Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2009 6:13:31 AM EDT
Has anyone purchased one? If so, how is the quality? Is it foreign or domestic made? It looks pretty good and it's priced right at $49.60.

TIA!

ETA pics of mine added at bottom. Looks pretty good so far.

ETA definitely not a USGI part when compared to the genuine article posted by racecar.

ETA pics of other flash hiders on page 2.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag & bump.

I'd like to replace my neutered one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased a real USGI flash hider from SEI.
They usually have a supply after replacing them with a DC Vortex.
Give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Give them a call.

How much was it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it was $75.00 a year or two ago... it was reamed per NM specifications.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I got mine from Fulton Armory for around $50.  It's also NM.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I went ahead and bought one from Numrich's. Finish looks good. I'll post up some more pics when I get it installed on my M1A.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!

Do you have a bayonet to hang from it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think it was $75.00 a year or two ago... it was reamed per NM specifications.

I generally wouldn't piss on SEI if they were on fire, but $75 for a USGI hider that's been NM modded is a heck of a deal, even if it needs refinished.

Course, we've already heavily subsidized that price, so...

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sorry but those repros just don't look right. They do seem to be cast with an NM opening though.

The openings between the chines are way off and do not taper at the ends as nicely as the USGI ones do.

JR
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I am with you on this one racecar.
Didn't want to be the first negative nellie poster though!

The first pictured Flash hider in the OPs post appears to be belled at the exit apeature, not good as this area is prone to tine cracking and seperation.

The second flash hider is obviously investment cast.
Investment casting isn't always a bad thing but on a flash hider it tends to lead to early failure of the component.
The bayonet lug tends to wear rapidly and with heavy bayonet use the lug wears to the point the bayonet will not remain latched or latches very loosely and tends to wobble around on the lug.

The genuine article USGI flash hiders from SEI would be the way to go if you absolutely, positively have the urge to use your expensive rifle as a pike.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am with you on this one racecar.
Didn't want to be the first negative nellie poster though!
By the way, is the front sight just there for appearance?, Hopefully you don't have to have it that far off centerline to acheive base zero!

The first pictured Flash hider in the OPs post appears to be belled at the exit apeature, not good as this area is prone to tine cracking and seperation.

The second flash hider is obviously investment cast.
Investment casting isn't always a bad thing but on a flash hider it tends to lead to early failure of the component.
The bayonet lug tends to wear rapidly and with heavy bayonet use the lug wears to the point the bayonet will not remain latched or latches very loosely and tends to wobble around on the lug.

The genuine article USGI flash hiders from SEI would be the way to go if you absolutely, positively have the urge to use your expensive rifle as a pike.

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The USGI unit definitely looks better. What and where is "SEI?"
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but those repros just don't look right. They do seem to be cast with an NM opening though.

The openings between the chines are way off and do not taper at the ends as nicely as the USGI ones do.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Rotor_/M14/Parts/M14KitFlashHider.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Rotor_/M14/Parts/M14KitFlashHide.jpg

JR

Thanks for the clarification. Where can I get one like yours?

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.smithenterprise.com/
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strangely, couldn't find the USGI NM on their site.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strangely, couldn't find the USGI NM on their site.

They aren't listed on the site, call and ask for availability.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember visiting their website (along with a dozen others) looking for a USGI flash hider. Didn't see one listed so I kept looking. That's how I ended up getting the Numrich part.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Get one from Brownells.  It's listed as a Springfield.  They are made by Wayne Machine and the finish is real park and matches great.

The hiders from Numrich are not very nice, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get one from Brownells.  It's listed as a Springfield.  They are made by Wayne Machine and the finish is real park and matches great.

I went to their website and there is no picture. Can you post up a photo of Brownell's flash hider?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember visiting their website (along with a dozen others) looking for a USGI flash hider. Didn't see one listed so I kept looking. That's how I ended up getting the Numrich part.

I called SEI and asked if they had any.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to their website and there is no picture. Can you post up a photo of Brownell's flash hider?

Brownells lists 2 part numbers:

Neither part number has pics.

817-000-052  = "New model" "National Match" (so its probably reamed)

817-000-051

Love to have pictures of both part numbers (or a pic of the "new model" as I suspect it also has the lug) so we could figure out which is which...

Thanks

P.S. The catalog page listed online is for the factory parts listing in the back of the catalog. No pictures. Don't bother looking....
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Give them a call.

