User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2002 2:53:49 PM EDT
just bought a battle pack of 140 rds
who is the best supply guy on 308 ammo
saw dans ammo run a ad for 308 in july issue of
shot gun news, he had free shipping.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
aimsurplus.com had portugese .308 1000rds for 139.99 free shipping.
i bought some last month
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Classic Arms has had my money for 5 weeks & won't ship because they don't have any.  Don't believe it when they tell you it's being prepared for shipment "right now".
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I got some from Dans as well. I didnt see much Port a couple months ago when I was shopping. I have a bird in hand mentality and I think its going to get harder of the near term to buy surplus. I bought a total of 4 of the tubs of 1260 rounds at $184 per. I accuracy and chrono checked it against the Port and some Hirtenberger I still had and a couple others. I got no complaints. It is close enough in my Scout that I dont think I will have any problems due to "outshooting" the SA stuff.  I have ran about a half case and have had no ammo related problems with the SA.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I got some from Dans as well. I didnt see much Port a couple months ago when I was shopping. I have a bird in hand mentality and I think its going to get harder of the near term to buy surplus. I bought a total of 4 of the tubs of 1260 rounds at $184 per. I accuracy and chrono checked it against the Port and some Hirtenberger I still had and a couple others. I got no complaints. It is close enough in my Scout that I dont think I will have any problems due to "outshooting" the SA stuff.  I have ran about a half case and have had no ammo related problems with the SA.

WHat makes you think the surplus will be in short supply?  The upcoming world problems? or further us limitations on the common man?
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than Hirtenberger,i have found that Portugese surplus is the best 7.62 out there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at a gunshop today, and they had a dusty old case of S.A. on the shelf. I couldn't see any date or lot info. It was a case of 1260 in a heavy brown metal can. What date S.A. ammo have you guys been getting, is it decent? It wasn't priced and only the helper was there. Does it go for the same price as Port? I just got a case of Port and it was from '79, if I remember correctly. I also got some of the RG on links, but haven't tried it yet. Looks real clean, anybody shoot this stuff?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know if the S.A. stuff burn clean (i.e. much powder fouling, an acrid ammonia-like smell) compared to Hirtenberger or Portugese?  How about the accuracy and velocity of the S.A.?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if the S.A. stuff burn clean (i.e. much powder fouling, an acrid ammonia-like smell) compared to Hirtenberger or Portugese?  How about the accuracy and velocity of the S.A.?

The masses are asses.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
jg sales has the .308 SA battlepacks for $19.95
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Classic Arms doesn't have any.  Finally asked for my money (>$1200) back today.  Don't order any .308 SA from Classic Arms!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had good and bad experiences with South African. I've gone through two lots that shot fine, and one lot that stunk to high heaven and couldn't hold the black at 100yds off the bench. Same day, same gun, same bench, put seven rounds of Federal in a 1" ctc group. Of the good SA that I had, I did a comparison shoot between it and Radway Green, and found that the RG held a slightly smaller group (about 1.5" to 2") than the SA, and the SA's POI was about four inches higher at 100yds. I've found that the Portuguese I have now shoots almost as good as Federal match ammo. I figure that until I either start reloading or can put all my rounds in the ten ring, the Port will serve just fine for me as match ammo at $0.13/rd compared to around $0.85/rd for Federal Gold Medal Match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top