Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2010 7:21:57 AM EDT
Ok, so last time I took my Garand out to the range, it started ejecting the clips after 3 or 4 rounds. Not sure why it's doing this. I'm not really sure where to start with this. Possibly a worn clip latch? Any help would be awesome!
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
In on this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look first at the clip latch spring.  A new one measures 5/8" long.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#4]
This turns up fairly often on the M1 rifle.  These rifles are aging and usually well used and things need replacement.

A fast test to determine the cause is to stretch the clip latch spring and test fire.  If this corrects the problem, immediately replace the spring, since stretching it ruins the spring and it quickly fails.
Buy a new clip latch spring from Fulton Armory or Orion 7.

If this fails to correct the problem, replace the clip latch itself and possibly the bullet guide.

Most common cause: Weak clip latch spring.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the clip pops out randomly, the clip latch sping may be the cause.  If the clip pops early after the same rounds fired every time, the timing is off and you need a new bullet guide.

Hmmm, well I haven't shot it in a long while. I'm in Iraq right now and wanted to know what I could do to fix it. I'm pretty sure it was after the 4th round that it would eject the clip. So I'm guessing I should probably replace the bullet guide then. I love shooting that thing, want to get it fixed as soon as I get back so I can go shoot it with the family. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can find somebody with a timing block this will help check the timing.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12571/Product/M_1_GARAND_BOLT_TIMING_BLOCK

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Scroll down to fig20 and it talks about the timing

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/garand762proj/index.asp
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
A clip latch spring costs about $5

give that a try, before going nuts on timing, this is a common problem with CMP garands.

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
You might want to keep this............

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/garand/garand-troubleshooting.html

Look up the section on "Premature Cartridge Clip Ejection."

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I had this exact same problem my CMP M1 except my clip tried to eject after 5 rounds.  I bought a new heavy duty clip latch spring from Fulton Armory and never have not had problem since.
Dan
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
my Garand did the same thing. When I got the new spring , it was twice as long as the collaspsed one. Never had a lick of trouble after I installed the new one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top