Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2008 5:52:14 PM EDT
I'm asking this here because of the CMP connection. If a mod objects, I'll understand completely. Just wondering if anybody else ordered one. Sent my paperwork in this AM. Anybody? And these are the .22 trainers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Put the paperwork in this evening.

I understand from the CMP website that these are very nice rifles and I missed out the last time.  Says they have about 2k rifles.  Mossberg made some very high quality rimfores and I have a M42C that is fucking scary accurate.    I hope I get it soon!

I may order an additional rifle if $$ permit.  This was one contingency I allowed myself this year as I decided to not buy anymore guns this year..  But I knew they were coming available by the fall and like I said, I missed out on the last round when they were very cheap.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
M44 US is a sweet rifle.  I already have 2 so I won't be buying any more.  I bought mine at $75.00 + $20.00 S&H.  But then I bought the Remington 40-X so I don't shoot my Mossbergs much anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the M44 adequate for someone wanting to get into smallbore competition?  I have an M42c and it is a eal tack driver.  But it feels a little light in the hands.  I notice the M44 are heavier and have thicker stocks..
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had one for years.

That is the aluminum trigger guard sold by Brownells.

Link Posted: 8/13/2008 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a m44 but it a mossberg
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
"Is the M44 adequate for someone wanting to get into smallbore competition?"

My smallbore buds who compete tell me these are potentially very good "starters" to get used to position-prone/ slung, small bore shooting. Depending on your prone/sling/sighting skills, I hear these can be very good shooters. But for real competitive small bore matches, you may want to improve the trigger, upgrade the sights and get a stock that is more adjustable to your shooting style than a mil-spec solid stock.
This shouldn't be taken as a negative since once you factor in the delivered price..they are great deals! If you try shooting against similarly-equipted competitors, it would be an even match.
Throw one "clunker" in with a full match-prepped Anschutz and you might be at a disadvantage...or not depending on the skill behind the trigger.

Link Posted: 8/14/2008 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The Mossy 44's are great little rifles.  Solid and quite accurate.

I have been a Highpower shooter for some years but have never tried a rimfire prone event till this Spring.   All I had that would work within the rules was the Mossy 44 I have.

I shot a 1499-35X with it (1600 pt. match)... first try at the game.   Not bad....

As already stated.... the Mossy 44 is a good starter for prone shooting, but can't compete at the high end of the game.  Most shooters at the top end are holding Anschutz and other High $$$ target rifles.

Just my 2 bits,
Swampy

Garands forever

owner Swampworks Inc. / JLK Bullets

The difference between a Hot Dog and a Weenie is a very fine line.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity....

You say that you believe in man made global warming???
AHHhhh BWA-HA-HA-hahahahah......
Sorry, I was having a "moment". See the last line above.
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine came today!  U.S. Property marked.

no pics yet but picture a new rifle that has collected 60 years of dirt and grime..  Its that nice.  I stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning inside and out, helped the wood along with some Danish oil and she is perfect.  The bluing is deep and near flawless, the bore is a mirror inside with crisp lands and grooves.  The stock has two small blemishes that show to be very recent but the trigger guard is perfect and the safety dots are also present..  The rear sight(S-100) seemed to be jacked up at first until I took it apart and cleaned the crud out of the workings.  Put a USGI web sling on it and it's ready to go.

Seriously, this rifle looks like it is brand new..  Orest Michaels stated they originally belonged to the USN and were recently transferrred to the Army and then to the CMP.  I could not be happer!
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had one for years, it is a great little rifle!
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've had one for years, it is a great little rifle!

what kind of accuracy do you get from yours?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
 I have a 2 ea. A blued one and a Praked one from CMP back in the day of $75 ea .  They are cool. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got mine today. What ammo are you guys running in yours? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if mine (and the Winchester 52C I replaced it with when Wichita State's battalion deactivated) is still in the ROTC arms room at Ole Miss. I need to get one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just got mine today. What ammo are you guys running in yours? Thanks

I have been shooting Federal 510 with great results..  These are great rifles.  On par with modern rimfires in the $400-$500 easily..
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't shot mine past 50 yards yet, but up to that point you simply can not miss with these rifles.  A friend got one as well, and it shoots just as well.  He's shooting a mix of everything out of his, and with the exception of some Australian crap, results were all nothing less than amazing.

I'm shooting CCI Mini-Mag and CCI subsonic out of mine.  Little or no difference in POI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top