Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2009 12:51:54 PM EDT
Ran a search, but I couldn't find anything.  I know there are people out there with these sights/sight bases.  Does anyone know the size of the GLFS in relation to the size of a NM front sight post?  Can anyone recommend the hooded vs. the sight base?  

for reference, I have an 18" SAI with an Ultimak. I've got a Burris 200264 (3-12x/Ballistic Plex/Illuminated Reticle) in route from OpticsPlanet.  I'll be mounting the Burris in a set of Warne QD Mediums in a Scout configuration. I'm planning on eventually acquiring a .30 cal AAC silencer for use with either of my AR or M14.

On the one hand, I'm considering getting the GLFS/B instead of the hooded sight.  My thought is that the NM sight is probably smaller (the whole unit) as opposed to the hooded sight and cause less of a shadow in the scope.

On the other hand, the hooded sight would theoretically allow for quicker target acquisition if the scope failed for some reason.

So... give me opinions and any experiences you've got.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The hooded GLFS is very fast and I think the post is the same width or slightly narrower than the narrowest NM front sight.

If you are more accustomed to the standard M14 front sight just run SEI's GLFS-D-18 with a NM front sight.
The "D" also allows you to run SEI's M14 Tritium Bar Combat Sight. I have this combo on one of my MK14 SEI rifles.

I hope that helped.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a hooded GLFS on my 18" BUSH rifle now.

You need the 18-D NAVY height GLFS previously recommended if you choose to install a NM front sight as it will allow the sights to properly regulate on the shorter rifles.

The hooded front sight is actually designed to be used with any barrel length but the trade off is the regulation of the rear sight will cause it to be set lower in the sight base than normal at shorter ranges when used with shorter barrelled rifles.

Since I decided to only use the iron sights at ranges of 25-300 meters maximum and have calibrated and marked my rear sight elevation drum for those ranges I don't find this to be a disadvantage.
The easiest way to do this is to battlesight your irons at 300 meters and leave the drum set for this distance if you have the range to do so, if not set you sight to hit 2" high point of aim point of impact at 100 meters.
You will gain center mass hits from 25 to 300 meters with this setting.
You should always adjust your windage setting at 25 meters first.
If you want to regulate the iron sights to the full range of elevation adjustment, then the NAVY height Gas Lock Front Sight with a NM front sight is the way to go.

Unless you use rings that place the scoipe extremely low on the the rails or use a acope with an extremely large objective lens, you will not see the front sight in the scopes field of view regardless of the magnification setting of the scope or the type of GLFS you choose. HTH
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Both helped!

Milo, are you saying that with the Hooded version you can't adjust the rear sight elevation for 300m plus shooting? That really "shouldn't" matter because I'll have the scope for that.

H2O, that's what I'm leaning toward. I also like the way it looks. I've just got a couple NM sights sitting around.  Price is the same, so I think I'll probably go with the hooded.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You can indeed set the elevation for 300+ shooting, the ranging marks on the elevation drum will not align though, you will have to mark your range settings on the drum once realized.
It is the shorter distances that will give you problems because the hooded front sight sits lower than optimum with the shorter barrels and the short rifles tend to shoot high at shorter ranges.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Roger that Milo!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can indeed set the elevation for 300+ shooting, the ranging marks on the elevation drum will not align though, you will have to mark your range settings on the drum once realized.
It is the shorter distances that will give you problems because the hooded front sight sits lower than optimum with the shorter barrels and the short rifles tend to shoot high at shorter ranges.

Huh? You can adjust the height with the hooded one, and the dovetail is 2 seperate models for short or standard length, so you can use standard front sight posts on both.

With my hooded gas locked rifle I adjusted the drum for my 200 M zero and each mark now lines up perfectly. I have shot the rifle with irons out to 600 meters and my marks are right in line for the 200, 300, 400 500, and 600. Farther than that and I can't tell you (yet).
Point being you have to "calibrate" your elevation drum after you zero, and you will be good 2 go
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can adjust the height with the hooded one, and the dovetail is 2 separate models for short or standard length, so you can use standard front sight posts on both.

Correct!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody mind telling me how I can adjust it?
I thought the post was screw adjustable for height and locked with a Hex screw but could not find any size Allen that fits the "Hex screw" and the more I got to looking at it, the more the post appears to be held in place with a roll pin.

