Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2009 10:07:02 AM EDT
Well, hopefully this is not a dupe - though it probobly is since every time I learn something cool, EVERYONE already knows about it...

Anyway, last night I was reading my American Rifelman, from the NRA, one of the best issues I have ever read, lots of cool stuff in this months, anyway, they had a section with all the new stuff comming out and FINALY federal has come out with a new production 30-06 and the charge is specificaly designed for m1 garands...

as im sure everyone knows you usually dont want to use new production rounds in m1 garands becuase it can damage the op rod, ect...

anyway, i have wondered when someone would finaly do this, and they finaly did, only question now is what is the price gonna be...
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw this too, it will be nice to have the option to get some brand new, good quality ammo instead of relying on surplus. Like you said though, the cost is probably going to be prohibitive compared to the CMP stuff. Still, it'll be a nice option.

Regards,

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully it's not hideously overpriced. I can't shoot my Garand locally because the NRA range doesn't allow you to use ammunition that attracts a magnet, a test both LC and HXP M2 Ball generally fail.

I don't mind paying a little bit more, but over $18 or so for a box of 20 and I'm going to balk.

-Mark
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, my position exactly. Lets hope it's reasonable. American Eagle makes some good stuff.

Regards,

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Federal provided ammo for the last couple Garand matches I hit at Camp Perry.  Would have been 2002 or 2003.  

I would imagine a bit less expensive than hunting ammo but not much.  With commercial 223 running 9.00 to 12.00 per twenty, I would guess this stuff in the 15.00 range.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
At $15 per twenty I'd be as pleased as a pig in mud. Hornady wound us up by telling us they were making Garand-safe ammo - and gave us $30 a box match ammo.

I don't want match ammo. I want commercial production M2 Ball spec ammo.

-Mark
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
They used to do this.  They must've stopped if this is deemed "new".  

I have a GCA article somewhere around here that was about shooting them accurately and the writer of the article claimed that AE had the proper powder, etc to fire it from your garand.  This was a couple of years ago though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It's nice that they are doing it to appease all the internet Federal 150 will blow up your Garand BS and calm peoples nerves and paranoia about using it in Garands... but it isn't going to be cheap ammo.
Personally I see no problem with the old Fed 147 FMJ ammo in a Garand, it is on the warm end but tolerable in a serviceable Garand with good op-rod spring.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, hopefully this is not a dupe - though it probobly is since every time I learn something cool, EVERYONE already knows about it...

LOL, you're in luck because i almost posted this here a few days ago, but instead posted it on the CMP forums.

I would like to try this ammo out, and if nothing else, I will have a box or 2 of once fired 30-06 brass when finished
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's nice that they are doing it to appease all the internet Federal 150 will blow up your Garand BS and calm peoples nerves and paranoia about using it in Garands... but it isn't going to be cheap ammo.
Personally I see no problem with the old Fed 147 FMJ ammo in a Garand, it is on the warm end but tolerable in a serviceable Garand with good op-rod spring.

I think I'm going to copy and save this for the next time this comes up.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys, the ONLY way to go is to reload.  $20 or $30 for a box of twenty rounds is outrageous.  It takes almost 100 rounds to shoot one match.  At that price, 1,000 rounds costs $1500.  You can buy a zoot-supreme reloading outfit for half of that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#13]
For comparison Midway has the the Hornady M1 Garand brand for $31.49 per box.  It is supposedly very accurate but still cost prohibitive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't Winchester-Olin sell white box .30'06 FMJ for a long while in the '90's? And I wonder where Federal is making their AE '06. I wonder if the cartridge-making machinery for .30'06 is still intact at Lake City.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Didn't Winchester-Olin sell white box .30'06 FMJ for a long while in the '90's? And I wonder where Federal is making their AE '06. I wonder if the cartridge-making machinery for .30'06 is still intact at Lake City.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Winchester has /had a 147 FMJ 30:06 load they probably still do as it was the white box Winchester USA. Havn't seen any for awhile.

Remington UMC has a load also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#18]

thats a semi decent price...

so this is kida a stuped question, but how does one tell that the load is made for surplus rifles/garands, is it becasue its labled M2 ball?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

thats a semi decent price...

so this is kida a stuped question, but how does one tell that the load is made for surplus rifles/garands, is it becasue its labled M2 ball?

M2 ball indicates it meets the specs for military M2 ball, which is the ammo for the Garand.

I have talked to those folks about it and have done business with them for about 15 years.  I have quite a bit of that plus a shitload of CMP Greek and LC.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hopefully it's not hideously overpriced. I can't shoot my Garand locally because the NRA range doesn't allow you to use ammunition that attracts a magnet, a test both LC and HXP M2 Ball generally fail.

I don't mind paying a little bit more, but over $18 or so for a box of 20 and I'm going to balk.

-Mark

How often do they walk by with a magnet to check?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top