Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:23:15 PM EDT
I have a Springfield standard M1A with a H&R chrome-lined barrel. I just put a scope on it and will be putting a bi-pod on it.It came stock with a two-stage trigger. I put a G.I. Fiberglass stock from Fred's M1A stocks on it. It even has the selector-switch cut out.. What kind of groups can I expect out of it? I don't know what kind of ammo I will be shooting out of it, especially with ammo prices being the way they are  right now. Now, I'm not looking for "1 hole at 100 yards" accuracy, but I do want to get good with it. Do I need to bed the barrel? How important is it, and if so how do I do it? Any help appreciated. Thanks, jason
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends. I have a built M1a, Douglas barrel, bedded stock. In that configuration with good ammo it's good for well under 1" at 100yds. I've put it into an unbedded stock just for curiosities sake and it became a 3" rifle.

Just my personal experience.

With a basically stock rifle and milsurp ammo, I honestly doubt that you'd see much difference bedded vs unbedded.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I used this to help me with my bedding project
Link

I also used Duff's book that Different recommended but the pictures suck in his book and that website will help fill in the blanks. I've heard bedding can cut groups 40-50% but it all depends on how bad the fit is on your original stock. I can't comment on the improvement as I'm waiting for my NM stock ferrule to show up so I can get the project finished up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top