Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 7:46:38 AM EDT
I just got my M1 Garand barreled reciever, must say I am very happy. However the bolt cloeses on a no go guage but however is about 2-3 thousands from closing on a field guage. These are SAAMI spec guages and not military spec.  Would you guys shoot it until I get a new barrel or leave it alone till then, or try a new bolt from fultons first before a rebarrel. The barrel looks like it could be fairly new old.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got my M1 Garand barreled reciever, must say I am very happy. However the bolt cloeses on a no go guage but however is about 2-3 thousands from closing on a field guage. These are SAAMI spec guages and not military spec.  Would you guys shoot it until I get a new barrel or leave it alone till then, or try a new bolt from fultons first before a rebarrel. The barrel looks like it could be fairly new old.

Personally, I would not fire it. At the very least until I checked it with another bolt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Try different bolts.

If you bought a stripped barreled recvr you no longer have the bolt that originally was headspaced to it but you should be able to try a # of bolts till you find one that headspaces.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If the bolt won't close on a field gauge I personally would fire it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
What brand gauges are you using? A new bolt may or may not help. Its still OK as long as it doesnt close on the Field Gauge but you need to what it closely. Try a 65 series bolt they are the longest

In order of length,shortest to longest; as long as they are not worn
-12SA
65-series
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#5]
It's fine.

NO GO is only used when installing a new barrel to ensure that it stays in spec through it's useful life.

Field Reject is the one you need to use.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's fine.

NO GO is only used when installing a new barrel to ensure that it stays in spec through it's useful life.

I think you are alittle confused. A Go Gauge is used when installing a new barrel and it should close on it.
A No Go is what is normally used to check headspace and should not close on it.
If it does close on a No Go it is getting excess headspace and is at the end of its life but all is not lost
If it does not close on a Field Gauge there is still some life left but you need to closly moniter with the Field Gauge as you use the weapon as it is at the end of its life getting close to excessive headspace
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What brand gauges are you using? A new bolt may or may not help. Its still OK as long as it doesnt close on the Field Gauge but you need to what it closely. Try a 65 series bolt they are the longest

-12SA
65-series

unfortunately I am using a 65 series, the bolt appears to have very little if much at all wear on it. The reciever and barrel are 1954's SA. I had bought it with the intention of replacing the barrel anyway but  the barrel looks very very good inside and out, and well I just wanted to use it since it was hopefully original with the reciever. I may just replace the barrel on it. Oh yeah the go and no go are clymer and the field gagae is forster, I know their are slight differences in them but clymer is all I have ever used to check space with, personal choice I guess. I did recheck the headspace, When closed on the field gage it is like 3 thousandths from closing.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Theoretically its safe but not by much. Sounds like a good canidate for a rebarrel
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I am thinking so too, but man if you guys could see this barrel you would be like Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.but overall I am happy  with what I got from the CMP, in fact I got mucho nicer than I thought so overall I am still a very happy guy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I would guess thats why they sold it as a barreled reciever ( headspace)  Heck they are still a deal for the reciver alone
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's fine.

I think you are alittle confused. A Go Gauge is used when installing a new barrel and it should close on it.
A No Go is what is normally used to check headspace and should not close on it.
If it does close on a No Go it is getting excess headspace and is at the end of its life but all is not lost
If it does not close on a Field Gauge there is still some life left but you need to closly moniter with the Field Gauge as you use the weapon as it is at the end of its life getting close to excessive headspace

+1  exactly why I always err on the side of safety.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-12SA
65-series

unfortunately I am using a 65 series, the bolt appears to have very little if much at all wear on it. The reciever and barrel are 1954's SA. I had bought it with the intention of replacing the barrel anyway but  the barrel looks very very good inside and out, and well I just wanted to use it since it was hopefully original with the reciever. I may just replace the barrel on it. Oh yeah the go and no go are clymer and the field gagae is forster, I know their are slight differences in them but clymer is all I have ever used to check space with, personal choice I guess. I did recheck the headspace, When closed on the field gage it is like 3 thousandths from closing.

