Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2009 3:13:42 AM EDT
Since I can't seem to find ammo from the CMP, I bought some Prvi Partizan M2(from the gunshow) in hopes that I might be able to use it with my M1 Garand.

After a quick google search, it seems that their are mixed opinions about the safeness of using this ammo in a Garand.  Mainly to do with port pressure, which could result in a bent op-rod or cracked rear receiver.

So, does anyone have any experience with this ammo?  Should I buy the schuster adjustable gas plug?

I haven't been able to find ammo besides that really expensive federal stuff.   It's killing me since I haven't been able to shoot this thing yet.

Eventually I plan on reloading for it, but I haven't been able to find the right primers. #34's
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since I can't seem to find ammo from the CMP, I bought some Prvi Partizan M2(from the gunshow) in hopes that I might be able to use it with my M1 Garand.

After a quick google search, it seems that their are mixed opinions about the safeness of using this ammo in a Garand.  Mainly to do with port pressure, which could result in a bent op-rod or cracked rear receiver.

So, does anyone have any experience with this ammo?  Should I buy the schuster adjustable gas plug?

I haven't been able to find ammo besides that really expensive federal stuff.   It's killing me since I haven't been able to shoot this thing yet.

Eventually I plan on reloading for it, but I haven't been able to find the right primers. #34's

If there's doubt, the gap plug is a lot less expensive than an op rod or receiver.

Think of it as cheep insurance.

You might not get bit, but if you do, it's going to result in strong localized pains in the lower rear abdominal region.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont use it without adjustable gas screw
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
While I've got a decent stock of HXP on hand, I've bought Schuster plugs for all of my Garands in preparation for the inevitable.

Don't shoot anything other than HXP without one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Coles used to sell this ammo at a good price.  Some friends and I bought about 3,000 rounds. Every single round was fired in Garands. I wish I had a truck load of it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
So a buddy of mine wasn't concerned with this ammo, and said he'd use his garand as a test case for it.  We shot it over the Chronograph and it was going pretty consistently at 1640ft/s.  I really don't see how their could be any issues since the velocity isn't showing it as being hot at all.

I had fun blasting a 12" steel plate at 120yds.  Using the "thumb" cheekweld with a sling in prone kinda felt like I was punching myself in the face.  Would have been nice if I could have adjusted his sling for myself better.  Actually I really liked shooting free recoil off a pack.

I dunno why they didn't put a cup into/around the rear peep on the Garand.  It would have cut down on the glare around the edge of the peep.  Also might give it better focus on target.  Still I think I might get a NM front sight blade.

It sure was fun to shoot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top