Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2008 3:43:39 AM EDT
I need to rebarrel my field-grade garand, most likely with a douglas from Brownells. This is for a shooter, of no collector value.

Can a good loocal general-purpose gunsmith do the work?

What will it cost on top of buying the barrel?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  find out if your "local gunsmith" has the proper tooling or whether he uses a pipe wrench on the workbench in his garage.
2.  Just a shooter.  A Wilson barrel is fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have an M1 guy do the work.  I've seen a lot of gasguns broken by neighborhood gunsmiths.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember reading that folks were pretty happy with Springfield Armory Inc. rebarrel jobs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think you need to re-barrel it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure the replacement is parkerized and not blued.

Blued parts on an M1 is heresy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Labor will usually run about $80.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
I remember reading that folks were pretty happy with Springfield Armory Inc. rebarrel jobs.

I can almost drop a .30 bullet into the muzzle. Rifling is a bit shot out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Generally I'd say.... NO.

If a gunsmith's "Work to do" rack does not have HALF or better of the slots filled with either M1 or M14 style rifles, then he's not the one I'd have work on one of mine.

Ronnie Morris
Dean Dilabaugh = DGR
Clint McKee
Tim Strait aka Warbird
Roland Beaver
Hook Boutin

etc........

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Generally I'd say.... NO.

If a gunsmith's "Work to do" rack does not have HALF or better of the slots filled with either M1 or M14 style rifles, then he's not the one I'd have work on one of mine.

Ronnie Morris
Dean Dilabaugh = DGR
Clint McKee
Tim Strait aka Warbird
Roland Beaver
Hook Boutin

etc........

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

I'd listen and pay very close attention to this post were I the OP here.

All my M1 & M14 work completed in the past was done by SE (Smith Enterprises) in AZ., that said you can forget about them having time to do your re-barrel at this point in time. IIRC they are busy working on M14s for our military.

Other than those mentioned above you might check out Fulton Armory.

mike
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You can probably find a very nice barrel through the CMP or go the DGR and have them install a new Danish VAR barrel, which are excellent barrels IMHO.

I have a FG Garand as well and although I have not replaced my barrel yet, I do plan to do it when I get the rifle reparked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Other than those mentioned above you might check out Fulton Armory.

Fulton = Clint McKee  

Swampy
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
...If a gunsmith's "Work to do" rack does not have HALF or better of the slots filled with either M1 or M14 style rifles, then he's not the one I'd have work on one of mine.

...Roland Beaver...
Swampy

Garands forever

Roland built a garand for me a few years ago -- took a bit and was not inexpensive, but first class work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
DGR at http://www.dgrguns.com/index.html   Quick turn time and reasonable prices.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Ronnie Morris. He does Fulton's bedding jobs. Maybe more. Deal direct. Should run about $300ish with a Barnett barrel. Have him check the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Champions Choice will also do it,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top