, and we have a "catcher" and two safeties there with them.  

First shot- near the target.  Second shot- overhead fire for suppression.  Third shot- shoot down that plane!    

I can control it reasonably well, since I've got a lot of time behind the trigger.  But even so, I have no confidence that full auto configuration does anything for me- I just don't think its controllable enough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Just call the ATF, they will tell you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just call the ATF, they will tell you everything you need to know.
HA HA!   You funny...

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

The cadets here tote M14s as their parade rifles, and each year I take a few to the range with the select fire parts reinstalled. It is pretty much the most entertaining range day we do- that damn thing is totally uncontrollable for about 95% of the shooters.  I only load a few rounds into the mag, and we have a "catcher" and two safeties there with them.  

First shot- near the target.  Second shot- overhead fire for suppression.  Third shot- shoot down that plane!    

I can control it reasonably well, since I've got a lot of time behind the trigger.  But even so, I have no confidence that full auto configuration does anything for me- I just don't think its controllable enough.

Dad watched as a guy at Knob Creek froze on the trigger and dumped a full mag trying to hold on to one. I think he was the only guy that did'nt dive for cover.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to add. In my experiance with full auto. It's trying NOT to fire full auto thats the trick. Just controlling the trigger and firing off two and three shot burst's on target. Now that can be difficult. If I had a real M14 the rifle would seldom have the fun switch flipped. Now I'm outta here before the ATF start's posting in here wanting to know why you want to know.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I rented one for shits and giggles.  I managed to keep the rounds in the target at about 50 feet but I can tell you it was not easy.  That is the last gun I would want out of the full auto's I have shot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just to add. In my experiance with full auto. It's trying NOT to fire full auto thats the trick. Just controlling the trigger and firing off two and three shot burst's on target. Now that can be difficult. If I had a real M14 the rifle would seldom have the fun switch flipped. Now I'm outta here before the ATF start's posting in here wanting to know why you want to know.....

Well, I know where 9 of them are-in a police department's arms room in case of SHTF. We're not the only ones planning for the eventuality.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got 2 M 14s.  One I've never fired.  The other I take out occasionaly to prove the point that it is a worthless piece of shiot on FA!
I never put more than 2 rds in the mag when I let someone shoot it.  1st rd on target, 2nd rd over the right shoulder - unless he was aiming at the silouettes right hip, then maby in the left shoulder.  A 3rd rd is ALWAYS several feet over the target.  I shoot a lot of FA weapons on a somewhat regular basis and I almost never keep the 3rd rd on the target.  I also rarely shoot that junker!  
The only way an M14 is good on FA is to lay the rifle over with the mag at the 9 o'clock position.  That lets the muzzle climb walk the fire across the target area.  This is only good if you have 5 or 6 guys spread out charging you.  
Sarge
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#13]
The M14 can be controlled in automatic.  Here's a picture of me shooting my select fire M1A in automatic at a Full Auto match in May 2003.  Two round bursts are the heat.

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/albums/civilian/0503_Las_Vegas_Full_Auto_Match_1.sized.jpg
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The M14 can be controlled in automatic.  Here's a picture of me shooting my select fire M1A in automatic at a Full Auto match in May 2003.  Two round bursts are the heat.

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/albums/civilian/0503_Las_Vegas_Full_Auto_Match_1.sized.jpg

The e2 stock makes a huge difference in FA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#15]
So why in the hell is the SCAR H full auto? Doesn't it weigh less than an M14?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So why in the hell is the SCAR H full auto? Doesn't it weigh less than an M14?

Well the SCAR H's recoil is more straight back, similar to an AR15. The issue with the M14 on auto is that there is a fulcrum point, right where your hand is operating the trigger, making recoil management more difficult.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The e2 stock makes a huge difference in FA.

Absolutely- and we should have mentioned that earlier.  If you want FA with an M14, put an E2 or similar stock on it if you can!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Didn't most M14s in the hands of troops have the selector lock installed for semi-auto only?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Didn't most M14s in the hands of troops have the selector lock installed for semi-auto only?

Yes, you are correct.  The intent was for a guy to have it with the selector as the automatic rifleman, basically the role we put the M249 into these days in the fire team.  But the standard troop was considered a rifleman and did not have the selector.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top