OP,
   Below is info from FORSTER's website on their gages. I have listed the gage dimensions taken directly off my Forster 30-06 gages. I would highly recommend that you get Jerry Kuhnhausen's M1/M14 Shop Manual.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/gages.asp
Forster offers three lengths of headspace gages per rifle caliber. In order from the shortest to longest, they are: GO, NO-GO and FIELD:

GO: Corresponds to the minimum chamber dimensions. If a rifle closes on a GO gage, the chamber will accept ammunition that is made to SAAMI’s maximum specifications. The GO gage is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight, accurate and safe chamber that will accept SAAMI maximum ammo. Although the GO gage is necessary for a gunsmith or armorer, it usually has fewer applications for the collector or surplus firearms purchaser.
NO-GO: Corresponds to the maximum headspace recommended for gunsmiths chambering new firearms. This is NOT a SAAMI-maximum measurement. If a rifle closes on a NO-GO gage, it may still be within SAAMI specifications or it may have excessive headspace. To determine if there is excessive headspace, the chamber should then be checked with a FIELD gage. The NO-GO gage is essential for checking a newly-reamed chamber in order to ensure a tight and accurate chamber.
FIELD: Corresponds to the longest safe headspace. If a rifle closes on a FIELD gage, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI’s specified maximum chamber size. If chamber headspace is excessive, the gun should be taken out of service until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith. FIELD gages are slightly shorter than the SAAMI maximum in order to give a small safety margin.

DIMENSIONS LISTED ON MY FORSTER GAGES:

FORSTER NO-GO: 2.0547"

FORSTER    FIELD: 2.0577"  which is 0.003" longer than NO-GO dimension. If your bolt is your quoted  2-3 thousandths short of closing on the FIELD gage, your headspace is just over NO-GO dimension and is fine just as 30Caliber told you above. He did not just fall off the turnip truck and land here.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I may be wrong but I think He means it is 2-3 thousands space under the bolt lug from being locked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I may be wrong but I think He means it is 2-3 thousands space under the bolt lug from being locked.

that was my thought also,

and just to throw it out there,,

USGI gages are
go, 1.940
no go 1.946
field 1.950

I am curious how the OP measured the few thousands from closing,  and if it was measured correctly, (not slamming anyone, just curious)

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would guess thats why they sold it as a barreled reciever ( headspace)  Heck they are still a deal for the reciver alone

Yeah I bought it for the reciever only with a rebarrel already planned. Yeah I got the cheapo deal CMP had and you can't go wrong even though I have heard some stories about completly pitted out and rusted out recievers. The one I got was made in 54 and if theres rust or pits, I cannot find any. And the same goes for the barrel, thats whay I was asking some craziness on here, because the barrel is bright, shiny and has good looking rifling left.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Not to hyjack your post but I went to the North Store recienlty and the $125.00 barreled receievers were very badly pitted so I passed on them. I did get one earlier in th year that is a 1945 reciever and correct barrel, MW 1 TW 3 , no rust or pitting anywhere. It was a real steal and made a great shooter

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that was my thought also,

and just to throw it out there,,

USGI gages are
go, 1.940
no go 1.946
field 1.950

I am curious how the OP measured the few thousands from closing,  and if it was measured correctly, (not slamming anyone, just curious)

U.S. Military & SAAMI headspace dimensions are totally different.  Kuhnhausen addresses this in his shop manual. His best estimate on conversion of USGI to SAAMI headspace is:

GO: 2.049" SAAMI
NO-GO: 2.055" SAAMI
FIELD: 2.058" SAAMI

Taking Kuhnhausen's USGI-SAAMI conversion dimensions into consideration, the 2.0577" FORSTER 30-06 SAAMI length FIELD gage has a 0.0003" safety margin built into it just as stated on their website. If an M1 Garand bolt does not fully close on the FORSTER SAAMI length FIELD gage, the rifle has SAFE headspace.

FIELD: Corresponds to the longest safe headspace. If a rifle closes on a FIELD gage, its chamber is dangerously close to, or longer than, SAAMI’s specified maximum chamber size. If chamber headspace is excessive, the gun should be taken out of service until it has been inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith. FIELD gages are slightly shorter than the SAAMI maximum in order to give a small safety margin.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top