Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:43:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I really do not have any idea. It depends a lot on the kind of powder used. The Garand was designed to use a powder with a specific burn rate to get the pressure curve just right to run the action. Most commercial ammo does not use the proper powder and issues arise because of that. I stick with surplus M2 ball ammo in my Garands. If you really want to be able to use just about any .30-06 ammo in your Garand I recommend a adjustable gas nut like a Schuster. It allows you to customize your gas system for pretty much any ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
of course it's ok ..........
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot plenty of the older version tagged under HANSEN and it was GTG.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
without an adjustable gas plug?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
No not without adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Try contacting the mfn (speak to a tech) and ask if the powder that they used is within the "safe, burn rate range" for use in a Garand?

If the tech says, "What are you talking about?"

IMHO......"Forgetaboutit."

Aloha, Mark

PS...........note the importance of "burn rate" for an M1...........

Why the considerable difference between the Horny 7th Ed and Greek HXP?

The difference lies in the GAS PORT PRESSURE of the two loadings. The issue with the M1 rifle and ammo does not lie with max chamber pressure. The M1's action is as strong as any other out there and stronger than many commercially made bolt rifles.... BUT the M1 has a tender gas system. The pressure as the bullet passes the gas port is critical not only to function but to durability of the parts.

The gas port pressure is a function of bullet weight and powder burn rate. The main difference between the HXP and the Hornady loads are with the burn rate of the powder. The loads you see in the Hornady manual are calibrated to keep the gas port pressure below the design max..... even if that means a much lower than normal muzzle velocity for the bullet. It just means that those powders are on the low end of the burn rate for the M1.

Only medium burn rate powders are suitable for the M1's gas system. These keep chamber pressure below max and keep the gas port pressure within the design range. Back in the 50's the techies of Springfield Armory (the REAL one) gave the following two "M1 Gas System Safe Load Rules" to civilian shooters who were just being allowed access to the M1 rifle for Highpower competition:

1) NEVER shoot bullets HEAVIER than 180 grains
2) NEVER shoot powder that is SLOWER burn than IMR-4320

Violating either one of these two rules... i.e. slower powder OR a heavier bullet has the effect of raising the tail of the pressure curve (Where the bullet passes the port) above design spec.

Military M2 loads can be duped with any flavor of 4895 and a 147-152 grain bullet. The perennial Highpower target load for the M1 for the last 4 decades has been a 168-175 grain target bullet over IMR-4064 powder.

Please note that you CANNOT... rpt. CANNOT determine the suitability of a round for use in the M1 by muzzle velocity. It is quite possible that a round can be at the same muzzle velocity (Or lower) as an M2 round yet have a port pressure that is way over gas system spec. You MUST know the powder burn rate to know suitability for the M1. If in doubt, why risk it.

Just my 2 bits,
Swampy  (posted on the AR15.com site)

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used this ammo in my Garand, but with an adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC Hansen's offers a special Garand load.
Personally I am still shooting up a couple cans of Korean M2. I am going to be bummed when I finally run out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Load up on Greek from the CMP while you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top