I had the standard height GLFS on my rifle to begin with using a tall tritium front sight from XS Sight Systems and it was spot on.
I haven't had the same luck with the hooded front sight but I do like the sight picture it affords.

UPDATE:
I went and messed around with the rifle a bit tonight.
I was able to get the two lock screws out with a brand new 1/16" Allen wrench and a touch of Kroil Oil, apparently the screws were wallowed out a bit when they were installed.
The post is fused into the sight tower but good, lots of crusty stuff in there.

I need to know if the post is screwed in or is it pressure fit?

If this works, I am beginning to like the hooded sight more and more!
TIA.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
On the hooded sight the post should move up and down once the screws are backed off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On the hooded sight the post should move up and down once the screws are backed off.

What he said, careful though a little dab'll do ya
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Post is still frozen and I don't want to mar it up by getting careless.
Too many irons in the fire to devote a whole lot of attention to it right now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
So, how do you adjust the front sight when/if it's offline?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In my case and should I ever get the sight post to move, I know the adjustments from my other sight set up.
I will measure the old sight from the centerline of the barrel through hole to the top of the sight and adjust the hooded sight post to the same dimensions, then adjust the rear sight to the old elevation marks.

As for dovetail front sights, you adjust the front and rear sights to the mechanical centerline of the weapon for windage.
You begin your windage adjustments at 25 meters and adjust the front sight in the dovetail first, I use three shot groups to make sure I am not pulling the shot before making any adjustments..

For my hooded front sight which cannot be adjusted, windage was obtained with two clicks left.
This won't change with the elevation adjustments I hope and plan to make. HTH
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my case and should I ever get the sight post to move, I know the adjustments from my other sight set up.
I will measure the old sight from the centerline of the barrel through hole to the top of the sight and adjust the hooded sight post to the same dimensions, then adjust the rear sight to the old elevation marks.

As for dovetail front sights, you adjust the front and rear sights to the mechanical centerline of the weapon for windage.
You begin your windage adjustments at 25 meters and adjust the front sight in the dovetail first, I use three shot groups to make sure I am not pulling the shot before making any adjustments..

For my hooded front sight which cannot be adjusted, windage was obtained with two clicks left.
This won't change with the elevation adjustments I hope and plan to make. HTH

Sounds like the hooded version cannot be adjusted, you just have to adjust windage to compensate if something is off.

I'm leaning more and more toward the dovetail. Even though I think the hooded LOOKS better and would be more beneficial for WHAT I would is it for.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
As counterintuitive as it may seem i'm going the opposite way,non hooded NM rear,NM front on a GLFSB,Ultimak with Aimpoint T-1.Up close and urban type settings the speed of the Aimpoint is tops as well as being great for the shadowy darker areas and backgrounds that will make it difficult to pick up irons quickly.For longer shots i'll likely have a little more time to engage and I have every confidence in scoring solid hits with irons out to 500 yds.Not saying it's the way it should be done,just the way i'm doing it.I would build it the same for hunting and for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I am sure the hooded front sight can be adjusted, Make sure you soak yours in penetrating oil and ensure everything will move freely before you install it.
When I bought mine I was under the impression it was adjustable.
When I did a quick look over it didn't appear to be adjustable I installed it and adjusted everything under the impression the hooded sight was fixed and preset from the manufacturer.
I didn't do that simple detail inspection step with mine and it has been on the rifle and used for almost five months, this is why I am having difficulty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I ended up going with the Hooded GLFS.  

Apparently there IS a different hooded sight for the 22" and the 18".

At least when I called they acted like there was a difference (the ladies asked a couple times if it was an 18" barrel).

Thanks for all the info guys!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
When you get your sight, let us know what the part number is if it is different please.
SEI may press fit the sight post in at a different height for 18" barrels, because let me tell you, mine has been a doozy to get the screws out and the post does not want to move.
I did not specify rifle type when I ordered mine, I just gave them the part number. TIA

SOMEBODY produces a hooded tritium element dovetail sight that is used on the NAVY rifles, If I can figure out who makes this and whether it is available on the commercial market I will order one and reinstall my dovetail Gas Lock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#19]
will do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top