Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 4:03:45 PM EDT
looking at getting a garand for myself. it sounds like getting one from the CMP is the best choice. i do have a few questions though.
1) What is the quickest way i can get through the CMP system? i am within driving distance of the north store. i have heard that you can go there and pick out a rifle that you like. is this true? is there an additional cost going directly to the CMP?
2) On the CMP website, i see that they have several grades of garands. i am just looking for a shooter. definately not a safe queen. which grade do i want?
3) i would like to possibly hunt with the garand. i know that i cannot shoot commercial hunting ammo through a garand as is. what do i need to add to make it safe to shoot commercial hunting ammo? will this hurt the value of the rifle down the road. not that it really matters, but you never know.

thanks for any help you can provide. thanks, adam
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You are very fortunate to live close to one of the stores.  That is the best way to go, especially now.  There are no service grade or correct grades available at the stores right now due to the demand to fill those orders.  There are rack and field grades available and plenty of ammo.  I purchase a field grade last year that shoots great-the wood is more beat up than a service grade.  I would go for a field grade-ask the staff to borrow some gauges and select the nicest one.  Always call before you go or read the CMP message boards for reports on what's in stock.  You pay tax if you take the rifle with you which should cost a little more than if you had the rifle shipped home, BUT you have it now and don't have to wait.
If you want to shoot commercial ammo you need an adjustable gas plug-there are many posts on this topic on the CMP forums.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
i just may order one myself

Quoted:

You are very fortunate to live close to one of the stores.  That is the best way to go, especially now.  There are no service grade or correct grades available at the stores right now due to the demand to fill those orders.  There are rack and field grades available and plenty of ammo.  I purchase a field grade last year that shoots great-the wood is more beat up than a service grade.  I would go for a field grade-ask the staff to borrow some gauges and select the nicest one.  Always call before you go or read the CMP message boards for reports on what's in stock.  You pay tax if you take the rifle with you which should cost a little more than if you had the rifle shipped home, BUT you have it now and don't have to wait.

If you want to shoot commercial ammo you need an adjustable gas plug-there are many posts on this topic on the CMP forums.

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
so i dont need to be a CMP member to go there and purchase one? i figured i did, and i thought the membership took the longest. excuse the ignorance, but what gun is in better condition when talking about tack and field grade M1's? how much do they run?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to fulfill all the criteria but the easiest way to be a member of a CMP affiliated club would be to join the Garand Collectors Assoc. at the store for around $25. Do that and take your rifles home with you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You need to fulfill all the criteria but the easiest way to be a member of a CMP affiliated club would be to join the Garand Collectors Assoc. at the store for around $25. Do that and take your rifles home with you.

so asa long as i can show proof of membership to an affiliated club, i can go down there, show that membership, and buy a garand on the same day?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so asa long as i can show proof of membership to an affiliated club, i can go down there, show that membership, and buy a garand on the same day?

This is my understanding and I intent to test it this week. If you lived in SW Virginia we could carpool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
You have to meet ALL their requirements:

www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

U.S. Citizenship
Proof of Age
Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization (join the Garand Collectors Association at the store if needed)
Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity (read the list)
Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm (NICS check)

I believe there is a notary available at the store
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I drove out to the North store from SE PA to hand pick a Garand and a Carbine.  So long as you meet all of their specs your good to walk out with one...  however.....  CALL AHEAD!!!  Or at least check their forums.  I wanted a SG SA with a WWII Ser #, but when I went they only had HRA SG, I went with the HRA since I wanted to hand pick my first Garand- the SA will have to wait until next year. Sometimes they might not have any in stock...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I drove out to the North store from SE PA to hand pick a Garand and a Carbine.  So long as you meet all of their specs your good to walk out with one...  however.....  CALL AHEAD!!!  Or at least check their forums.  I wanted a SG SA with a WWII Ser #, but when I went they only had HRA SG, I went with the HRA since I wanted to hand pick my first Garand- the SA will have to wait until next year. Sometimes they might not have any in stock...

i assume SA means springfield armory, but what does HRA mean? does it really matter?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i assume SA means springfield armory, but what does HRA mean? does it really matter?

HRA is Harrington and Richardson Arms.

HRA and IH-International Harvester and Springfield made M1's after WWII the Korean War.

Winchester and Springfield made them during the war.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
so if i dont really care if my gun killed nazis or japs, then HRA, int'l harvester, and springfield fit the bill?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top