Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2010 4:14:27 PM EDT
Should be here by 10:30 AM tomorrow.  My first Garand.

Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang PING
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool beans.  I'm debating on buying a Garand or another M14 style rifle.

Let's see some pics tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
When did you put your order in?

I just mailed an order in for a service grade SA today...I can hardly wait to get it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Congrats on your first purchase. I recently got mine and I'm still waiting for the snow to get off the shooting range so we can set up some targets and christen it.

Quoted:

I just mailed an order in for a service grade SA today...I can hardly wait to get it.

I had mailed mine in on Dec. 23, 2009 and received mine by Jan. 21, 2010

Link Posted: 2/22/2010 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on your first purchase. I recently got mine and I'm still waiting for the snow to get off the shooting range so we can set up some targets and christen it.

Quoted:

I had mailed mine in on Dec. 23, 2009 and received mine by Jan. 21, 2010

That's pretty good....

I sent off for mine on the 6th of this month....got the confirmation that they got the paperwork on the 8th, haven't heard a thing since....Wife said they cashed the check, so I'm guessing that's a good thing....

I'm guessing sometime in early March ??
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get ready for Garanditis.  It will not end with one.....  I have three, already.  In the span of 3 months...

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I understand BRD (and have been recently diagnosed with a mild case of it myself.)  The Black Rifle has so many options.  But Garanditis?  It is what it is what it is.

Oh well...maybe I'll understand it better when my SA Special gets delivered...

Now, if we could only get the gummint to release the M1A...
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I understand BRD (and have been recently diagnosed with a mild case of it myself.)  The Black Rifle has so many options.  But Garanditis?  It is what it is what it is.

Yes, because you'll want a WRA, H&R.... Maybe a correct grade, non shooter rifle... Or a CMP Special Grade.  Or maybe a derivative, like a Tanker.  

Carbines are even worse since there are 8 different manufacturers, and then add onto that the Bavarian returns.

CMP has made it an art form to take my money...

I also have BRD.  I had 5 ARs, but sold three of them to make room in the safe.   Kept my high end stuff and sold my budget guns...

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CMP will NEVER sell M1As.  What the gubment should do is end the China embargo and let me purchase a $350 Norinco....

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I did my web order on 1/29, paperwork was received on 2/8, shipped yesterday, arrived this AM at 10:30.

The SA Special for $895 - I can't remember the exact item number.  Looks like new.  Will add pics tonight if possible.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats...I sent my order in on the 11th..they recieved it the 16th and I got my DBU email on 2/22. Im thinking a couple more weeks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]

You are doomed.

Once you shoot it the urge for more becomes irresistible.

Pics, of course, will be mandatory.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
pics, where are they?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Congrats...I sent my order in on the 11th..they recieved it the 16th and I got my DBU email on 2/22. Im thinking a couple more weeks.

Just got the notice that my order was processed & ready to be shipped....no ship date as of yet....

I totally have Garanditis.......

it's stopping me from buying other stuff.....

I want to get a bayonette but I dont want to until I find out what I'm getting....I want it to match....

Anybody ever buy a bayonette from the CMP ?? It says they'll have em soon, but no price as of yet...

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Congrats..how long did it take??

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As posted above:

I did my web order on 1/29, paperwork was received on 2/8, shipped yesterday, arrived this AM at 10:30.

The SA Special for $895 - I can't remember the exact item number. Looks like new. Will add pics tonight if possible.

No pix yet sorry - working on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

mine took less than a month when i ordered my service grade SA. ordered around the first week of jan 2010 and got 30 days later

to bad BATFE isnt that proficient with tax stamps

and i agree with the post about the carbines. i got a service grade inland barvarian rural police.  last week. then sent in paper work today for a IBM racker and a National Postal Meter service grade. that makes 4 guns in under 60 days. lollol  plus i need to order the CMP Special Grade

when does it end. lollol
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Ordered a SA Special yesterday from the CMP. Can't wait for it to get here. Lately I have been building and rebuilding a few ARs.
I have had my C&R license for several years and never used it. Figured a rebuilt Garand was a good investment and shooter.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#18]
My order in mid-January only took three weeks until delivery (of two Service Grade SA's).  It seems to be pretty fast these days.  Wish I could afford to order again...an H&R and a Winchester, but taxes are coming due shortly too.  Hope they still have some goodies for sale later in the year.

dvo
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]
ZOMG !!!!!

My shipping notice came last night at 00:54 & they attempted to deliver it this morning but I'm at work for the next 24 hours !!!!!!!

WORST DAY & BEST DAY EVER ALL ROLLED INTO ONE !!!

I totally figured it wouldn't be here until at least the 4th.......Sent my paperwork in on the 6th, they received it on the 8th & I only got the "processing letter on the 22nd

I'm gonna be like a kid waitning for the ice cream truck sitting on the curb at 10:30 tomorrow !!!

Pics to follow......TOMORROW !!!

