Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 2:45:14 PM EDT
Hi all, I just received my M1 Carbine from the CMP.  What a fun handy little rifle!  

Using Remington commercial ammo, I found the little rifle shot quite high - something like 18-24" high at 100 yards.  Is anyone else having this problem?  The sights are the style graduated to 300 yards.  I have it on the lowest marking I can.  Which apparently is 1/1.5, not sure I understanding the markings.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No reason to compare yours sight height with another as they arent all the same.You need a new taller front sight and will have to file it to proper height. I had to replace mine. May require a front sight puller, mine did ,some can do it without. All depends how tight it is
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, you should be close to a 350 yard zero then.  Just kidding.  I have no clue.  But I've heard it said many times that they filed the front sights.  This one might have been on another rifle and zero'd differently.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The M1 Carbine typically shoots a little high. 25-yd. sight-in puts POA about 3" below "center" and 50-yd. sight-in is about 6" below "center".

This is a 30-rd. group at 25 yards. The "A" is POA. 3" up is "center".

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes but not 18" -24" high
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of hold were you using? The only reason I ask is because using a 6 o'clock hold (top of the front sight post on the bottom of the bull's eye) might help to alleviate your problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What type of hold were you using? The only reason I ask is because using a 6 o'clock hold (top of the front sight post on the bottom of the bull's eye) might help to alleviate your problem.

Was shooting lollipop (6 o'clock) and was still scraping the top of the paper.  Just seems weird for the CMP to send me one with sights so apparently FUBAR.  Groupings weren't all that hot either, looked like 4" at best at 100 yards, maybe wider.  Shooting brand new Remington ammo.  At $0.50 a shot, I'd hope that my problem isn't the ammo.  I shoot high-power competition, so I'm pretty sure I'm not completely inept.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
. 4 inch group isnt all that bad for a carbine and yes it can be ammo. Certain rifles will like some brands better than others. CMP sent you USGI rebuilt carbine , exactly what you paid for. These are military surplus and may need some tweaking. Its completely normal, I had the same issue. Bought a new taller sight, filed down to prope height, good to go
.50 per rd? you need to find a new source for ammo!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was shooting lollipop (6 o'clock) and was still scraping the top of the paper.  Just seems weird for the CMP to send me one with sights so apparently FUBAR.  Groupings weren't all that hot either, looked like 4" at best at 100 yards, maybe wider.  Shooting brand new Remington ammo.  At $0.50 a shot, I'd hope that my problem isn't the ammo.  I shoot high-power competition, so I'm pretty sure I'm not completely inept.  

Test fire with a few more mfg'ers ammo to see if it's consistently shooting high--------then think about getting a taller f-sight.

4moa out of a USGI Carbine is Superultra Tactical NM Ultimate Sniper accuracy...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
In my Inland, Sellier and Bellot, Wolf and some other brand (cannot remember the name) all shoot to different POA, only a few inches, not the 18-24 youre talking about.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Test fire with a few more mfg'ers ammo to see if it's consistently shooting high--------then think about getting a taller f-sight.

4moa out of a USGI Carbine is Superultra Tactical NM Ultimate Sniper accuracy...

YEP.  The carbine was meant to be a replacement for the .45 handgun.  Not a tack driver.  4MOA is excellent.  I think I've gotten like 4-6 MOA with mine with some worse than that.  Minute of Man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top