Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 2:54:37 AM EDT
I tried in the optics forum, and didn't get any bites.

Bascially, I'm looking to scope my M1A, and I've decided an ACOG is probably what's best suited for my needs.  Unlike a lot of people here, I don't have thousands of dollars a month to blow on gun stuff, so this will be a major purchase that take a couple months for me to save up for.  Before I buy it though, I'd like to find out from others how well their ACOG/M1A combo has performed.

I'd like to see some pics to help me keep my eyes on the prize too!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry,  I can't post a pic of the ACOG but I am in the same boat,trying to decide what scope for my M1A. Someone on this board suggested the following to me...

Pride Fowler Scopes

They have several models that may be worth looking at? Prices a lower than an ACOG too.

Anyone care to comment?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a thread with some pics and maybe some helpful info. Semi-hijack...is anybody running an Accupoint on their M1A?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I've scoped both of my M1As, a standard and a NM. It may sound stupid, but the optics take away from the M1A for some reason. Mine shoot really well with iron sights and a scope seems to be a waste of money.
That being said, I have a scope on a mount to go on my NM. A mildot Nikon on Springfield third genration mount with Warne rings. It's been quite a while since I did shoot it with the scope on it.
The novelty of scoping an M1A doesn't last very long nor is it an utilitarian as you think.
Dropping a thousand dollars on a scope and a few hundred on a scope mount that you may not use that much or very little, could be a largely unnecessary expense.
Definitely try shooting an M1A with a scope before you spend all the money on getting your's set up. Shooting one may change your mind.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to have to agree with the above poster. I'm not done dialing in mine, I think somethings still loose, and my stock may need to be rebedded, and I don't think my muzzle break was properly attached- a whole list of reasons why my SA M1A National Match seems to shoot 4 MOA with M80... ACOG TA55A.... I love the scope, I may put it on my PTR91 when it gets here, if I don't like it on that I may part with it... take a look

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going to have to agree with the above poster. I'm not done dialing in mine, I think somethings still loose, and my stock may need to be rebedded, and I don't think my muzzle break was properly attached- a whole list of reasons why my SA M1A National Match seems to shoot 4 MOA with M80... ACOG TA55A.... I love the scope, I may put it on my PTR91 when it gets here, if I don't like it on that I may part with it... take a look

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/svc350/ACOGTARGETS-1.jpg

How does it shoot without the scope and just iron sights?
Something isn't right with that rifle.
If you replaced that flash hider and didn't use an alignment gauge, it could very well be not right.
A NM flash hider by AMTU standards is ringed and not touching at the rear of the guide slots.
An alignment gauge is DEFINITELY a big plus to ensure it is installed straight.

Here is mine with the scope and cheek pad attached.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Dang superjc, that scope is high up.  What is the sight picture like?  Do you have to take your cheek off the stock to look down the lens?  If you don't have a good cheekweld that might mess with your shooting.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dang superjc, that scope is high up. What is the sight picture like? Do you have to take your cheek off the stock to look down the lens? If you don't have a good cheekweld that might mess with your shooting.

From what I've gathered, a cheek pad is a must if using an ACOG with an M1A.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Danc,

What scope and mount do you have there?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two scopes.  Both are Leupolds.  If you add the price of the two scopes, bases, rings, it would add up to almost $3k.  

One is a tactical, mil dot scope.  It is AWESOME!  I never use it.  

The other is a a target scope.  I use it set to 25X for accuracy shooting during reload testing.  That's all it gets used for.  Once the load is known good, I take the scope off.  I have taken my scopes to many, many matches.  In the end, I always shoot iron sights - even when scopes are allowed.

Think about that before plunking down your hard-earned money.  It will likely be the worst bang for your buck in shooting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey Danc,

What scope and mount do you have there?

Springfield Gen III and a Nikon 3x9 40mm objective with mildot. Not the best, not the worst, but toward the lower end.
For as little as I use it, it's fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The problem with some ACOG models is the small eye relief.  OK on an AR15 but not so good on an M14 where the mounting position is limited mounts scopes forward a bit.  Some people don't mind craning their necks I do.  SEI does make a special ACOG mount the mounts the scope farther towards the rear.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The problem with some ACOG models is the small eye relief. OK on an AR15 but not so good on an M14 where the mounting position is limited mounts scopes forward a bit. Some people don't mind craning their necks I do. SEI does make a special ACOG mount the mounts the scope farther towards the rear.

How about the Trijicon Tri Power then?  I know its a different beast, but I took a look through one tonight, and it seems like the eye relief would be a bit longer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
A TriPower is a non-magnified red dot, so it has unlimited eye relief.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A TriPower is a non-magnified red dot, so it has unlimited eye relief.

I figured.  Would that be a better fit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top