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

As posted above:

The SA Special for $895 - I can't remember the exact item number. Looks like new. Will add pics tonight if possible.

No pix yet sorry - working on it.

Still no pics ????

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ZOMG !!!!!

My shipping notice came last night at 00:54 & they attempted to deliver it this morning but I'm at work for the next 24 hours !!!!!!!

WORST DAY & BEST DAY EVER ALL ROLLED INTO ONE !!!

I totally figured it wouldn't be here until at least the 4th.......Sent my paperwork in on the 6th, they received it on the 8th & I only got the "processing letter on the 22nd

I'm gonna be like a kid waitning for the ice cream truck sitting on the curb at 10:30 tomorrow !!!

Pics to follow......TOMORROW !!!

AHHHHH that sucks

Did your order ever show up in the Estore? I have been checking the Estore dails=y and havent seen anything yet. I got my DBU email on the 22nd.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Just came 1/2 hour ago !!  Still in the box:

Just tossed the sling on:

Top view:

No cracks, very few dings...It's beautiful & I''m happy...... A little dry....gonna get some tung oil today !!

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
OK I FINALLY got some pictures.  SA Special Grade from the CMP:

I just got the bayonet to fit.  The rifle is just perfect.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]
One of these days !!!! I truly would love to own a Garand
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#25]
very nice
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The SA Special for $895 - I can't remember the exact item number.  Looks like new.  Will add pics tonight if possible.

If anyone is interested in ordering one that would be a SA Service Grade Special (not to be confused with the CMP Special grade).

I applied many coats (~12) of BLO and the stock has turned out really nice.  You'll enjoy it but they really like company.  Good luck on your next order.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If anyone is interested in ordering one that would be a SA Service Grade Special (not to be confused with the CMP Special grade).

I applied many coats (~12) of BLO and the stock has turned out really nice.  You'll enjoy it but they really like company.  Good luck on your next order.

The SA SG Special # is RM1SASSP.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, haven't fired it. The metal is as advertised, collector grade, like new.

I'm in the process of redoing the CMP stock with Fairtrimmer's Military oX gunstock oil.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, haven't fired it. The metal is as advertised, collector grade, like new.

I'm in the process of redoing the CMP stock with Fairtrimmer's Military oX gunstock oil.

Wait, should I be oiling my stock?  What are the benefits?  Any downside?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep that's the number.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#30]
The replacement stocks they use will need to be oiled.  I personally like them stained as well.  Linseed oil and tung oil are appropriate.  I think tung oil is way easier to work with and gives a superior finish, especially if you're going to stain the stock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a question that comes up all the time. I've always used BLO on military style stocks because that's what they used back then. However, BLO never really dries and when it's hot out, you will always get BLO seeping out of the wood grain. Ask me how I know. Also, I like the smell of BLO on a walnut stock.

I began reading about Fairtrimmer's in the CMP forum. Many users really like the results and it dries and won't seep. So, when I got my SA SG Special and found that the wood was rather dry  and in need of something, I decided to give the Fairtrimmer's a shot.

I've seen many pics of M1 stocks and others refinished using Fairtrimmer's and they really look good.

Shuff's Parkerizing uses Fairtrimmer's on all their stocks that they supply with their rifles.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a question that comes up all the time. I've always used BLO on military style stocks because that's what they used back then. However, BLO never really dries and when it's hot out, you will always get BLO seeping out of the wood grain. Ask me how I know. Also, I like the smell of BLO on a walnut stock.

I began reading about Fairtrimmer's in the CMP forum. Many users really like the results and it dries and won't seep. So, when I got my SA SG Special and found that the wood was rather dry  and in need of something, I decided to give the Fairtrimmer's a shot.

I've seen many pics of M1 stocks and others refinished using Fairtrimmer's and they really look good.

Shuff's Parkerizing uses Fairtrimmer's on all their stocks that they supply with their rifles.

Thanks man - that sounds like the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairtrimmer's

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#34]
nice
beautiful bayo too
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairtrimmer's

To those that have used the Fairtrimmers, how many coats have you been applying?  I have applied 3 coates and my stock still looks a little dry.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairtrimmer's

THanks for the link i jst ordere some for my  cmp stock i ordered.   thanks ken
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I've not experienced the BLO seeping from a stock (and it gets plenty hot in NC).

Here's what I do:
Apply a light coat (hand rubbed)
Allow to sit for ~30 minutes
Wipe stock w/clean rag until excess oil is gone
Wait 24 hours to apply subsequent coats

I put 1 coat on a day for a week (7 coats), 1 coat on a week for a month (4 more), now once a month for a year (1 so far).

I'll take a picture tomorrow since we'll have sun again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#38]
That is a beautiful rifle. Congrats on a fine score.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Me too.    (My second Garand, 1st is looooong gone)

It was much faster than advertised.  3 weeks, I think.

My tomorrow will be 3/10.  I am calling in stupid (hookey, sick, etc.) for the event.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top