Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2009 4:54:03 AM EDT
I am getting ready to purchase a M1A waiting for a bonus check in june.  It will be a new Springfield.  From what I have been reading here it will probably have no gi parts.  Is there really a big difference, and how can you spot gi parts form non gi parts, incase I start upgradeing parts.  I'm leaning towards the synthetic standard and will probably purchase a wood setup from freds.  

Thanks Snowman357
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would not replace any parts.  Buy magazines and ammunition.  On the magazines, get CMI magazines from 44Mag.com or Palmetto State Armory.  There's two freebie electronic books you'll find helpful.  They are at www.lulu.com/m14rhad3 (keep the link cold).  I'm the author on one of them and the co-author on the other.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the M1A Standard, and it has never had a failure to fire, or extract. Everything is stock on mine I've only ran about 500 rounds through it since I bought it in Oct of 08.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing to keep in mind with commercial replicas of US military rifles.
The parts may be commercial cast steel or refinished USGI.

Commercial cast "replica" parts should always be suspect, since these were not made to government standards and quality can vary wildly.
Look at the QUALITY of the parts, not the nice finish on top of the parts.

It's not uncommon to see the used USGI parts looking like new from a fresh parkerized finish, but to be worn to the point of being almost un-serviceable.
The makers buy surplus parts wherever they can find them, refinish , and inspect "AS WELL AS THEY CAN", given the time constraints.

For that reason, inspect ALL parts for wear under the new finish, and if you can find GOOD USGI parts for critical items, it can't hurt to at least have them in reserve if the factory installed part fails.
Bolt parts are a prime example of good parts to have.
Just remember, almost all parts these days are used, and also may have been refinished, so you have to pick carefully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top