Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2010 8:15:21 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone ever used NP3 from ROBAR or even the new NP3 Plus on the complete bolt of their M1A?

I am seriously thinking about it. SRM
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The NP3 finish leaves a surface hardness of 48 to 51 HRC.  USGI M14 bolts are carburized to a surface hardness of 54 to 60 HRC.  M1A bolts are also carburized to similar hardness.  By applying a NP3 finish, the bolt surface hardness would become softer than it should be.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
How about on the gas cylinder/op rod of an M-1?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Why? If it ain't broke...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, when you take the garand, and cut it down to where the gas cylinder is just about flush with the rear handguard, wear tends to get a little extreme...

I was just wondering if NP3 coating on these parts would reduce stress, wear, and operating temperatures in a garand. Shortened or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]

It's a moving part that gets dirty.  ROBAR has a improved finish called NP3 Plus, but doesn't give the hardness.  Next payday I am sending my complete bolt off to be treated.  I may even get the whole rifle done in ROGUARD.  It depends on my money situation.  SRM

ROBAR IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEWEST INOVATION: NP3 PLUS! OFFERING ALL THE BENEFITS THAT NP3 IS FAMOUS FOR, PLUS GREATLY INCREASED CORRSION PROTECTION NP3 PLUS IS THE FINISH OF CHOICE FOR FIREARMS USED IN HOSTILE ENVIRONMENTS. NP3 PLUS NICKEL / TEFLON PROVIDES LUBRICITY, PROTECTION, EXTREME CORROSION PROTECTION AND A LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Does Robar recommend greasing a M14 bolt coated with NP3 or NP3 Plus when assembled to the rifle?  IOW, is it still prudent to grease the bolt, assuming normal operating conditions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top