I sent them an email and this was their response:

Sorry to say we cant help you on this one yet.
Ron
––––- Original Message ––––-
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 7:33 PM
Subject: M14 flash hider

Do you have an M14 USGI flash hider with bayo lug in stock?
If so, how much is it?
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I spoke with Ron Smith at Smith Enterprise.  They have no plans to make USGI design M14 flash suppressors in the near future due to other projects taking priority.  He said they did make some but they have other pans in the fire right now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give them a call.

I sent them an email and this was their response:

Sorry to say we cant help you on this one yet.
Ron

I guess timing is everything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Springfield Armory Flash Hider and castle nut pliers

I bought this a few months back.  Comes with everything you need to make your rifle the way it should be. Hope this helps someone!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Springfield Armory Flash Hider and castle nut pliers

I bought this a few months back.  Comes with everything you need to make your rifle the way it should be. Hope this helps someone!

Can you post some pics of yours?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I just purchased this same "kit" directly from Springfield Armory for like $72.00 total after shipping costs to Tampa/St. Pete area. I expect it should arrive here sometime on or before Monday. When it does, I'll see about posting up some pics of it. (Though I have to warn you - I'm not that great with a camera. ).

Hope it helps...
FlDiveCop71

Posted 9/11/09...Never Forget / Never Forgive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brownells lists 2 part numbers:

Neither part number has pics.

817-000-052  = "New model" "National Match" (so its probably reamed)

817-000-051

Love to have pictures of both part numbers (or a pic of the "new model" as I suspect it also has the lug) so we could figure out which is which...

Thanks

P.S. The catalog page listed online is for the factory parts listing in the back of the catalog. No pictures. Don't bother looking....

You want the 052
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I recently ordered 817-000-051from Brownells and it came with lug and was reamed to NM.  Believe its a commercial Springfield Armory part and was a good match to the rifle.  Looked way better than the Numrich example.

Numrich should really be your last option for any part.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I recently ordered 817-000-051from Brownells and it came with lug and was reamed to NM.  Believe its a commercial Springfield Armory part and was a good match to the rifle.  Looked way better than the Numrich example.

Numrich should really be your last option for any part.

Can you post a picture of it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok. My order from Springfield Armory showed up this morning. and so as promised... Here are some pics of it:
(Hope this helps... My photo skills are kind of suck. )

Note: All of the above photos have been sized down to 800 x 600 to fit the forumn page. If you copy/paste the individual photo addresses into a new window/tab, you can view them in their original resolution of 1024 x 768...

All told, the total cost to my door came out to $72.00. Enjoy!
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Excellent pictures.

Now we know that the Midway kit is not reamed to NM specs....that's great info and you answered it. Thanks.

Question: Does the blister pack have a SA Inc part number on the back of it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the pics, FlDiveCop71. Yours looks better than my Numrich part but it still appears to be cast. Racecar's is still the best looking one so far.

Smith Enterprise (racecar's):

Springfield Armory (FlDivecop71):

Numrich's (mine):

Dealer's Warehouse offering (California merchant):

USGI unit from Charlie's Surplus in Chicago

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Excellent pictures.

Now we know that the Midway kit is not reamed to NM specs....that's great info and you answered it. Thanks.

I may be AFU on my  observation above.....I'm comparing my reamed hider to your pictures.....That may be reamed after all.

If possible, grab a cartridge and see if the bullet fit in the muzzle is tight or is there clearance...

The reamed 'hiders have an exit hole of about .406"

Standards are at .349"

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Excellent pictures.

Yes it does (have a code). It says:

UPC CODE    MA5007
M1A FLASHSUPRESSOR/PLIER KIT
   (Bar Code)            
7 06397 86036 3
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I may be AFU on my  observation above.....I'm comparing my reamed hider to your pictures.....That may be reamed after all.

If possible, grab a cartridge and see if the bullet fit in the muzzle is tight or is there clearance...

Standards are at .349"

Thanks

Ok, I just mic'd it, & mine's showing an inner entrance diameter (at the nut) of .372", and an inner exit diameter (at the muzzle end) of .414"...

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standards are at .349"

Thanks

Ok, I just mic'd it, & mine's showing an inner entrance diameter (at the nut) of .372", and an inner exit diameter (at the muzzle end) of .414"...

That's National Match....

Excellent. Now we know that the part is lugged and also reamed to NM spec, and we have a good source, and we have confirmed the SA Inc part number.

Since Brownells cannot seem to get it together on pics and catalog listings and descriptions, anybody who wants a lugged, reamed decent quality 'hider can look to Midway (too bad their website is  friggin slow and a pain to navigate)

Thanks for your time and effort.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#38]
We used #7 spiral flute taper pin reamers to NM the flash suppressors on Navy NM M14s.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd suspect that they are not reamed to NM specs but cast.

JR
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top