Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2008 5:53:38 PM EDT
Anyone tried these form wideners yet? Just curious as they are 15 bucks each and they say they are usgi or something along those lines.. I was curious myself since all I have ever used are CMI mags which I really do like alot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
"Something along those lines" is not U.S.G.I.. They either are or are not G.I.. If they cost $15.00 new and are advertised as "mil spec" or some other such B.S., run away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That what I was thinking, that they may not be what they are supposed to be, I bought one anyway and will try it out. If it works good I may get some more and post on arcom if I had trouble or not with them. I have only used CMI mags and they are great. I seen these for 15 bucks so I was hey maybe some others have tried these.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
They look like Taiwanese "Type 57" magazines.  The one I have works great and plan on getting a few more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
CMI is the ONLY thing to put in the M1A.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why is that?  
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Midway had the Taiwan Type 57 mags for $12.95 recently. I ordered 4 more of them just for the hell of it. I have over 20 of those type mags and they all work splendidly out of either of my M1As.
The only thing I do to new mags when I get them (besides cleaning them of course!) is run a soft Arkansas stone on the mag lips to smooth them out.
I did that to new mags and don't expect any problem with them.
The ones at Wideners look like they are blued and nor parked. I'd say if they are the Taiwan M14 mags, they should be good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey finally got around to getting the magazine and actually trying it out. Its blued,actually 20 rounds, NOT flemsy junk, and I actually did not have any feeding issues with it, shot 100 rounds total through it and tried different round counts in it and it never gave any issues. I emailed Wideners abou the manufactuer and they do no tknow the exact manufacture but it is an imported magazine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey finally got around to getting the magazine and actually trying it out. Its blued,actually 20 rounds, NOT flemsy junk, and I actually did not have any feeding issues with it, shot 100 rounds total through it and tried different round counts in it and it never gave any issues. I emailed Wideners abou the manufactuer and they do no tknow the exact manufacture but it is an imported magazine.

I'd love to know who the distributor is that sold those magazines to Widener's.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
well, good to hear it worked out.  M1As are notoriously picky about mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
well, good to hear it worked out.  M1As are notoriously picky about mags.

Yeah, I was very curious and kinda stunned that it didn't have any issues. I have all CMI mags and have never had any issues with them. I got a pro mag this week so i'll have  to try that one out this weekend. Mostly I am just looking at different mags and seeing what works well. But I think CMI may be the best out there right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bought three of what is probably the exact same mag from Cope's a few months ago. Two of them work well and the third will not seat correctly. One of the two that do work requires more force to seat than the other, but still works OK.

I later bought 4 used USGI mags and they fit FAR better and all work. One did have a broken mag spring, so I used the one out of the mag that does not seat to fix the USGI.

They probably aren't THAT bad of mags, but you can get used USGI mags for around $5 more if you look around. To me, its worth the extra $5/mag for something I know will work. These seem pretty inconsistent, based on my experiences and from reports others have posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top