Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:25:48 PM EDT
My Quality Hardware M1 carbine arrived from the CMP today. I was pleasantly surprised to find it has a spring-tube receiver.
In addition to the receiver, the trigger housing and stock are also Quality HW. The barrel and recoil plate are Rockola and the bolt is made by Underwood. The muzzle gages a hair over two and the metal is clean with nice park. Can't wait to take her to the range. Needless to say I'm very happy with my acquisition.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good

now I have to look up what the hell a spring tube receiver is
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice - extra good picking up a spring tube!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
looks good

Instead of the recoil spring going down a hole drilled into the receiver, the recoil spring and guide rod reside in a detachable tube on the right side of the receiver. According to Craig Riesch's book, "US Carbines, Wartime Production," early Winchester, Rockola, and Quality Hardware carbines came with them.

I've been collecting and shooting carbines a long time and this is my first spring tube receiver.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice! QHMC used Rock-Ola barrels, so could be the original.

I wouldn't be surprised at a QHMC being a spring-tube receiver, they all are.

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn I want one so bad! My grandpa brought two back from ww2 but my younger and older brother got them, I have always wanted one. Wont have the sentimental value but will be cool as hell!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very nice! QHMC used Rock-Ola barrels, so could be the original.

I wouldn't be surprised at a QHMC being a spring-tube receiver, they all are.

-Mark

I didn't know that prior to buying the gun and field stripping it, so it was still a suprise to me.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You got a really nice Carbine...........
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice,, I got out finally with my Inland SG a few days ago and I really like it alot..
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like you made out pretty good with that carbine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice score.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
No offense but weren't you just bitching about the CMP "hitting the bottom of the barrel"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
very nice
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No offense but weren't you just bitching about the CMP "hitting the bottom of the barrel"?

No offense taken.

What you perceived as bitching was just mild disappointment on my part because the number of nice guns to chose from is declining. It has been my experience during previous visits to the south store that there were better guns to choose from. I have been going there since they opened for business and never left there disappointed... until now.

Yes, Orest did say the Winchester Garands weren't in the best of condition. I still had hopes of finding something on the shelf that wasn't as rough as he made them out to be. Of course that wasn't the case.

The "specials" are beautiful guns if you want a nice shooter. I collect vintage/relic firearms so the specials don't interest me. Still, they are very nice guns.

I have not given up on the CMP and will continue to go there until they have run out of guns. I need a Winchester Garand to round out my collection and will eventually get one.

Have you been to the South Store? If not you owe it to yourself to make a visit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
looks good

Instead of the recoil spring going down a hole drilled into the receiver, the recoil spring and guide rod reside in a detachable tube on the right side of the receiver. According to Craig Riesch's book, "US Carbines, Wartime Production," early Winchester, Rockola, and Quality Hardware carbines came with them.

I've been collecting and shooting carbines a long time and this is my first spring tube receiver.

If it isn't too much trouble can you take a picture without the stock of your spring tube and a "normal" one ( I have a "normal" one just looking for a quick comparison
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
looks good

If it isn't too much trouble can you take a picture without the stock of your spring tube and a "normal" one ( I have a "normal" one just looking for a quick comparison

Typical receiver without spring tube:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
That Sir, Is one fine rifle!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you been to the South Store? If not you owe it to yourself to make a visit.

Yup multiple times, I bought 2 Winny SG's and 1 Saginaw SG SG

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup multiple times, I bought 2 Winny SG's and 1 Saginaw SG SG

Can you post some pics of your Winchesters?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
You got a nice Carbine from CMP, congratulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top