Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 2:49:11 PM EDT
I have a scout squad, and have run a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems.  I read that I need to replace the extractor, bolt, op rod, etc. with USGI parts to make it "reliable / robust."  

Is anyone running up some serious round counts with a newer Springfield M1A with no problems?  If I want a reliable / robust weapon, how critical is it to start switching out parts?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The ONLY piece I would look at would be the extractor.  The cast SAI ones are truely known to fail, along with the spring.  M14/M1 Garand piece would fix that cheap.  Everything else is typically good to go, and if a part is out of spec, that issue will raise it's head fairly quickly (within first 500rnds.).  Most of what you hear on the interweb is old news (e.g. old SAI bolts were crap  around the '80's I think), or folks who believe forged is the only way to go.  Basic upkeep like spring replacements and grease will keep your rifle running well for a looong time.  HTH
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The ONLY piece I would look at would be the extractor.  The cast SAI ones are truely known to fail, along with the spring.  M14/M1 Garand piece would fix that cheap.  Everything else is typically good to go, and if a part is out of spec, that issue will raise it's head fairly quickly (within first 500rnds.).  Most of what you hear on the interweb is old news (e.g. old SAI bolts were crap  around the '80's I think), or folks who believe forged is the only way to go.  Basic upkeep like spring replacements and grease will keep your rifle running well for a looong time.  HTH

Where's the most reputable source to buy a proper extractor?  I looked at Fulton, but it seems they're out of stock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I checked, Smith Enterprise and R A Parts had USGI M14 extractors.  You can also use a M1 Garand extractor as long as you don't fire M82 blank cartridges.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 2:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up a couple M1 extractors off ebay, but the seller is out. The only seller I could find that had them in stock was Numrich for $19+ each. They're getting scarce.

I replaced the extractor in my SA standard with a M1 extractor earlier this week. I was amazed at how much wear there was on SA's extractor after 600 or so rounds. It was actually scary. I'm planning on pulling the M1 extractor out after a couple hundred rounds to see how it's wearing. I'm keeping an eye out for a bolt just in case.

I was getting some failure to ejects (stove pipes) with the stock extractor, but so far, after about 100 rounds, I've not had one with the M1 extractor.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
i got a brand new SA M1A Standard, and have fired 800 rounds or DAG surplus from Aim with Absolutely no problems.

Keep your USGi parts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I read that I need to replace the extractor, bolt, op rod, etc. with USGI parts to make it "reliable / robust."  

Where did you read this?

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read that I need to replace the extractor, bolt, op rod, etc. with USGI parts to make it "reliable / robust."  

Where did you read this?

I read this in this forum and on m1tfl.  I don't have a link for you, but I've read this hit and miss over the last year or so.  I think I've gotten bogged down in reading threads about all of the USGI parts that people think they "need" to switch out.  After reading the above, it looks like the extractor is all I may truly need to worry about.   Now to find one.....

But my original question remains.......is anyone running one a LOT right out of the box with no problems?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a scout squad, and have run a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems.

Replace the extractor.  Continue mission.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a scout squad, and have run a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems.

If I run it until the original extractor fails, is there any significant danger of breaking something else?  I intend to order a new one ASAP, but I'm curious to know how crappy springfield extractors are.  Also, if they're really that bad, I wonder why Springfield doesn't start shipping it with a better one?  I wouldn't think it would change the price point much.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
900 round through my SA NM with no problems
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#11]
The extractor is the only problem I have consistantly heard of. Course there is always the " If it aint broke don't fix it rule". Dads scout has run flawless right ouit of the box. I bought some extractors just in case.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Roughly 1k rounds through my Springfield Standard M1A and no problems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks like there are a few running well out of the box.  Thank you for posting.

It makes sense that there should be quite a few success stories out there....Springfield has been pumping these out for a while and they're still going...

Maybe a lot of folks are more like me and just don't put a lot of rounds through their 308's.  I guess it is my most expensive bang stick to run.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine has had a few thousand down range and all is good with the parts SA put in it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I had FTE from a rough chamber and a bad extractor. Sent it back to SAI for a chamber polish and new extractor. The replacement extractor launched after a few hundred rounds. Broke two different SAI windage knob nuts.

I replaced the windage knob, extractor and bolt guts with USGI parts and haven't had any issues since. Well, except for the problem I'm having with the SAI elevation pinion so I'll replace it with USGI soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Thousands of rounds through my Scout.  Fast and slow fire.  Square range and the field ('yotes, Jack rabbits, misc. varmint in the Cali. high desert). Mil. Surplus to factory match/hunting rounds up to the 168gr. range consistantly, a few 175gr. also.  Even iced over in a nasty Colorado winter wind/snow she hasn't failed me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I run it until the original extractor fails, is there any significant danger of breaking something else?  Also, if they're really that bad, I wonder why Springfield doesn't start shipping it with a better one?  I wouldn't think it would change the price point much.

The commercial manufacture extractor installed in factory built M1A rifles is not a three-dimensional clone of its USGI counterpart.  I'm told by more than one M14 gunsmith/armorer (you would recognize the names but I don't have permission to disclose their names on this topic) that the commercial M1A extractor geometry does not meet the dimensions of the USGI drawing.  No matter who made your extractor(s), do a quick check to make sure the bottom of the stem does not protrude below the bottom side of the bolt.  Otherwise, it could dislodge itself from the bolt during the rifle cycle of operation.  

The public search query for checking acquisition costs has been taken down but the last time I checked it, 07/01/2009, the last USGI contract price for the M14 extractor was $35.14 each.  I don't know what year the last contract for M14 extractors was awarded but the cost in 2010 would likely be higher.  Numrich Gun Parts Corporation lists the unit price for a new blued "mil-spec" replacement M14 extractor at $15.40.  M14 type extractors have been manufactured in recent years by Shinsung Industrial Co. (Jeollabuk-do, Republic of Korea).  HTH

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I took my standard M1A to the range, sat down ant the 200 yard steel target lane and hit it with the first shot. I didn't even touch adjust the iron sights. That never happened with any of my AR15s.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a NM M1A bought new about 12 years ago. It now has a couple thousand rounds fired.
After about a thousand rounds the two stage trigger got very gritty. SA fixed it quickly at no charge.
The NM flash suppressor cracked from the slots to the muzzle. SA sent me a new one for free.
No further problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top