Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2008 3:39:44 PM EDT
  Wanting a new m1a1 kind of like the short socomII not sure if there are any dissadvantages.  I had heard it used a different gas system to accommidate shorter barrel is this true and do parts interchange?  How much velocity do you really lose and does it matter when you only plan on shooting sa ammo anyway?  Any suggestions welcome. thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
standard length... you dont even need a scope...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
  Wanting a new m1a1 kind of like the short socomII not sure if there are any dissadvantages.
 I had heard it used a different gas system to accommidate shorter barrel is this true and do parts interchange?
How much velocity do you really lose and does it matter when you only plan on shooting sa ammo anyway?  
Any suggestions welcome. thanks

My first and second M14 type rifle have 18.0" barrels.
The first was a Scout that was slowly transformed into a MK14 SEI Mod 0, the 2nd is a MK14 SEI Mod 1.
My third and fourth builds have 22.0" barrels. These are for ranges beyond 750 yards.

My final build that is just about ready to ship off to SEI will have a 16.25" barrel.

One thing you should notice is that these rifles are addictive, you can't own just one.
IMO, the 18.0" barrel is the best all-around, general purpose length.
However, now that SEI has a SOCOM muzzle device kit - the 16.25 may become the better GP choice.
And then there is the standard... I have two, but I've never fired them.

I started in the middle and I'm about to have at least one of each ~ good luck
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless your going to be shooting out past 800, the Scouts are the most universal and can be as short as the Socom's while still giving you more standard muzzle attachment, barrel and gas system options.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
M1a1:

M1a:

Two completely different things.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
M1a1:

www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/images/M1a1Airborne/airborne.jpg

M1a:

www.chuckhawks.com/m14_m1a.jpg

Two completely different things.

Last time I checked the M1A1 is only 18"
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
 Gentlemen thank you for your replies.  Right after I made that post I knew someone would point out my mistake m1a vs. m1a1,  just a keyboard punch mistake.  However again thank you it looks like I'll be headed for the 18''.   One last ? do gi parts interchange in the new rifles ie. scout?headbang.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top