Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2010 8:04:54 AM EDT
I recently purchased an M1Garand at a gunshow.  Found out this week that the receiver is either late 1953 or early 54 and the barrel is 1953 with lots of ME.  The trigger group appears to be of 1940's manufacture and the stocks are vintage but without any remaining markings.  It shoots marginally well due to the ME wear but at least puts most rounds on paper which is not bad for a 57 year old military barrel.  Anyway, I have disassembled it and lubricated it with oil but am having trouble finding the Lubriplate grease recommended for it.  I used a bit of lightweight grease this first time but want to find the correct grease, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I got lubriplate from brownells for my m1a
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I use NAPA brand white lithium grease.  I think I paid maybe $3 for a tube of it.  Works fine and my M1 has not deteriorated into a pile of rust and splinters.

Have you cleaned the barrel well?  My CMP M1 barrel was *filthy*.  Breakfree Bore Cleaning Foam does a pretty good job along with a .30 cal nylon brush, a jag, and LOTS of patches soaked in Hoppes and Copper Killer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]
There were two greases used for the M1.
The first was Lubriplate, which is the yellow-white Lithium grease.  It's available from Brownell's and many hardware stores as Lubriplate 120-A.  
You can also buy basically the same grease as Lithium grease at any hardware, automotive, or Walmart store.

The second grease was Plasti-Lube, which is a brown grease.  You can buy Plasti-Lube from Champion's Choice.

Truth is, most any heat and water resistant grease will work perfectly.  I know several M1-A National Match shooters who buy cartridges or cans of Lithium or Moly-Lithium at Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to Auto parts store and buy a tube  of good quality wheel bearing grease. If it protects wheel bearing its overkill for a Garand. A tube will last a lifetime and is cheaper than so called high tech gun grease.
Grease points
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
NestorPR, if you will PM me your email address, I can email you a copy of Different's Guide to M14 Lubricants, which ought to work well for Garands too. As you could imagine, coming from Different, it's well-researched.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NestorPR, if you will PM me your email address, I can email you a copy of Different's Guide to M14 Lubricants, which ought to work well for Garands too. As you could imagine, coming from Different, it's well-researched.

The last update to my M14 lubricants guide is dated March 26, 2010.  It has four spreadsheets including one worksheet that compares about four dozen greases and oils.  If it's been awhile since you got one of these from me, the latest version has a lot more information.  If anyone wants one, just send me an e-mail request.  I delete your request upon reply and you will not get any spam from me.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go to Auto parts store and buy a tube  of good quality wheel bearing grease. If it protects wheel bearing its overkill for a Garand. A tube will last a lifetime and is cheaper than so called high tech gun grease.
Grease points

This is what I did.  Got a can of moly wheel bearing grease from an auto parts store.  Should last several lifetimes...heck, you can hand the grease and the rifle down to your children.

Jeff

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some white lithium grease made by panef. Is this  ok to use?  Says it lubs and protects all metal parts and resists heat. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
high temp wheel bearing grease at the auto parts store

1 pound for $3
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Any Grease is better than no grease!

After trying several expensive gun grade greases I have followed what the other posters suggest.
Plain old wheel bearing grease works fine for lubing a Garand or M14 type rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Scott Duff sells 2 oz jars of Plastilube in addition to good M1 Garand books.  A 2 oz jar should last several years for the average shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top