Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 11:06:19 AM EDT
I've long wanted to scope my M1A.  Since ammo is next to impossible to find, I figured now would be a good time to spend my money on other stuff, like optics.  I'm not real enthusiastic about doing the traditional M1A scope mount.  The mounts seem pricey, and from reading Sadlak's website, I have to concern myself with whether my M1A reciever is built to spec.  Considering I've already sent my M1A back to SAI 3 times already, I don't have much faith that it is.

So, I've decided my best bet would be a scout scope mount.  Would it be as easy as getting my hands on a Scount/Socom handguard and putting it on my M1A?  Would there by any considerations for a left handed shooter?

ETA:  This thing seems to be a solution, but how do I mount it?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the M14 with optics mounted out front.

If you don't share my appreciation of the modern stocks from SAGE and TROY, I suggest the railed hand guard from UltiMAK.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Heh, very nice, very nice.  However, it would take me quite awhile to save up for a Sage stock.  I'm open to the Ultimak mount, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on the quality.  I too was thinking about putting a T1 on top of my M1A if I went this route.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Heh, very nice, very nice.  However, it would take me quite awhile to save up for a Sage stock.
I'm open to the Ultimak mount, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on the quality.  
I too was thinking about putting a T1 on top of my M1A if I went this route.

I decided against this SOCOM build, but I still have the stock, UltiMAK and T-1 for a future build.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
You're killing me here, man!  Are SAI's Scount mounts of decent quality?  Because this is looking awfully tempting for the price...

Springfield Armory M1A Scout foward scope mount

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats high, I've bought them and the hand guard for as little as $55 shipped off this board. I removed the scout mount off mine it rubbed the operating rod when it came from the factory. I sold my original and bought another one just for the hell of it cause I thought I wanted to go that route. It was just too ugly and once again rubbed my operating rod. I put a standard scope mount on and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
So, by rubbing against the oprod, does it cause extra wear to the rod or mount?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Its wears metal off the op rod, and the mount, it also is not good for accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its wears metal off the op rod, and the mount, it also is not good for accuracy.

Not good. I guess I'll pony up the cash and just get the Ultimak then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Ultimak's one one of my M14's, a Mini 30 and an AK. They make an excellent product for a decent price...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
One word.....Sadlak.The best.... and no i am not affiliated in any way.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_home.html      
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One word.....Sadlak.The best.... and no i am not affiliated in any way.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_home.html      

Sadlak does not make a scout mount. Their receiver mounts are excellent as are the Ultimaks. I have them both.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
If your getting op rod wear from your SAI mount, maybe it's just me, but than you need to remove some aluminum from where the mount is contacting. After all, it's just an aluminum mount and you can always take it off after you fit it and recoat it with Gunkote or Alumahyde II.

I know guys don't like to think about fitting parts though and would rather just piss and moan about it.
It's not hard though and the M14/M1A is about fitting parts in a way.

For more mounts, you'll also got the Amega Ranges mount as a choice and a Knight RAS if you can find one for a reasonable price. There's also the Vltor Clusterfuck rail if you can find someone selling theirs.

There is definitely room for someone to make more handguard mounts to me, but we've got what we've got rigt now. There's the UTG too, but that's airsoft quality to me.

Amega

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have a problem "fitting" a part so much, I just have problem "fitting" a part that was supposed to be "fitted" from the factory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top